Visa Runs

ThaiPauly

My Son is over on a 2 month holiday at the moment. He will obviously need to renew the stamp in his passport after 30 days.

Are there any companies in CM that provide transport to the border and back?

Many Thanks

TP

I didn't know there was an international crossing in MHS.

Anyway try JR Travel, Khampeang Din Road.

I use them for loas visa and found the service very good.

The owner is French but speaks good english.

• 8 months later...

can you advise us on renewing our 30 day visas. we are spending about 33 days in thailand and therefore need to renew our visas somehow. are there any safe, comfortable tours from chiang mai which would take us over the thai border so we could get a new 30 day visa. ideally this would be a day trip. it needs to fairly comfortable since my wife and I are well into our 60s

can you advise us on renewing our 30 day visas. we are spending about 33 days in thailand and therefore need to renew our visas somehow. are there any safe, comfortable tours from chiang mai which would take us over the thai border so we could get a new 30 day visa. ideally this would be a day trip. it needs to fairly comfortable since my wife and I are well into our 60s

In case you'd prefer not taking the trip at all, you can simply go to the immigration office in Chiang Mai and get a 7 days extension of your entry stamp. No requirements except 1900 baht for the fee. Otherwise Mae Sai is quite safe and well within a daytrip - even with public transportation.

rishi - thanks for this info. would you only get this extension to your 30 day visa at the end of your initial 30 days or at anytime during your 30 days?

is there an official web site that provides detailed info on visa extensions in country?

You MUST renew before the thirty days are up.

If for any unlikely reason you were asked to produce you passport and your visa was out of date by just one day-you can expect to spend some time in the imigration jail, and from what I have been told you dont want to be there.

You can get you extension ay time during your 30 day stay, you just cross the border and get another 30 days that see you through till the end of your hoilday

On the subject of Mae Sai visa runs, I have heard--probably elsewhere in this forum--that there have been problems by some people attempting to get re-entry stamps at this border crossing. I seem to recall that some people who already had many 30 day stamps were refused there. Does anyone have information?

Hi,

What you could do is book a daytrip to the Golden Triangle which includes also visit to the Mae Sai border where the English speaking tourguide can assist you. Trip is around THB 1000 and includes lunch and pick up from your hotel/home.

Hans

www.cafecrossroadstravel.com

Thank you for that info Hans, many will appreciate it :o

rishi - thanks for this info. would you only get this extension to your 30 day visa at the end of your initial 30 days or at anytime during your 30 days?

is there an official web site that provides detailed info on visa extensions in country?

The official website you'll find at: www.immigration.go.th

This site doesn't seem to mention 'visa on arrival' as I assume is what you have? However, here's a thread, where a bunch of guys discuss this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...visa+on+arrival

It seems to be the general concensus among the guys - who usually are quite insightsfull with respect to visas - that 10 days extension is the standard... so I voluntary correct myself... you can easily get 10 days extension at the CM imm-office rather than the 7 days I mentioned.

You don't have to wait until the last day to go there, but the 10 days will count from the day you apply - so not much sense in going there until the last week of your current 'allowed to stay' period.

Is that right about the detention centre? Whenever my visa has expired less than a week before I'm due to depart the country, I've just paid 200 baht p/day overstay with barely a raised eyebrow from the suits.

The detention centre might enter into the picture in case you for some reason should happen to get arrested before you reach the 'exit gate' - and are very likely if you don't have the cash to pay the fine and a ticket out of the country.

On the subject of Mae Sai visa runs, I have heard--probably elsewhere in this forum--that there have been problems by some people attempting to get re-entry stamps at this border crossing. I seem to recall that some people who already had many 30 day stamps were refused there. Does anyone have information?

Likely for other reasons, would be my guess. The only person I've heard of refused an entry stamp was also wanted by the government...

It's not simply refusing the stamp, either, cuz even if you have a day pass to Burma, where are going to go after 5 pm? :o

Edited by Ajarn

T.P.

Journey Tour, Tha Pae Road.

Just down from the Tha Pae Gate on the right hand side.

or

Arcade Buss Station.

X431 leaves 09:30 Air Con

Fare 171Baht

Best book the day before.

VIP buss leaves 0800 or 0830

Fare 250 Baht

g

The simple situation is as follows:

If you go to the airport and declare your overstay you will have ti pay 200 bahtfor every day you overstayed. No questions asked, no blacklist, nothing.

If for some reason you were asked to produce your passport (say your rental was involved in an accident), or you got into some kind of altercation with a Thai over payment or something THEN you would be in BIG trouble.

So IF you are starying on a bit longer than you intended ALWAYS get an extension to your Visa.

TP

Edited by ThaiPauly