Three Foreigners Arrested For Alleged Credit Card Fraud

webfact

Three Turkish men detained for alleged credit card fraud

BANGKOK: -- (TNA) – Thai police arrested three Turkish nationals for alleged credit card forgery at a Bangkok department store Thursday.

The trio are identified as Ziyaismet Gebologcu, 54, Ozulmez Bekir, 37, and Falay Togan Ahmet, aged 34, according to Crime Suppression Division police officers.

The three foreigners were apprehended at a Seacon Square department store on Srinakarin Road while using a counterfeit electronic card to pay for their purchases.

Police also seized seven other forged electronic cards, Spanish fake passports.

After three-month trace on the scam, the authorities found that the three Turkish suspects were a passport and credit card forgery gang, using Thailand as a base to commit a crime.

An initial investigation found that stolen data stored in the fake electronic cards which look like debit cards or cash cards belongs to victims living in Europe. The trio stole the data and uploaded it into the blank cards and used them to buy expensive goods such as jewellery, gold ornament and computers.

Their spending using the forged electronic cards during their two-week stay in Thailand accumulated some Bt20 million (over US$600,000) in damages.

Initially, the three men were charged jointly with forging and possessing credit cards and passports.(TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-02-11

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

should have been caught in the first week not two ! at least they got caught though :)

Knew a guy in Bangkok, a few years ago, who got involved in something like this; fake cards and fake passport with his face on it and name to match the card. He got cash from the exchange places around town, kept 10% and gave the rest to the supplier.

He was doing it for some Pakistani guy who gave him 5 different cards and passports to match. He got caught when he got greedy took them back home to the UK. He’s now got free room and board with her majesty.

He managed to get about 2 million baht in 2 months. 200,000 for himself.

There were lots of foreigners working for the Paki guy so he must have become rich very quickly.

I'm expecting, these guys will get the same deal as the jet crew that was smuggling North Korean missiles and other arms bound for the Middle East until they had to land in BKK... Being sent home without any indictment here...because their home countries asked for their return.

Sounds just about right for the Turkish guys scamming credit cards... No harm to Thailand, no foul... Just pack them back to their home country, and all is well... :)

If you think that someone is breaking a rule, feel free to use the report button. In the previous posts, the poster wasn't being very complimentary and he is at least dangerously close to breaking rules, but I personally think it can remain. Other mods might not feel the same way.

Tailors are business people. Some are more forward than others, but that's business.

Now back on topic.

Hope they get sent away for long time...20M baht is just pure greed.

I say fry them. Just imagine the grief that this trio has caused everywhere they walk.

Comon! They're not shooting people no questions aked then taking their money and gold. It's a crime but it's not that bad so why fry them? Too many extremist expat racists on this forum like the guy above who referes to Pakistanis as "Pakis!" Sorry to let you all know but we're the "Pakis" here so watch your mouth.

Edited by Jirapa

to all you people on this forum be it 1 baht or 20 million this is not on if it were your credit card or bank account I bet you would be crying or is forgery,theft,or deception ok in your country I am pissed off with some of the stuff that comes up on thaivisa, we or most are all Falang living here in THAILAND by the grace of the King,the Government and the Immigration officialls,I fought in the Vietnam war with these people, I dont agree with some of the underhands that go on in this country but let me tell you it happens in my country to, if you get caught your cun is toast as for the politics when in rome do as the romans do if you arent happy then pack your bags and go bi nun home to your country and see how you fair, I live here on a retirement visa, have to show credabillitty as to how I live not like the comers and goers non o or 30 day border runs. I love the THAI people Dearly and I am happy to live here come what may

kindest Regards Ronnie lcpl vietnam war

Comon! They're not shooting people no questions aked then taking their money and gold. It's a crime but it's not that bad so why fry them? Too many extremist expat racists on this forum like the guy above who referes to Pakistanis as "Pakis!" Sorry to let you all know but we're the "Pakis" here so watch your mouth.

Because the money stolen can be some pensioner's savings or it can be a family's savings. It can b a charity's operating fund. There have been quite a few cases where some ill person had no money left to pay for medication. Your position is why the crime flourishes. Judges say the same thing so these people get to keep on stealing from others over and over again. Too bad Thailand does not take into consideration cultural sensitivities and in deference and respect to the Turkish customs let a village mob stone them.

No argument from me on your caution about the bigotry. Ypu're right.

Edited by geriatrickid

I'm expecting, these guys will get the same deal as the jet crew that was smuggling North Korean missiles and other arms bound for the Middle East until they had to land in BKK... Being sent home without any indictment here...because their home countries asked for their return.

Sounds just about right for the Turkish guys scamming credit cards... No harm to Thailand, no foul... Just pack them back to their home country, and all is well... :)

They'll be lucky if that happens,a bloke from the UK doing this in Phuket got 18years

I say fry them. Just imagine the grief that this trio has caused everywhere they walk.

What for credit card fraud,give your head a shake.

A few years back, I got scammed the same way. They used a copy of my CC in London while I was in Thailand. The bank never paid me back. I lost the equivalent of 200.000 Baht. I wrote registered letters, went to the police as I could prove easily with my passport that I was in Thailand and Laos. Nothing helped.

To jail all of them and as long as possible.

A few years back, I got scammed the same way. They used a copy of my CC in London while I was in Thailand. The bank never paid me back. I lost the equivalent of 200.000 Baht. I wrote registered letters, went to the police as I could prove easily with my passport that I was in Thailand and Laos. Nothing helped.

That sure sounds like bad luck on your part, or an outright rotten credit card company...

My credit card must have gotten "scanned" while shopping in one of three fairly large homeworks-type stores in Pattaya. Two weeks later I got a call from my credit card company in Switzerland, asking if I'd recently done some major shopping & dining in Italy. No, I said, haven't been near that place for years. A "red flag" had popped up in their system, because shopping/dining big time in Italy didn't go together with my "profile". I had to sign a form saying that I hadn't been near any shop in Italy, and that this was the truth and nothing but, and got all the illegal shopping removed from my CC bill. For reference, that was Mastercard.

20 mill ... just pure stupidity and greed

Guess they couldn't settle for 19 mill

All to often these clowns get caught because

they start to think they are untouchable.

Bet they will be touched a lot where they are going

Is there some kind of criminal code of conduct they broke by going to 20 million? Where should they have stopped? When is it sensible and when does it become greedy? For all we know they were about to split on the day they were caught.

Edited by tropo

I too live her on a retirement visa and feel very lucky to do so.

I would say this.....

thailand be careful of who you allow in to your beautiful country, please check as carefully as you can, many countries are happy to export some of their own and gladly lose them someplace else.

Please try to not allow some of the dross that ends up here.

How you do it is down to you , but it needs to be done.

Bop pen yang.

bbhh

visa always refunds if its fraud. i had 6k refunded 2 years back by someone who used my card details in thailand to buy goods in paris. Who is your card with?

Because the money stolen can be some pensioner's savings or it can be a family's savings. It can b a charity's operating fund. There have been quite a few cases where some ill person had no money left to pay for medication. Your position is why the crime flourishes. Judges say the same thing so these people get to keep on stealing from others over and over again. Too bad Thailand does not take into consideration cultural sensitivities and in deference and respect to the Turkish customs let a village mob stone them.

No argument from me on your caution about the bigotry. Ypu're right.

The money stolen is the credit card company's. I will not pay for any slip that doesn't carry my signature or IP address. I rejected bill items in the past with different credit card companies, and never had to pay. In some cases, they gave me new credit card numbers and apologised for the inconvenience.

So, it's not some pensioneer that has lost some money, it's big corporations. And these guys have power, that's why the culprits were caught. But hey, they want you to be carefull, that's why they don't say it so clearly in the contract.

That sure sounds like bad luck on your part, or an outright rotten credit card company...

My credit card must have gotten "scanned" while shopping in one of three fairly large homeworks-type stores in Pattaya. Two weeks later I got a call from my credit card company in Switzerland, asking if I'd recently done some major shopping & dining in Italy. No, I said, haven't been near that place for years. A "red flag" had popped up in their system, because shopping/dining big time in Italy didn't go together with my "profile". I had to sign a form saying that I hadn't been near any shop in Italy, and that this was the truth and nothing but, and got all the illegal shopping removed from my CC bill. For reference, that was Mastercard.

Yes, I have also received calls from my credit card company. Incidentally when I was in Italy or France on rare business trips (I usually travel within Asia), and they called me on my mobile. In both cases I could confirm that I had actually spent the money and signed the slip, so all was OK. But I did appreciate them being on top of things and having this "profile" thing which alerts them.

@ AsiaCheese & Zorro1

You both were very lucky or indeed a good manager at the bank. I have an ING Gold Eurocard (Mastercard).

I was in Thailand for 3 months and the bank, as well the CCco told me I had 1 month only to complain. They take the money from my bank account automatically. It is indeed at the back of the statements in very very small letters.

I did everything I could do by letters, calls and visits at the bank. A lawyer would cost me may be even more.

I am thinking of bringing the story to the press, may be that will help. It is a lot of money.