Vigo 4-door 4x4

surat04

I took my vigo to Toyota Suratthani this morning for a routine (180k) service. I also asked them to check the clutch as in the mornings when the engine is cold it was a bit juddery when you pulled away.

Toyota phoned back and said the clutch was worn out and could not be adjusted, so i agreed to have it replaced. 3 parts have been replaced the plate assy. bearing assy. and cover assy. When i paid the bill i noticed another bill for 500+ baht for "skimming the flywheel", this is when i remembered a previous post and started to worry. The clutch peddle is much lighter than before but on the short journey home i still felt some judder when pulling away, not smooth like i was expecting. This is with a hot engine now not cold as it was previously. Is this Judder caused by them skimming the flywheel or could there be another problem?

Thanks

surat04

Toyota clutches in their hilux and landcruiser models have been known to do what you are talking about for years now when they are cold, I would of left the old clutch in, as you said it is normally only a problem for the first few minutes after startup and then it disappears.

You normally know when a clutch is worn out, as it starts to slip and your old clutch wasnt doing that, was it?

Toyota clutches in their hilux and landcruiser models have been known to do what you are talking about for years now when they are cold, I would of left the old clutch in, as you said it is normally only a problem for the first few minutes after startup and then it disappears.

You normally know when a clutch is worn out, as it starts to slip and your old clutch wasnt doing that, was it?

You are correct, the old clutch wasnt slipping, Yet. Unfortunatly i wasnt aware of this problem with hilux models. If i had known i would of kept the old clutch as now it is also juddering when the engine is hot. I should of known better than to take advice from a main dealer!

Put a new flywheel in it. Then if it isn't perfect make them eat it.

They should have asked your permission before facing that flywheel. Now the tolerences are wrong.

180,000 km ; very impressive.

I am annoyed that they didnt consult me about the flywheel but they might already be worried about eating it as i have had issues with them before!

180k and i have been taking it easy for the last 2 years. The first 160 was done in 3 years, then only 20k in the last 2 yrs!

You are correct, the old clutch wasnt slipping, Yet. Unfortunatly i wasnt aware of this problem with hilux models. If i had known i would of kept the old clutch as now it is also juddering when the engine is hot. I should of known better than to take advice from a main dealer!

Yes, well after covering a few million kilometres in Toyota 4x4's I would have to virtually be mute not to have noticed these problems. Now you need to seek out someone who can sort that clutch out for you, which probably wont be that easy. Recently in a 100 series landcruiser a friend of mine and I replaced the toyota jobbie with a aftermarket heavy duty clutch, had the flywheel machined & after a couple of hours of fighting a massive gearbox back into place the vehicle was finally shudder free.

Ive never had one that shudders when hot, so I feel you may have some issues to sort out, but its not rocket science, so you should be able to find someone whos good with clutches to sort it out & it shouldnt be expensive either.