Foreign Motorbike Driver Dies Following Accident At Unfinished Stretch Of Road In Jomtien

Rimmer

It was only a matter of time until the long-running road-works on the Thappraya Road leading to Jomtien Beach would claim a life. In the early hours of Tuesday Morning, Police and Rescue Services were called to the road following a single vehicle road accident. Lying on the partially completed road was Mr. Dergey Plekhanov, thought to be from Russia. He had been thrown from his motorbike after he had hit a road-sign which ironically urged drivers to exercise caution due to the road modification work. The victim, who was not wearing a safety helmet is believed to have driven down a part of the road that was closed to traffic. He sustained a major head trauma at the scene and despite efforts by medical staff to revive the man, he was pronounced dead-on-arrival at hospital.

www.pattayaone.net

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

2010-02-09

post-22250-1265712632_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1265712654_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1265712679_thumb.jpg

sorry, but in which other languages should it be written?

english, russian, chinese.....whatelse??

(from my own experience, i know, when i drive at normal speed, i can see if there is something in the middle of the road...)

Edited by goldfinger

sorry, but in which other languages should it be written?

english, russian, chinese.....whatelse??

(from my own experience, i know, when i drive at normal speed, i can see if there is something in the middle of the road...)

You are a rare one then. I am amazed at how foreigners drive here on scooters. Only a matter of time before they are a grease spot on the road. I saw a guy doing at least 80km/hr down Suk with his girl on the back. She had no helmet and he was wearing a bicycle helmet...no shirt either. Combine that with weaving in and out of traffic and you have a serious accident waiting to happen....

"He had been thrown from his motorbike after he had hit a road-sign which ironically urged drivers to exercise caution due to the road modification work"

From the photos...it looks like this warning was only in Thai!

The country is Thailand, the local language is Thai.

Are the signs in France in English?

The phrases "no helmet" and "excessive speed" were in the report, these say a lot more than the inability to read the sign.

good point...I spent 6 weeks driving through 4 countries in Europe recently. Almost all of the signs are the international graphic signs. Easy to figure out what to do...

Try driving around Bangkok while looking for a freeway entrance! Frustrating to say the least....

You are a rare one then. I am amazed at how foreigners drive here on scooters. Only a matter of time before they are a grease spot on the road. I saw a guy doing at least 80km/hr down Suk with his girl on the back. She had no helmet and he was wearing a bicycle helmet...no shirt either. Combine that with weaving in and out of traffic and you have a serious accident waiting to happen....

Just happened to me yesterday, driving on 2nd Road near BigC. Two idiot farangs going left and right through the traffic at high speed Almost hit my car and way to fast to brake in case of crossing persons. BS!

"He had been thrown from his motorbike after he had hit a road-sign which ironically urged drivers to exercise caution due to the road modification work"

From the photos...it looks like this warning was only in Thai!

The phrases "no helmet" and "excessive speed" were in the report, these say a lot more than the inability to read the sign.

Firstly condolenses to the family RIP.

Ok no helmet = dumb, but excessive speed? Where are the witnesses to confirm this? Its the usual excuse in every accident and there is never any investigation. I know of many incidents similar, red sign black writing at night with zero lighting, even the most observant drivers could miss this. I don't agree that its anability to read the sign as you say, it the inability to even see the damed thing in the first place, there rarely lit. How many reports have there been of similar? What about water trucks etc in the outside lane of a two or three lane road stopped or doing 5kph watering the central reservation with no rear lighting at all. Its always blamed on and deemed "The fault of the driver and excessive speed", Really? I don't think so.

Well put...driving here is like navigating a mine field! Needs to be done with extreme caution. I see at least one scooter accident a week. Yesterday, there was a gal on a scooter parked behind a truck on 2nd road. The guy got into the truck and backed right into her...could not have been looking as she was right there directly behind him...screaming! Knocked her to the ground and ran over the scooter. Did not see the rest as I was cruising by....crazy....

In the UK when we build a new road the road is closed to traffic until it has been completed and is safe to use.

Having seen some "Farang" riding bikes around Pattaya I really wonder why the need a crash helmet at all, (as they seem brain deed to start with).

normally, everybody which has some time of experience in driving cars(or bikes) should know, that when there is a big sign directly on the road(no matter in which language), that this will mean "Attention".

For sure it will not be any advertising for a nearby Hotel or the next Tesco.

no one scares me more than those foreigners with the red plates. they are wobbling all over the place. always look like they are about to fall over. those dudes drive me crazy because i know most 18 year old thai dudes know how to wheel and deal out of a jam. these dudes who are white knuckled on the Fino are looking for an accident.

no one scares me more than those foreigners with the red plates. they are wobbling all over the place. always look like they are about to fall over. those dudes drive me crazy because i know most 18 year old thai dudes know how to wheel and deal out of a jam. these dudes who are white knuckled on the Fino are looking for an accident.

The ones who scare me are the 100kg guys on the back with their 40kg gf driving!

most thai road signs ARE in English and Thai, even out in the country side.

in most tourist areas, if they have not got a sign in english , most thais will attempt to make one them selves. But being a majot Tousist Hub, any Danger signs SHOULD be in the International Worldwide Language which in English..

I think the only place not to have them is well... France. But we all no why that is :)

RIP to the guy and condolences to the family.

But based on the story and the photos, I think that death is a risk he took all by himself.

As such, I cannot be lead to feel sorry for the guy, but it must be a sad day for his friends & family they have my sympathy.

Darwinism at work.

Drive safely, wear a helmet and spine, knee and elbow protections - especially in Thailand!

Edited by manarak

normally, everybody which has some time of experience in driving cars(or bikes) should know, that when there is a big sign directly on the road(no matter in which language), that this will mean "Attention".

Yes but he probably hit the sign because he was concentrating so hard on missing the next pothole!!

Yes but he probably hit the sign because he was concentrating so hard on missing the next pothole!!

I drove past the scene the following day. He went flying over a fat bamboo pole strung across the road to prevent cars, maybe 12 inches off the ground, but not painted white or in any other way signalling its presence, so he would have seen the sign but not the deadly booby trap slung across the road. If he was speeding, he didn't stand a chance.

Edited by sharecropper

Sorry but i have very little sympathy for tourists on m/bikes ,no helmets ,drinking and racing around all over the place ,one hit me yesterday saw the damage he had caused and took off as fast as he could . live by the sword die by the sword, personally i wouldnt allow tourists to hire m/bikes ,but on a lighter note i wouldnt allow them out of their hotels either.