Breakfast Like A King...

Bearnagh

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please remember we mods walk a line between what is information for our members and protecting our sponsors.

Regards

CB

With all due respect, why are sponsors "protected" and what are they "protected" from?

Sponsors pay money to the Forum to advertise their products and/or services. This entitles them to consideration by the moderating team. It does not allow them to break the forum rules nor abuse their status as a sponsor. One of the reasons they are helped by the moderating team is because sometimes they are targeted by members for malicious reasons.

Hope this helps

CB

....would the word " touche' " seem to fit......

:)

Yes it does, the FYI was added as an edit after the initial post was written. I should have added more detail.

CB

don't bother with reviewing the Leprechaun it closed down long ago, more's the pity :D

Isn't about time you got yourself reacquainted with Chiang Mai :D

Sailomjoy, a hole in the wall place next to Black Canyon Coffee on the corner of Ratchamanden Road at Thapae does good breakfast sets. Fresh OJ, scrambled eggs, two slices of toast with butter and marmalade and a cup of decent coffee for about 70 baht was always my favourite when staying at the Montri Hotel across the road.

So basically in CM you cannot eat breakfast like a king,only like a pauper....? in run of the mill joints.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Some places are quite good. I spend a lot of time in Bangkok and Pattaya and, in general, Chiang Mai has much better breakfasts than either place and less expensive as well.

What about the buffet breakkies in a good hotel?

What about them?

If you are going to breakfast like a king,i think the best place to start is in a high standard hotel,capiche?

I think there are a few in CM.

If you are going to quote me at least have the time to put some thought into your response,after all it is a forum and your reply is neither helpful or clever :)

Recap; sitting in a bar or cafe is not breakfasting like a king,that was what this thread is titled yes?

What about them?

If you are going to breakfast like a king,i think the best place to start is in a high standard hotel,capiche?

If you are going to quote me at least have the time to put some thought into your response,after all it is a forum and your reply is neither helpful or clever :)

Recap; sitting in a bar or cafe is not breakfasting like a king,that was what this thread is titled yes?

I'm pretty sure that the OP is looking for a good place to eat rather than opulent surroundings. Most of the local hotel breakfast buffets are somewhat expensive and are not up to much, hence Asmerom's sarcastic reply.

Edited by Ulysses G.

What about them?

You strike me as an out-of-town interloper.

To me, and I would say many others, this king mentioned in the post title, is a king loved by the people,,,,,,, The king you mention appears to me, to be one admired by those known as the pompas azzs of the world....... which camp are you in???? .....

For you this translates to mean that very, very good and excellent breakfasts can be, and are, had at many smaller places.....

Try some, you may be suprised.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Lol, :) out a town interloper and your the one saying i am pompous :D

Breakfast can be got in all cities and towns in Thailand the same you are talking about,full monty and a brew for anywhere between 100/200 bt they are ten a penny,and easy to find,some good some so-so you take your chance,as an interloper this forum is ideal for gleaning info on places to visit...or so i thought?

Your king translation is just waffle mate,50 posts on this thread and only Ulsses G has mentioned a few places and a couple of other posters, no input from you? i should say only to blah blah others.If you do not have anything worth while to comment on the subject why bother.

So there is not anywhere that does a nice big spread(hotel or restaurant) that you can feast at for an hour or 2 until your stomach is satisfied?

No need to be opulent or worry about cost as it is not something you would do everyday,just for a treat or special occasion or when on holiday in the area.

IE; Breakfast like a king

Breakfast can be got in all cities and towns in Thailand the same you are talking about,full monty and a brew for anywhere between 100/200 bt they are ten a penny,and easy to find,some good some so-so you take your chance,as an interloper this forum is ideal for gleaning info on places to visit...or so i thought?

Your king translation is just waffle mate,50 posts on this thread and only Ulsses G has mentioned a few places and a couple of other posters, no input from you? i should say only to blah blah others.If you do not have anything worth while to comment on the subject why bother.

So there is not anywhere that does a nice big spread(hotel or restaurant) that you can feast at for an hour or 2 until your stomach is satisfied?

No need to be opulent or worry about cost as it is not something you would do everyday,just for a treat or special occasion or when on holiday in the area.

Well spoken.

Well spoken.

Written

the best English Brekkie in Chiangmai. Fried tomatoes, hashbrown, mushrooms, beans, sausages (British), bacon (British), Eggs (fried or scrambled) two slices of toast, orange juice and two cups of tea/coffee, 140bht!

"hashbrown" has no place in an English breakfast. That's American. Does anyone in CM do Black Pudding?

Actually, there are many of them. However, they tend to serve a lot of Thai food and lunch type items with a small selection of breakfast stuff unlike a plush hotel back home. That is why no one has recommended any. :)

"So there is not anywhere that does a nice big spread(hotel or restaurant) that you can feast at for an hour or 2 until your stomach is satisfied?"

Actually, there are many of them. However, they tend to serve a lot of Thai food and lunch type items with a small selection of breakfast stuff unlike a plush hotel back home. That is why no one has recommended any. :)

Oh well, since you insist :

The Amari Rincome at the top end of Nimmenheiminda does a buffet breakfast and, if you're lucky,you might get a freshly fried egg or two or maybe someone of your stature would go straight to the "egg station: and see his eggs fried before his very eyes.And if they flip them over and ruin the yolk, have them do a couple more. The bacon tomatoes mushrooms and baked beans maybe lukewarm, the toaster require a second attempt but there's lots of coffee and I'm sure you could spend a happy hour guzzling to your heart's content in quite a pleasant environment. Fit for a King? Maybe a prince. He'd probably need 350 baht in his trouser pocket.

The DuangTawan down Loy Kroh does a similar buffet, again, in very spacious surroundings.These are two middle range places both very comfortable well appointed environments with excellently attentive waiter service.

The really expensive ones I have no experience of. Meridien,Chedi,Dusit 2,Shangri - La. Maybe they have spreads more to your taste.

I'm not sure either of the above would really qualify for a "special occaision". It's not often that breakfast is cited as a special occaision but I'd be interested to hear what the top enders serve up.

Edited by Asmerom

"So there is not anywhere that does a nice big spread(hotel or restaurant) that you can feast at for an hour or 2 until your stomach is satisfied?"

:)

For anyone who cares. This post is attributed to me, but it was actually written by:

QUOTE (NADTATIDA1 @ 2010-02-13 17:22:28) post_snapback.gif

For anyone who cares. This post is attributed to me, but it was actually written by:
QUOTE (NADTATIDA1 @ 2010-02-13 17:22:28) post_snapback.gif

Yes, I care, Ulysses. I apologise fo the misattribution but I did put Nad........what's his name's words in quotes which I thought might indicate it was actually a quote. The fact is I simply haven't mastered the dark art of including multiple quotes in my reply and when I do try, it always regurgitates saying," too many quotes." I just have to improvise. :)

"hashbrown" has no place in an English breakfast. That's American. Does anyone in CM do Black Pudding?

We've got Black Pudding at The Olde Bell. And a couple of other Brit favourites not often found in these parts like Bubble and Squeak, Fried Bread and Kippers. you can either get a set or choose a la carte.

First of all, Black Pudding is not something you eat for breakfast but something that leaks out of your body just before you pass away. Secondly, a real breakfast consists of ham, bacon and sausage with eggs and some type of potato. There are no baked beans and there is no vegetable, tomato, on the plate. There is toast. There might be biscuits and some type of gravy or there might be some Mexican eggs with Ranchero sauce.

There should be omelets and some Thai breakfasts.

To eat like a king for breakfast, because all the breakfasts in town are lacking, you need to eat at a hotel or at home.

Black pudding is British Caviar! Ranchero sauce? sounds revolting!

I used to work on Northern Ireland and have had many Ulster Breakfasts at the Gallaher factory in Ballymena.

I'll give some thought to Potato bread - I used to love it!!

What about Soda bread. I dont know how easy that is to make.

First of all, Black Pudding is not something you eat for breakfast but something that leaks out of your body just before you pass away. Secondly, a real breakfast consists of ham, bacon and sausage with eggs and some type of potato. There are no baked beans and there is no vegetable, tomato, on the plate. There is toast. There might be biscuits and some type of gravy or there might be some Mexican eggs with Ranchero sauce.

There should be omelets and some Thai breakfasts.

To eat like a king for breakfast, because all the breakfasts in town are lacking, you need to eat at a hotel or at home.

GG, you are obviously a "colonial cousin" "Ham and some type of potato" - we are taling breakfast right?.

Myself, being a displaced Englishman would consider a "proper" breakfast to consist of: back bacon, 2 eggs (fried or scrambled - preferably fried for utmost oil & cholesterol content), baked beans (the healthy bit), mushrooms - preferably the big open "field" type, a couple of decent sausages (Waitrose @ Tops are close), tomatoes, black pudding and a couple of decent slices of fried bread.

Bloody lovely and we can compare notes in ICU after a weeks worth! ;-)

Cheers,

Pikey (a dedicated salad dodger).