Retirement In Chanthaburi

paulsenp

Within the next 2-3 years I expect to move to Thailand with my (thai) wife. We would like to stay somewhere in Chanthaburi, and have already spent some time there, mostly in the area between Chanthaburi town and Khlung.

Does anyone here, ProfessorFart perhaps, know the area well enough to come up with suggestions about where to stay? It should not be in Chanthaburi town, but on the other hand the town should be easily accessible (not more than 30 minutes by car). My wife's family owns (since 3 years ago) a small orchard about 7 km outside Khlung, but although I like the area, it is a bit too remote for me.

Are any other farangs living in or around Chanthaburi?

Paul,

"with suggestions about where to stay?"

Can you expand on that please

Do you mean a nice area?

Do you mean a place to live permanently ?

Hi there,

I mean a nice area where I can stay permanently (or at least for a few years).

A place with relatively easy access to the city, but still in quiet surroundings.

I expect to go and search for a place together with my wife a couple of times, but it might make things easier if we have some ideas about where to look before starting the search.

I'd be greatful for any suggestions.

Paul,

"with suggestions about where to stay?"

Can you expand on that please

Do you mean a nice area?

Do you mean a nice area?
no he means the most horrid and awful area you can suggest, ie with ppl being killed everyday and the local transport is by buffalo.

alas nobody lives forever so there is no such thing as permanently.

anyway im sure they are valid questions in your opinion.

paul, if you go about 10km out of the town the beaches are nice there, just drive around till you find a nice beach you would like to live near then look for housing.

Thanks Norman for your suggestion, and for the nice pictures.

We have already spent some time driving around in the area between Chanthaburi, Khlung and the coast and found some quite nice places. One place we have in mind is the first stretch of the road going from Sukhumvit to Laem Sing. We don't necessarily have to stay close to a beach, but living near the coast is, almost, a must.

I am sure we will be able to find a good place, it would just be nice, if someone here knew just the perfect place to spend some years.

well the perfect place would be pattaya, but you would have to dump your wife :o this may not go down to well, ie she may get a bit angry and feed the ducks with bits of you...

the best thing you can do is drive round there and see wot you like, if you like fishing you want a rocky coastline, if you like swimming then you probably want a beach, klaeng really doesnt have anything going for it so it would be better if you were nearer chan.

• 1 year later...

I am living right on the beach in Laem Sing Chanthaburi. There are a few houses for rent and buy around here and is a very nice area. At the moment we are waiting for them to finish building a bridge across the river to the beach at Hat Chao Lao which will cut the 60 km journy through chantaburi to about 30km.

There is only one resort and restaurant / spa on laem sing beach Le Village De Napoleon which advertise for free on my new (under construction) website http://www.mychantaburi.com/napoleon . they also offer a retirement / home stay package. If anyone else wants free advertising let me know I am only interested in boosting the community in chantaburi as it is very hard to find the expats who are here and also very hard for newcomers to find where is good to eat, drink and find good entertainment - even lonely planet and other guides seem completely lacking... so if anyone would like to put a link on there it would be great. I dont have much time either so anyone who wants to help with the site would be great.

There is a growing amount of expats in chantaburi and I think that in the next couple of years we will see more and more. I have a forum on www.mychantaburi.com/forum but I dont have many people on there and hardly any conversation! It would be good to see some people on there and we can maybe start something. It needs a bit of work so if anyone would like to be a moderator/admin please me know.

Mr Jame!