Horses For Courses

The Vulcan

With all the threads relating to lenses, cameras etc I started to review my own (expansive) collection of gear and asked myself "do I need all of this or am I just a gear slut?"

I've got Dslrs, compacts, micro 4/3rds, medium format (film) and 35mm (film) rangefinders

And the answer is yes - it's "horses for courses"

In the low light of the theatre we're I'm some distance away my 5DMK11 and 70-200 zoom is invaluable. 3200 ISO is just not on with any other format/configuration. And that's the lowest ISO I need! It's damned dark in a theatre.

This same camera again comes into it's own for sports and action stuff. Predictive focus is a must.

But I also shoot editorial, candid and street stuff. DSLRs are intrusive here - along come the rangefinders, especially my GF1 and fast lenses. For Black and White film my Contax G2 or Leica M6 are superlative. (let's not discuss digital v film eh? - some hate it - I love it, and so do my libraries!)

And then I like to shoot landscapes - Medium format for me here. The detail is the key. My Rollei and Hasselblad stuff murders my MK11. (I just wish I could afford a digital back - maybe one day :) )

The compact (Canon G10) - well, in between carrying my stuff it keeps the GF occupied, and that's a major issue on a shoot! :D

Opinions?

I've recently bought my first DSLR camera. It's a Nikon D90 with the 18-105 mm kit lens. Besides this camera I have a Canon G10.

The G10 goes when me all the time. The D90 goes with me when I go out for holidays or trips.

For me as a DLSR novice, it's a great experience to enter DLSR photography with the D90 after shooting with a Canon A10, Canon G6 and Canon G10.

In my film days it was a Minolta Dynax 700 Si.

I don't use my camera enough to justify having more than one.

At one time I had two Olympus OM bodies, one for prints, the other for slides.

Nowadays with digital I do not find the need. Even the ISO setting can be varied from one shot to the next.

ISO 3200 means I can just about photograph the proverbial black cat in a coal cellar. :)

I like the quality of the shots from my Canon 40D.

At age 63 I cannot hold one of these little point and shoot jobs steady enough to make it

worthwhile buying one. The camera on my phone is not used for the same reason.

The DSLR, firm against my head, with an IS lenses means I can still manage exposures

down to a 1/15th or so.

At age 63 I cannot hold one of these little point and shoot jobs steady enough to make it

worthwhile buying one. The camera on my phone is not used for the same reason.

The DSLR, firm against my head, with an IS lenses means I can still manage exposures

down to a 1/15th or so.

Most people can't manage shutter speed slower than that young or old, and don't most P&S these days come with image stabilizer? Just don't buy Simga DP1/2!

I can manage exposures at 1/15th with my IS lens equipped DSLR - BUT THEY AIN"T SHARP! i.e. tack sharp.

Conversely, with my MIROR-LESS GF1 this speed is possible - with great care. No mirror = no vibration.

I waited ages to get this image just right and suddenly the light dropped I was at at 1/15th ISO 640 with an 85mm lens wide open.

It just ain't sharp

I was a fool to attempt it and in a second the cavorting guy at the rear had disappeared! Shot lost :)

i.e. tack sharp.

Isn't it one of the main difference in between the day to day photographer and the professionals?

Professionals care about the content and whether the content will interest anybody else than themselves, and the way the content is presented.

And overall, it makes a better picture :)

Edited by eurasianthai

I vote gear slut Vulcan. As a shoe slut myself, I recognize the signs in others :)

dam_n - and I'd just convinced myself they were essentials :D :D

Oh, but they are essentials. Totally essential to you in maintaining a happy and satisfied state of mind. Just like my shoes. :D

I vote gear slut Vulcan. As a shoe slut myself, I recognize the signs in others :D

Oh, but they are essentials. Totally essential to you in maintaining a happy and satisfied state of mind. Just like my shoes. :D

Yes Yes Yes - you're right - they are essential.

Phew that's a relief :)

I vote gear slut Vulcan. As a shoe slut myself, I recognize the signs in others :D

Yes Yes Yes - you're right - they are essential.

Phew that's a relief :)

Next time you need help justifying a purchase, please, let me know. I am the queen of justification :D

Hmm. tough one. I've found the best defense is a good offense.

Something like, "look at this great new camera I bought while you were using mine. Its absolutely what I needed, I just love it!"

My husband has used that one for years to get his fishing gear and its always worked. :)