Using A 230 Volt/ 50 Htz Breast Pump In The Usa

TheJoker12

Its only 230 voltage not 110-230 voltage. I have found some converters online:

1. http://www.amazon.com/One-Voltage-Converte...ef=pd_sbs_hpc_3

2. http://www.amazon.com/ConairPro-CP952-Volt...109&sr=8-19

but they often say things like:

"Converters should not be used with power tools and electronic circuitry products, i.e. computers, fax machines, typewriters, TVs, VCRs, etc. exceeding 25 watts."

And i am not sure where a breast pump falls into that. Thanks.

No problem use it. It may still burn out but it is not going to electricute your breast. The cup is plastic not metal. If you are worried about the machine the items you need to be most concerned about are any types of low voltage circuit boards. Everything electronic has these now.

If this is an expensive machine and you are only visiting the US then go out and purchase a hand pump. The pumps from the hospitals are very expensive and if that is the type you have do not use it on a convertor but I don't think you purchased one of those.

If you are staying in the US for good during lactation period then use the pump on the convertor and if it burns up oh well. Atleast you got some use out of it.

YOu may find that with a convertor at 60Hz maybe give you longer cycles and not work as well or just take a bit longer to empty the breast.

Go for it though

The current is not a problem at all. There are cheap step up converters up to 1500 watts which will work just fine.

Without examining the pump in detail however, I would be concerned there may be an AC induction motor inside. If that is the case, then the 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz issues could become a problem. The motor may overheat and burn out as it will be turning faster than it was designed for. The suction would in theory be greater as well in this case. If the controller board converts to DC first and then uses a DC motor this wouldn't be an issue.

You aren't going to electrocute anyone, but there is a chance you could destroy the pump depending on how it has been designed. You can either open it up and check the internals to decide if this will be a problem, or buy a new one rated at 60 Hz if you don't want the headache.

Or you can simply risk it and accept the possibility of burning out the motor.

Edited by gregb