What Should My Girlfriend Study To Get A Decent Job In Canada?

Neole

Learning French won't help her get a job with the Canadian government. What job would it be? You suggested typing? Maybe it's a little known skill in Canada?

To get immigration approval, she's got to have skills that are in demand, and if they're professional skills, then her qualifications have to be approved by the appropriate Canadian professional organization. And they protect their turf! That's why foreign qualified doctors are driving taxis, as are architects and accountants!

Contact the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok and ask them what skills and professions are in demand, and what qualifications are necessary for each.

From what you've told us, she's got a better chance applying for refugee status!

Are you asking about getting a degree in thailand before you go to canada ? If you are why waste the money and time ? It would be better used for the expenses of getting her into canada and letting her study there.

Wont degree in canada be much more expensive?

Yes but it will also be worth something.

Learning French won't help her get a job with the Canadian government. What job would it be? You suggested typing? Maybe it's a little known skill in Canada?

To get immigration approval, she's got to have skills that are in demand, and if they're professional skills, then her qualifications have to be approved by the appropriate Canadian professional organization. And they protect their turf! That's why foreign qualified doctors are driving taxis, as are architects and accountants!

Contact the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok and ask them what skills and professions are in demand, and what qualifications are necessary for each.

From what you've told us, she's got a better chance applying for refugee status!

Immigration is not the problem, as she would be married to me. I just need her to be able to get a job.

If she is interested in cooking, the Thai government has EXTREMELY cheap cooking schools for Thais. This might be worth a look.

On a side note, the books used to teach nursing are in English, but that doesn't always help.

Will check out cooking shes definitely interested in that (tho I doubt her cooking skills)!

If nursing books are in english then I guess the exams in canada wont be that much tough. But its still a much longer course than we are willing to spend on. Her younger sister's doing it and its 5 years long.

Immigration is not the problem, as she would be married to me. I just need her to be able to get a job.

Okay, sorry, my misunderstanding. No problems getting into the country to stay, so she can basically pick up any job available.

Thai cooking does look appealing as there are a number of Thai restaurants in many different cities.

Then again, simply getting a job as a temp typist for short term cash is a possibility, again depending on the demand in whichever particular city you locate.

And that city choice is important for what jobs might be available. Maybe check with the embassy to see what different demands are in different cities?

Generally, the job market is a bit tight at the moment due to recessionary influences. But some jobs are always in demand - maybe work in the oil patch? :)

Canada is becoming more and more politically correct all the time. Governments are bending over backwards to placate the aboriginal people. Any student who majors in First Nations people and their history will have a step ahead of other students. And, as already stated, anyone who is fluent in French will also be further ahead. Many, if not all Federal government jobs today require both French and English language.

Canada is becoming more and more politically correct all the time. Governments are bending over backwards to placate the aboriginal people. Any student who majors in First Nations people and their history will have a step ahead of other students. And, as already stated, anyone who is fluent in French will also be further ahead. Many, if not all Federal government jobs today require both French and English language.

She cant really major in first nations people in thailand, but I will get her started on french, even if not in a college.

Okay, sorry, my misunderstanding. No problems getting into the country to stay, so she can basically pick up any job available.

Thai cooking does look appealing as there are a number of Thai restaurants in many different cities.

Then again, simply getting a job as a temp typist for short term cash is a possibility, again depending on the demand in whichever particular city you locate.

And that city choice is important for what jobs might be available. Maybe check with the embassy to see what different demands are in different cities?

Generally, the job market is a bit tight at the moment due to recessionary influences. But some jobs are always in demand - maybe work in the oil patch? :)

Thanks. Cooking is looking good. Will make sure to check with the embassy.

Yo, Quebec French is proper French and not a dialect. Only the accent is different, along with a few local slang expressions

Perhaps in theory, but not in practice! I studied 'European' French from the age of 5 until 18, also lived.worked in France and Belgium for 5 years. My French was good!

But I could hardly understand a word of Canadian French when I heard it :)

Better to move to Quebec and learn the spoken language there - it ain't French as we know it

Simon