How Much To Paint A Bedroom?

Grawburg

Moving to BKK in March into apt with all white walls. 12th floor apt.

If i want the rooms painted, how do I go about getting quotes/contractors? Not sure if it's done like here in the US where I get a few names and they give me a price. Can anyone tell me the process and about what would it cost per bedroom to paint - rough number - with the painter providing all paint, cloths, etc....

Thanks!

I think you're in for a surprise here. Getting numbers for anyone to give a price will be tricky. Try asking the building management or the owner of the apartment. They most likely have someone that can do the job. Forget finding a "real" professional and also when making the agreement be very specific about what they will be painting and not painting and what they are required to do as to moving any furniture and covering up anything you don't want painted. Thai workers do not take care of anything or clean anything or cover anything or protect anything. So be very specific in what they agreed to do.

A good quality paint will cost about the same here as in you're country. Recommend going to the local paint shop and getting the brand and colors you want first. Typical bedroom should need about 1.5 to 2 gallons depends on the size and what you are painting over.

I'm sure others will chime in here and be more accurate on these numbers

I think you're in for a surprise here. Getting numbers for anyone to give a price will be tricky. Try asking the building management or the owner of the apartment. They most likely have someone that can do the job. Forget finding a "real" professional and also when making the agreement be very specific about what they will be painting and not painting and what they are required to do as to moving any furniture and covering up anything you don't want painted. Thai workers do not take care of anything or clean anything or cover anything or protect anything. So be very specific in what they agreed to do.

A good quality paint will cost about the same here as in you're country. Recommend going to the local paint shop and getting the brand and colors you want first. Typical bedroom should need about 1.5 to 2 gallons depends on the size and what you are painting over.

I'm sure others will chime in here and be more accurate on these numbers

I agree, Thai painters just paint! usually very little preparation is done ie. sanding and filling etc. You may even be asked for some money in advance to buy the paint!!

Moved to DIY forum, should be able to get more prices and pitfalls to avoid.

Friend of mine forgot to take out his clothes from the closet when he had the bedroom painted, the painter just painted around them though so no problem.

Undercoat..............Thais dont know what this is but Dulux sell it there. Sanding down is critical unless you want it to peel off in sheets on doors skirtings etc. Walls will need 2 coats of anything not one it may look "okay" initially but over time will look patchy. Buy your own paint dont let them thin it out by more than 10%. Make sure all surfaces are clean as you can get them.

Flexible filler for cracks around doors etc buy it in tubes.

I do it myself but then doing it for 24 years as a job its a piece of cake :) 99% of Thais wont do any of this

Whatever you do make sure that you always keep an eye on what they are doing.

Mate of mine made the mistake of just telling Somchai to go around the front of the house and paint the porch with some magnolia emulsion.

After 30 minutes Somchai appeared saying he'd finished but it wasn't a Porch, it was a Ferrari.