If You Get Frustrated Some Times......

skippybangkok

When I go back I'm gonna drink some good cheap wine, a range of different beers, quality international food, catch up with some good live sport, but yes, I will be thankful when I get back to Thailand.

Hey kurnell..better make sure you buy that return ticket back to LOS before you start on that lot...

Standard carton of beer, nothing fancy..now up around the 1300 baht mark

And dont even ask about prices in pubs and clubs,

I shouted a girl one of those small bacardi breezer bottles the other night..$7.90 = 230 baht :D

basic meal in a restaurant: 650 baht and still pretty ordinary

:)

Edited by ozzieovaseas

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen. :D

---o0o---

Lost drivers' licence for driving in the left lane in peak hour traffic on a main highway at 61km/h in a 60 zone. Multanova on Canning Highway at 4:30PM.

Bring on the gas ovens!

:D

Sorry, that is absolute rubbish, in Australia (all states) nobody gets knocked off for speeding only 1km/h over any limit, full stop. I've heard many nice 'stories' like this over the years and its absolute rubbish. :)

It happened to me in 2004. If you want to stand up for my cause then fine. My name is Sean Moran and I have Western Australian Drivers' Licence #3345070. Fix it and call me when you have the compensation organised, maestro.

Xig Heil!

Just driving 1 Kmh over will not cause you to lose you licence unless you already have other offences. Sorry but I have seen few fatal accidents right outside my house caused by speeding, maybe this does not bother some people but I am not too happy about seeing someone die in front of me and can't do anything to help them.

---o0o---

Lost drivers' licence for driving in the left lane in peak hour traffic on a main highway at 61km/h in a 60 zone. Multanova on Canning Highway at 4:30PM.

Bring on the gas ovens!

Sorry, that is absolute rubbish, in Australia (all states) nobody gets knocked off for speeding only 1km/h over any limit, full stop. I've heard many nice 'stories' like this over the years and its absolute rubbish. :)

It happened to me in 2004. If you want to stand up for my cause then fine. My name is Sean Moran and I have Western Australian Drivers' Licence #3345070. Fix it and call me when you have the compensation organised, maestro.

Xig Heil!

Very clever of you to put this information up, a search of the electoral role for you address and this should be enough information for identity theft people to have a field day.

---o0o---

Bring on the gas ovens!

Xig Heil!

Very clever of you to put this information up, a search of the electoral role for you address and this should be enough information for identity theft people to have a field day.

A good mate of mine, just after they brought in the 50kph limit in suburban streets (previously it was 60kph) in Victoria.

driving down to the shop "milk bar" on a long weekend.

3kph over the limit on the way there. 3kph on the way back. long weekend == double demerits. lost 6 on the way there, 6 on the way back.

milk and bread ended up costing him $600 and 3 months loss of licence.

and what is crazy is from a camera.

whereas in NZ you only lose points if you are witnessed speeding, dont lose points from a camera, only if a cop pulls you over.

crazy.

Australia has:-

Social Security, Family assistance & Medicare.

Reasonably good Public schools & hospitals.

Superannuation and Pensions

Public Libraries, museums, galleries, parks, recreation areas.

Reasonably safe and well maintained roads.

A police force where corruption is rare.

Standardized & clear immigration & Visa rules with the right to appeal a decision.

A customs service where corruption is rare.

A postal service where thief is rare.

Freedom to speak out against and challenge the government.

Rights to own land.

Protection against discrimination.

Do you get any of this in BKK?

Sure, Oz is expensive and highly regulated, but it's a case of, you get what you pay for.

A couple of years ago I took my two kids for a holiday in my hometown in NZ. They had never been there & it was a few years since my previous visit. This was one of the best times in my life expereincing familiar landscapes & people through the eyes of my children. There was a distinct feeling of not wanting to come back to Thailand amongst the three of us but there were other issues here which contributed to this.

The car rental company in NZ did deduct money from my credit card for a speeding ticket which I had no idea about but originated from a hidden camera. As great as NZ is there is still far too much to like about Thailand to keep me here.

If you do not care about the local conditions for economic equity, fair opportunity, access to an education & healthcare then Thailand wins hands down.

Social peace is preserved when the gap between the haves and have nots is not overwhelming. Yes, it is more expensive in Australia. However, that is the cost one pays to not be plagued by beggers crawling in the streets, children sold for sex or used in closed dank stinky windowless buildings deveining shrimp. Its the price one pays to have a police officer that won't demand a bribe, where a poor person can get chemotherapy if its needed and where a simple thing like opening a tap and drinking the water is available for most communities.

Yes, a foreigner with some money can live comfortably in Thailand. However, being oblivious to social disparity and the suffering of others is a requisite. Just remember that farangsliving in Asian countries have a history of losing their priveliged status overnight. Only a fool in denial would challenge this fact. Ask those people that lost their position in former colonies or foreign lands.

I'd be willing to wager that there will not be mobs tossing grenades, or generals threatening a PM or a military coup anytime soon in Australia. There's a cost to pay for that, so if one's approach to life follows the RyanAir business model, then yes I can see why one would be unhappy with an Australian system.

If you do not care about the local conditions for economic equity, fair opportunity, access to an education & healthcare then Thailand wins hands down.

Social peace is preserved when the gap between the haves and have nots is not overwhelming. Yes, it is more expensive in Australia. However, that is the cost one pays to not be plagued by beggers crawling in the streets, children sold for sex or used in closed dank stinky windowless buildings deveining shrimp. Its the price one pays to have a police officer that won't demand a bribe, where a poor person can get chemotherapy if its needed and where a simple thing like opening a tap and drinking the water is available for most communities.

Yes, a foreigner with some money can live comfortably in Thailand. However, being oblivious to social disparity and the suffering of others is a requisite. Just remember that farangsliving in Asian countries have a history of losing their priveliged status overnight. Only a fool in denial would challenge this fact. Ask those people that lost their position in former colonies or foreign lands.

I'd be willing to wager that there will not be mobs tossing grenades, or generals threatening a PM or a military coup anytime soon in Australia. There's a cost to pay for that, so if one's approach to life follows the RyanAir business model, then yes I can see why one would be unhappy with an Australian system.

Just on the corruption in the police force.

maybe australia is that way now... but have a think back to the troubles in the 90s it was shockingly corrupt. and in a much more deviant and dark way than the usual "tea money" from the thai police. (at least that was the case in melbourne)

Edited by johnnyj

Australian income per person 37,000 US$, Thailand 7,000 US$. Of course the government, police etc will be more effective in Australia, the goverments budget is much much bigger to spend on management systems, training etc..

Whats is amazing is that even with a much lower income Bangkok already has some better infrastructure, movie theaters, sky trains, subway, malls etc. than most Australian or UK towns.

One thing i have noticed..those who are sometimes most anti-Thailand tend to come from these smaller towns back in the west- they come to thailand for the first time expecting a 3rd world country and its abit of a blow for them to realize that their own home towns are less developed in some ways. Compound that with all those cute thai middle class girls in the BTS, Paragon etc who dont give these guys a second look and even the hookers are getting pickier and rejecting some white- normally older- guys advances (i have seen this many a time the hookers in Q bar, bed supper type places). Frankly, if i was one of these guys, id be pretty bitter about Thailand too

(i may yet turn into one , who knows:)

Whats is amazing is that even with a much lower income Bangkok already has some better infrastructure, movie theaters, sky trains, subway, malls etc. than most Australian or UK towns.

Mostly foreign investment and available to the middle class minority.

Don't blame the middle class minority that they didn't build a subway from nong kai to Udon mate. Blame the foreign investors. :)

There is more foreign investment in Australia than in Thailand...

I don't dispute that, what's your point?

The point is we don't understand your point unless you are just trying to sneak some Sadika or whatever you were talking about in the other thread on this one?

The point is we don't understand your point unless you are just trying to sneak some Sadika or whatever you were talking about in the other thread on this one?

Sorry, let me try to clarify.

"Whats is amazing is that even with a much lower income Bangkok already has some better infrastructure"

It's not really amazing, Bangkok has a population roughly equal to the entire population of Australia, and Bangkok has a raising middle class, therefore it is an attractive place for foreign investment.

"Whats is amazing is that even with a much lower income Bangkok already has some better infrastructure"

It's not really amazing, Bangkok has a population roughly equal to the entire population of Australia, and Bangkok has a raising middle class, therefore it is an attractive place for foreign investment.

and this frustrates you :) just trying to say on topic mate.

Staying in Bangkok certainly frustrates me, too many people living in a polluted, hot, concrete jungle.

Staying in Bangkok certainly frustrates me, too many people living in a polluted, hot, concrete jungle.

I agree and think everyone should leave, except for you and me... we can call it Bangkok - Life After People.

When I go back I'm gonna drink some good cheap wine, a range of different beers, quality international food, catch up with some good live sport, but yes, I will be thankful when I get back to Thailand.

Hey kurnell..better make sure you buy that return ticket back to LOS before you start on that lot...

Standard carton of beer, nothing fancy..now up around the 1300 baht mark

And dont even ask about prices in pubs and clubs,

I shouted a girl one of those small bacardi breezer bottles the other night..$7.90 = 230 baht :D

basic meal in a restaurant: 650 baht and still pretty ordinary

:)

you better get back here then before you go broke :D

A Thailand trade Expo in Australia about 2 years ago made the statement that Thailand has more people on incomes equal to or above the Australian average than in Australia, this is direct dollar for baht comparison.

Got your point now about foreign investment, thx for clarifying.

In terms of Thai's wanting to move to Australia..what has surprised me is the number of thai people i have met who actually would much rather live in thailand than move to the West and stay with their spouses/bfs/gfs or for work there

Edited by ExpatJ

ok have come in late on this thai-aus debate.The way i see it australia is four times as expensive as living in thailand but if you are working in australia and not retired then your salary makes up for the added cost.For me the big cost factor in australia was always the cost of property,buying or renting.Coming here to live in thailand with money in australia paying reasonable interest made living in thailand very cheap,and long may it continue.Samui is expensive compare to pattaya but cheaper than phuket,personally could n't stand to live in BKK because i do not like big cities.The other thing that drove me crazy living in australia was the overregulation,peoples constant gripe about money or lack of it,in fact i came to think australia had become a boring place to live.

Just driving 1 Kmh over will not cause you to lose you licence unless you already have other offences. Sorry but I have seen few fatal accidents right outside my house caused by speeding, maybe this does not bother some people but I am not too happy about seeing someone die in front of me and can't do anything to help them.

Actually, it DOES cause you to lose your licence. As he stated, he was in Thailand and didn't know the fine had been issued. They suspend your licence eventually, if you do not pay the fine.

Tell me about it..

I got one ticket for speeding last time I was in the States and it was for $500. Gotta love New York.

Although it sure was nice to drive a Cadilac again. The cars here are crap, and over priced, that's just one of only a hand full of complaints I have about living in Thailand.