Why are you here

bangkokblue

Guest IT Manager
<font color='#000000'>Beer Chiang is no reason to move to Thailand much less live here. You can get it in the states if you really want it there, costs a little more but none the less....

Does anyone have a real reason of why they're living here besides cheap beer?</font>

I just got invited to the blessing of a new house. They had Chang because they know I like it. Only about 4 men in the village drink it.

Chang aside, I live here because of the people. If you don't have any understanding of that, you are a sex-tourist.

You can get VB in Phuket at Patong in the Aussie bar and a few others on Bangla road, also was sold at 711 top of bangla road. I met the rep for VB in SE Asia there a couple of years ago and he used to distribute it in Bangkok somewhere.

ps it cost an arm and a leg

Its the lifestyle that gets me, fantastic. biggest problem is I have to go overseas to work so I only spend 2 weeks from every 2 months at home. My wife doesn't mind though, as long as the pay check comes each month. I learn something new each day I am there.

What brought me here, a chance to have a life instead of job in the states. ###### I was already retired and still working 60 hour weeks, just to drive the shinney new car and have an apartment in L.A O Ya, then there was the two teenage daughters that I had to buy things, that they didn't really care about.

I stayed on my third trip, I returned left a little cutie and played lets send her money game. Worked 12 hour days, six days a week for fourteen months. When I returned the little cutie was history. I took a long look at the financial situation and found after fourteen months I really had no more then I did the first time I came. You see I really had to buy those things for daughters, that they didn't really need or want, just liked watching me give them money and thier mother really likes it as well.

So took a good look at my budget and guess what I could still pay the child support and bring in 65K Baht a month, to keep the Thia government happy and I really didn't need that much, especially after finding a little sweetie that fit my bill.

So I thought I would do something different in life and take care of myself, for a change. Now I have great friends to hang out with. Years ago my hobby in the states was motorcycle riding. I let that go for the family and I didn't have time to ride them anyway I was always working, getting them things that never used anyway, but still they had to have them to say that had them. Now the funny thing was that when the ex split all three of them told me I was the bad guy, to which I responded you wanted the things, so someone had to get the money for the things. I guess I was the realist in the group they didn't seem to impressed and as I pointed out the divorce didn't change the situation at all, they still wanted the things and like a fool I just kept giving. To three people who truly could care less about me. Funny thing when I stopped giving blindly they just seemed to have vanished. Won't even drop me an e-mail, but it's Ok with me I have a life now.

You see now I have two Phantoms a 150 and a 200 both are set up for touring and I have great group of fallngs that enjoy touring Thailand as much as I do. Now I have time to take care of myself, I drink but not very often to many things to see and experience to hang out in bars, but that is my Thailand everyones is different. When not a on a trip a one hour jog in the moring followed by an hour in the Gym with weight training five days a week. The jogging is free, the Gym at a local college cost 650 Baht a year. I have UBC and time to actually watch the movies. Today it was a three hour lunch, nope nothing fantastic, a chilli dog from Dairy Queen. My buddies wife and my sweetie hit the shopping while we sit drinking coffee in the mall and enjoying all the little beauty's walking around. Now when you 56 and a 20 year old fox is eyeing you for whatever reason, it feels pretty ###### good. I'm not ingnorant so I thought perhaps having a visa card painted on my helmet, may increase the stares, or perhaps a visa tattoo on the forehead, would be more effective, but who cares it's fun for whatever reason.

Then of course there was that hour massage, to help those old man aching muscles, cost nothing additional, the little sweetie takes care of that along with the house and the laundry, offered her a housekeeper and actually had one before we got together, she thought that was to much money so we let her go. Tonight it was a good steak and baked poatato with corn on the cob, sweetie is a good cook, hence all the exercise. Now sweetie wants things to, she gets fifty bucks a week and buys her own things, and guess what she says thank you. Oh almost forgot she bought lunch today. Little sweetie has one ###### of a Christmas present coming and she deserves anything and everything that I can give her. Why? Becuase she cares and is grateful for everything I do for her, not like that loving family I had in the states.

Oh Ya, I have the time to set here and say why I'm grateful for the life I have.

So why did I come and more imprtantly why do I stay. It's Burger King I can have it my way.

Good for you Ray, yea the touring is good, i used to tour, i had a 750cc Honda Magna 12 years ago, i went many places on that, even from Pattaya to Penang in Malaysia round trip stopping off in Phuket for a few days on the way back. Then i had an 1100 Honda shadow, went as far as Chiang mai ,Chiang Rai and back to Pattaya on that one, been all over Isaan on Bikes too, yep touring was good....

I would really like a 750, the Phantoms I have are a 150 CC and a 200 CC. The 150 is truly an amazing bike made here in Thailand as I understand, durable as can be can cruise at 140 two people up, a two cycle engine and really takes a beating. The 200 is a four cycle and your looking at cruising at 100 to 110, but it is lot more comfortable, less vibration.

The rides are fun for a lot of reasons mainly the people you meet, when you get away from the city. A fw weeks ago we threw the camping gear on the 200, tent sleeping bags and air mattresses, for two along with a back pack I modified for traveling and shopping. I live in Udon and headed up to a water fall above Nau Bua lamphu. A national park. My first experience at this no fees whatsoever, California that would be Twenty bucks plus a entrance fee. The place had bathrooms and showers. We went on a holiday by accident anf there were a lot of government employees there for two different parties. The parties shut down early, but the Thais didn't so not much sleep. I really didn't mind that mush the stars were beautiful and it was cool enough at night that you did need the sleeping bags.

One group of Thais kept it going until about 4:30 in the morning at 6:00 I woke up with ait if revenge in mind. The exhaust system on the 200 has been modified looking for a bit moer performance, the darn thing sounds like a Harley. So I thought I will puch in the middle of thier tents and give them a custom alarm clock. They surprised me and were up early. I'm gald my deviuos plan was foiled. They wre colloge Professors from Khan Kean and really nice guys. YThey practised thier englsih on us.

Khan Kean is a great little ride with a Big Mac reward at the end, Not really that crazy about Big Macs but a good excuse for a short day ride. Found a Mexican resturant in Nong Khai, more caribean then Mexcian the owner iss from Cube, Jose's Cantina great change of diet and a nothe god excuse to go ride along the Mekong.

I try to get down to Si Chaing Mia at least once a month. On my second trip I was dating a girl from that area and spent a year there ( at least it felt like it) really only five days. I don't read Thai and in those days, couldn't speak any Thai at all. The girl spoke very little english. I couldn't eat Thai food at that point and didn't know how to say Mia Pit. I thought I was going to starve before it was over. I finally found a place through enough hand signals would fry me some eggs and rice along witha cup of coffee. It was funny they woudl see me waling down the street and just start cooking the eggs. The lady owenr felt sorry for me and started going to the market to find rolls for me. I survived thanks to thier kindness. So I try take them some business now that I live here.

On one trip a friend wanted a omelette he knew how to say eggs but not omellete, he was hungry and getting frustrated, so I headed into the kitchen and between me and the lady we out together something he liked.

On one trip ten of us went, it was a Sunday and Moma had taken the day off, usually a slow day and she was visiting some family. Now this really is a Mom and Pop operation and only Pop was left who was totaly overwhelemed. The girls went into his kitchen took over and out together a heck of a meal. I don't know who was having more fun the girls with the community cooking or Pop who was surronded by beautiful ladies, tough day at work LOL.

Anytime a group of us get together and we stop for gas people are checking out the bikes, we always get where you from? where you go? If any of us are riding solo, we always get girls who want to go for the ride and if they are bashful thier friends try to get them to go. It really is fun. One one occassion I was alone but was in route to pickup a lady. One girl was kidding around on got on the bike with I droppe in gear and took off maybe 300 feet before I turned around and broguht her back. I would have loved to ahve a camera to record the expression in her face. Everybody in the service station was laughing ther heads off.

On the 22nd we are heading up to Khan Kean for a Honda safety ralley, It is supposed to be camping at a dam up there, they supply the tents and will have food. Also a rock band for entertainment. The give you tee shirts and jackets, and believe it or not fuel you bike as well. Cost 200 Baht per person.

On one trip we pulled into a Honda Shop in NKP to get the air checked in the tires and adjust and oil the chains, now this was three Phantoms. They stopped what they were working on and immediately took care of us. Then they would not escpet one baht for the work. Try to get that in the states, we tipped the mechanics 20 baht each but we darn near had to fight the owner to do it. The people here are truly amazing if you just give them a chance.

I have never had a Thia refuse to help me when I'm out and about and they are never looking for money. I do get laughed at from time to time when asking directions but always with a smile and good natured. This usually happens when they point straight down the road in the direction I'm already going.

We plan a ride to Chaing Ria, soon, my sweeties parents are both deceased and she has a brother and uncle who live in a small village there. She owns a house there that they left her. Not much chance of moving in though. She has decided she likes aircon, hot showers and T.V. What a great lady I don't care if it is pouring rain out comes the rain gear and we are off. She is ready to go at a drop of a hat, what great riding partner.

You know there is a lot more to Thailand then Walking Street in Pataya, not that that is a bad thing. to me something like Vegas a nice shot of adrenalien ( wonder how you spell that ) but not good for a steady diet.

If you get away from the big cities, that is when you find out what wonderful people do live here, just takes a bit of effort. I guess some day I will buy a car, but I really don't need one.

You know as it turns out I could have stayed the first trip I came here, but I really didn't understand it at the time. I knew I was in trouble because usually after a three week vacation i can't wait to get home, man I didn't want to get in that plane, I had to force myself. The second trip was 2 & 1/2 months same thing happened. I tell my frinds to be carful about coming here, because it is addicting

as drugs.

Let see why I'm here:

1.Girls(free for young,cheap for old)

2.Great wheather

3.Great nature

4.Everything is ###### cheap(and tasty)

Conclusion: You can afford very comfortable life style.I call it's LIFE and not EXISTENCE like it happens in most of the western countries.