Tesco Lotus Construction

baht&sold

In Hua Hin at the moment and wondering what your 'local' views on the impact of the new Tesco lotus currently under construction will be? Plus a big bowling alley and long awaited movie theatre. Site is well located, just past the marriot, right hand side of Petchakasem, looks like a BIG site. As a former resident, I feel for the mom n pop vendors and hope the impact will be minimal. As a frequent visitor tho, I'm selfishly looking forward to the convenience. Also wonder what impact this will have on already absolutely booming Hua Hin area property market?

the impact of the opening of the first big tesco or bigc etc in a town is never minimal.

but for consumers they are great , very competitive pricing and if something is broken , breaks down , or is past its sell by date..... then you get your money back or a replacement.

try that at any other store in thailand and listen to the staff laugh at you.

you can do most of your shopping in one go and park easily too.

if town planners had used a bit of forethought , brainpower and common sense in the past by making parking easier in town centres and shopkeepers had paid some attention to customer service , cleanliness and fair pricing then there would be no need for tescos.

thais love these places and usually cite the same reasons for liking them.

but ultimately these huge companies do more damage to communities than good , and their spread and store size should i believe be controlled.

if town planners had used a bit of forethought , brainpower and common sense in the past by making parking easier in town centres and shopkeepers had paid some attention to customer service , cleanliness and fair pricing then there would be no need for tescos.

You touched on my only complaint of HH: Just try to park, anywhere...good luck. Soi's are often chokablok with seemingly permanently parked cars/ala 'taxi' for hire... Having said that, Hua Hin is still easily one of the best places to live or visit in Thailand imho.

Talked to alot of folks in HH and noone seems to know for certain, if it's a Tesco, Carrefour, Home pro, etc, etc. Even Hannes across from the site isn't certain. Buksida or(??), what's the skinny? :o

Edited by bahtandsold

You touched on my only complaint of HH: Just try to park, anywhere...good luck. Soi's are often chokablok with seemingly permanently parked cars/ala 'taxi' for hire... Having said that, Hua Hin is still easily one of the best places to live or visit in Thailand imho.

Talked to alot of folks in HH and noone seems to know for certain, if it's a Tesco, Carrefour, Home pro, etc, etc. Even Hannes across from the site isn't certain. Buksida or(??), what's the skinny?  :o

I think its gonna be a Carefore, but don't quote me on that! Will have to have a wander down the site and have a look see.

Agree with you on the parking, weekends are worse .... now every everyone pissed off back to Bangkok ..... :D

Had a look around the site a couple of days ago, theres like 200 construction ninjas going full bore there. The underground section is done, flooring is in and the second floor is going up. Apparently it will be all of the above; tesco, carefore, bowling alley, cinema etc etc. Doesnt look like they've made any allocation for parking which will make for some great road entertainment when its open (due later this year) :o

• 5 weeks later...

I sat in the noodle shop opposite the site a few days ago. The artists impression board shows a Teso Lotus (didn't see Carrefour but then my long range specs were in the car). Can't believe that the two competitors would be located on the same site but who knows. As to car parking there may only be the ground level (under the buildings) for the supermarkets as is their usual design. There may be a hundred or so spaces out in the open.

I've looked at the billboard for this development at least 10-15 times and see NO indoor parking facilities. It appears, from the big colourful illustration, that all of the parking spaces are outside the shopping center.

That's fine, I suppose, but then you realize that there simply isn't any room outside. The illustration shows cars parked diagonally in one row outside. It appears that there are parking space all around the mall, but they don't seem to add up to more than about 100.

This must be an oversight on my part because I know that the forward-thinking people heading this development would never plan such a thing!

Edited by thohts

Apparently it will be all of the above; tesco, carefore, bowling alley, cinema etc etc. Doesnt look like they've made any allocation for parking which will make for some great road entertainment when its open (due later this year)

They are very behind aren't they?

I remember hearing it was due to open last year.

I could have done with all that lot when I was there with Ning. :o

I've looked at the billboard for this development at least 10-15 times and see NO indoor parking facilities. It appears, from the big colourful illustration, that all of the parking spaces are outside the shopping center.

That's fine, I suppose, but then you realize that there simply isn't any room outside. The illustration shows cars parked diagonally in one row outside. It appears that there are parking space all around the mall, but they don't seem to add up to more than about 100.

This must be an oversight on my part because I know that the forward-thinking people heading this development would never plan such a thing!

You must have seen the road chaos just when the school kicks out, imagine what this will do to Petchkasem road if no parking allocation has been made :o

Soi 88/1 will be the car park :D

One of the things that gets me is that there's a big concrete road divider as you come out of the development.

So, currently no option for vehicles to turn right, coming out or in.

Traffic light there might be an answer. Anyone know if this will happen?

It's good to know that there'll be an underground parking facility.

They would do well to install additional traffic lights there but also south of there along Petchkasem Rd. It can get quite dangerous, especially since cars and trucks tend to speed coming down the road (in both directions).

• 3 weeks later...

Talked to alot of folks in HH and noone seems to know for certain, if it's a Tesco, Carrefour, Home pro, etc, etc. Even Hannes across from the site isn't certain. Buksida or(??), what's the skinny?  :o

I think its gonna be a Carefore, but don't quote me on that! Will have to have a wander down the site and have a look see.

Agree with you on the parking, weekends are worse .... now every everyone pissed off back to Bangkok ..... :D

:D Its a Tesco Lotus, clearly states this on the front Billboard, the"C" which is also on the advertising is associated with the Cinplex part of the Project.

Opening date is Christmas Day.

This will be a great addition to Hua Hin and will enhance the current boom.