Cambodia Jails Thai For 20 Years For Laying Landmines

webfact

Cambodia jails Thai for 20 years for laying landmines

PHNOM PENH: -- (AFP) - A Cambodian military tribunal convicted a Thai man of planting landmines along the country's disputed border on Friday and sentenced him to 20 years in prison, court officials said.

Thai national Suphaph Vong Pakna confessed in proceedings last week to planting at least five mines in territory disputed between Thailand and Cambodia, saying Thai soldiers had paid him to do it.

"The court has considered the accused person's confession, so it sentences him to a jail term of 20 years, which is open to appeal," military judge Pohk Pan said.

Suphaph, arrested last February, faced a maximum of 30 years in prison for attempted murder, endangering national security and entering Cambodia illegally.

Defence lawyer Sam Sokong said he would consult his client on whether to appeal the decision.

Cambodia is at loggerheads with Thailand over their border. Demarcation is complicated by landmines that still litter the area following decades of civil war in Cambodia.

The dispute escalated when an ancient temple on the border was granted UN World Heritage status in July 2008, fuelling nationalist tensions.

Since then, the neighbours have been locked in a troop stand-off on land close to the Preah Vihear temple ruins.

At least seven Thai and Cambodian soldiers have been killed in occasional gunfights, with several others killed or injured by landmines.

Thailand accused Cambodia of freshly deploying landmines after a pair of Thai soldiers were wounded in an October 2008 blast.

Although the International Court of Justice ruled in 1962 that the 11th century temple belonged to Cambodia, its most accessible entrance is in northeastern Thailand.

Cambodia this month lambasted internet giant Google for displaying a map depicting nearly half of the temple in Thailand. The company has promised to review the map.

Prime Minister Hun Sen has recently made fiery speeches chastising Thai leaders for "invading" Cambodia, and threatened to take the border dispute to the International Court of Justice in the Hague.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-02-12

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Where does one get land mines to lay? I have not seen them at Tesco. Sounds like something the army might have in stock somewhere. I guess Thailand won't really care about it because they won't want to get dragged into it like an aircraft full of weapon etc etc.

Where does one get land mines to lay? I have not seen them at Tesco. Sounds like something the army might have in stock somewhere. I guess Thailand won't really care about it because they won't want to get dragged into it like an aircraft full of weapon etc etc.

You can buy them at Villa supermarket and come disguised as Aussie pies.

They'll blow anyone up.

The Govt should give him 100 mines, have him bury them in a field, add to those 100 mines another 100 mines, placed secretly, then have him walk the length of the field, blindfolded. For every appendage blown off, he receives 5 years off the original sentence. No missing limbs=no time off. 4 limbs off=no time served.

This is a serious breach of an international treaty and cannot be taken lightly.

If the mines were indeed supplied by the Royal Thai Army, then a serious crime has occurred.

At the very least, it requires an investigation by the government and the General Staff HQ. General Anupong Paojinda in his capacity as head of the army is responsible for what occurs under his command.

I find it odd that not one of the people quick to accuse Cambodia of various infractions on the border, and none of the usual gang of "blame it on Thaksin" have commented. Perhaps they hope this will blow over. The silence is deafening.

In case the name Anupong Paojinda doesn't ring a bell with anyone, he was the commanding officer in 2006 of Bangkok and that gave the order for tanks to be sent into the streets of Bangkok. He was the man that pushed the military coup forward.

What people may not know is that last week, the General was summoned to the USA for discussions with the USA military chief of staff, General George Casey. I'm sure, the inability of the Thai army chief to maintain control over banned munitions, let alone his officers will impress General Casey. Casey the honourable crusty battle veteran meets Anupong the man that set the tanks on the people. Oh to be the jg taking notes at that meeting.

So the Thai military pays a civilian to lay land mines? I wonder what the reasoning behind this was. Then the Thai soldiers wouldn't know where the mines were.

It isnt beyond the realms of possibility that nobody laid any mines if you get my drift;)

Funny how the courts decisions in Thailand are examined, scrutinised and even questioned in the extreme but a single court decision in Cambodia is taken as fact. Surely the rationale should be equally applied at least, or are we suddenly going to find everyone accepts without question every court decison made in both countires?

Before questioning the court proceedings, I guess I am wondering why, if he is innocent, the Thai embassy, foreign ministry as well as the military haven't kicked up a fuss about this.

Is someone guilty? Has someone been thrown under the bus? Is it some sort of smokescreen?

You can buy them at Villa supermarket and come disguised as Aussie pies.

They'll blow anyone up.

I suspected that.

So the Thai military pays a civilian to lay land mines? I wonder what the reasoning behind this was. Then the Thai soldiers wouldn't know where the mines were.

My general point was that this evil man should walk unfettered through a field of his own doing, in the hopes it would be his un-doing, but I think you knew that. Also, I mentioned nothing of paying him.

To me laying mines are corollary to arson. Indiscriminate, wanton murder.

I find it odd that not one of the people quick to accuse Cambodia of various infractions on the border, and none of the usual gang of "blame it on Thaksin" have commented. Perhaps they hope this will blow over. The silence is deafening.

Or perhaps they don't think this story is anything to do with Thaksin ? :D I'm just guessing there. :)

Foreign Ministry seeking to help Thai national jailed in Cambodia for planting landmines

BANGKOK: -- (TNA) - Following the Cambodian court ruling, sentencing a Thai man to 20 years in jail for planting landmines along the Thai-Cambodian border, the Thai Minister of Foreign Affairs Kasit Piromya said on Saturday that the ministry is seeking to help the convicted Thai national and has dispatched Thai officials to visit him.

French news agency Agence-France-Presse (AFP) reported Friday that 39-year-old Suphap Pakna was sentenced to 20 years in Cambodian jail after he confessed in proceedings that he had planted at least five landmines in Cambodia's town of Anlong Veng near the disputed areas claimed by both countries.

The news service said that he was arrested one year ago and that the Cambodian authorities charged him with attempted murder, endangering national security and entering Cambodia illegally.

Associated Press (AP) quoted the Cambodian court record as saying Mr Suphap was arrested by Cambodian border guards just a few metres inside Cambodian territory while carrying a land mine on February 27, 2009.

The Thai foreign minister said that he has been informed that the Cambodian court read the verdict several days ago.

He said the foreign ministry wants to help Mr Suphap and has already instructed the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh to carry out consular visits to him.

The Cambodian court ruling came only few days after Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen visited the ancient Preah Vihear temple and boost morale for his troops stationed in the area last weekend.

The Cambodian premier also planned to visit the Ta Muen Thom ruins which belong to Thailand, but he was not allowed to enter the area as Thai security agencies said the situation was unfavourable for fear of possible confrontation with protesters from Thailand's People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) gathering near the temple.

The International Court of Justice ruled in 1962 that Preah Vihear belongs to Cambodia, but Thailand has argued that the 1.8 square miles (4.6 sq km) area near the temple belongs to it. Demarcation of the area remains unresolved, leading to sporadic clashes between soldiers of the two countries since then. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-02-14

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Firstly, the Cambodia court system isn't exactly noted for its openness. Have you, or anyone else here, seen any detailed links to the prosecution's evidence? If it is indeed true, then it is a reprehensible act, and I hope the military personnel who paid him to do it are suitably punished. Secondly, what has disliking Thaksin got to do with this? What has this got to do with Thaksin? You fall into the same trap as so many of the red shirt supporters here of thinking those who dislike Thaksin are some mindless horde, who will praise anything done by anyone not on his side. A quick look at many of the threads here shows just the opposite. Many of the red supporters and Thaksin defenders will refuse to condemn any of the acts of violence committed in his name. To which the standard reply will be "but the yellows were violent too", as if that excuses brutal beatings and the killing of innocents by any side.

What people may not know is that last week, the General was summoned to the USA for discussions with the USA military chief of staff, General George Casey. I'm sure, the inability of the Thai army chief to maintain control over banned munitions, let alone his officers will impress General Casey. Casey the honourable crusty battle veteran meets Anupong the man that set the tanks on the people. Oh to be the jg taking notes at that meeting.
More spin and lies from a poster who started out asserting his neutrality, before moving on to appoint himself the balance to the anti Thaksin posts, and then progressing to his current position of twisting news reports to make them pro Thaksin, or anti Abhisit. Without, I notice, posting any links to these assertions. Gen Anupong was invited to the Pentagon a number of months ago "Gen. Anupong Paojinda, head of the Royal Thai Army, is visiting the Pentagon from Feb. 5-12. The Thai general’s trip, U.S. diplomats said, was scheduled months ago at the request of U.S. Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey... The U.S. embassy said Anupong’s trip is a routine check-in with the Pentagon, which counts Thailand as one of its oldest and strongest Asian military allies". In fact, the reds are most upset by his having been invited there. "In their letter to Obama, the red shirts insisted Anupong’s role as a “coup co-conspirator” should disqualify the general from Pentagon visits. The trip, they claim, “does not sit well with millions of Thais who view it as a step backward” for democracy". I guess the fact that the visit went ahead shows what they think of the "millions" of reds. "This red shirt “stunt” is unlikely to harm the U.S.-Thai military alliance, said Federico Ferrara, assistant professor at the National University of Singapore and author of "Thailand Unhinged: Unraveling the Myth of a Thai-Style Democracy."... Attempting to put the Thai army chief on the wrong side of American-style principles, he said, is actually part of a larger red shirt campaign to fracture the military".

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/thailan...ntagon?page=0,0

But then, by doing the reds dirty work for them, you have succeeded in taking the thread off topic.

Edited by ballpoint

I'd guess that sae daeng could sell you 5 or 6 from his personal stckpile at home, delivery within the hour.

For a larger order he probably needs 24 hours delivery time.

I'd guess that sae daeng could sell you 5 or 6 from his personal stckpile at home, delivery within the hour.

For a larger order he probably needs 24 hours delivery time.

Gee probably the same place they got the grenade launcher and C4 explosive yesterday.