Growing Cauliflower

nam-thip

I've been trying all kinds of everything hydroponically over the past year. Cabbage came most of the way and they faded away, as did brocolli but the cauliflower made! It seemed to do best in shaded places. Am starting another load spaced amidst the tomatoes but wouldn't know how successful for a few months.

Best of luck

I have growing tomatos hydroponics,never think about cauliflower.What fertilizer you use?

I've been trying all kinds of everything hydroponically over the past year. Cabbage came most of the way and they faded away, as did brocolli but the cauliflower made! It seemed to do best in shaded places. Am starting another load spaced amidst the tomatoes but wouldn't know how successful for a few months.

Best of luck

post-84311-1265776041_thumb.jpg

post-84311-1265776158_thumb.jpg

Hello nam-thip, are you growing in dirt? Use google to search for growing in the tropics/sub-tropics, you may get more info searching for broccoli instead of CF.

For the hydro growing, I have grown any, but I lettuce nutes should work, your just growing a flower, not a fruit, so no Potassium Sulphate if you mix your own.

Both broc and cauliflower are not heat lovers.

rice555

• 1 month later...
Thanks for replies so far.

I'm still researching and will report back with any info I find.

Hi

OK I have no experience in growing brassicas in Thailand. But I am a dab hand at growing them. Albeit in the UK. I have also thoughtabout this issuefor the future.

They all have simiar requirements.

Here The babe product to grow are the chillis (another subject). It took me a bit but essentially all the reverse requirements are needed to grow the brASssicas in Thailand successfully (unless there are some new strains devloped that like hot and dry)

They have to have humus or compost. An average sized parcel box with three trowel fulls of builders lime well mixed.

They love shade. Even here I can grow them best where they see sun for perhaps 3 hours max in summer. They hate direct heat or they will bolt. They also have to be copiously watered.

Club root (the roots look thick like little hands) is a problem. Thai cabbage a particular target (I successufully grow this in the UK at the start and end of the summer-they hATe the heat-thai seeds-i wonder how they grow over there). The lime reduces this. Ideally set your seeds off in the shade in separate compost (ie not the soil they are going into). High temps discourage germination. They all like firm earth so be cruel and pressin hard and don't get carried away in getting the soil fine.

In essence look at the worst spot for growing (no sun and you should be OK). Lots of water and lime. Do not get any European winter types as they need some cold and a significant change in light hours to produce (ie purple broccoli) That said there are some strains that are around that try to AVoid this issue.

They should produce 3/12 after gernmination. Intercroping with toms is good but toms generally tend to prefer more acidic soil. That is not to say they wont work though.

I have wondered abouit the reverse raised bed. Here to get things off quickly a raised bed lets the soil dry and warm quicker with more light. A trench should aid with reduing temp/storing water and keep them away from the scorching sun. Only an idea I havenot tested.

I have to admit, I would also only go for agriculturally used F1 varieites (another subject-but usually F1 is labelled on Thai seeds). Reduces weak plants.

Keep watered and out of the sun