How Can I Survive In Bangkok For 2 Weeks W/ Limited Money?

FuninPlural

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my wife told me you could get a small thai style room for 2 weeks for around 2000 thb, numerous food carts are on every street and you can get a meal there for 30-40 thb. so really all you need is around 100 thb per day for food thats 1400 thb for food for 2 weeks, accomadation say 3000 thb thats 4300 thb in total.

doesnt leave much change for anything else.

This has got to be a leg pull. It is just wrong from start to finish. All those who gave a serious reply stand in front of the mirror and slap yourself round the face. There, does it hurt? Good. You deserve it!

If you want me to tell you why it is all wrong I will, but you must be as dim as a Toc H lamp if it needs explaining.

Edited by richm7

At approx THB 800 a day you will barely survive, in fact unless you are really in the know it will be impossible. You've been here before, do you honestly think you can walk to the airport. Don Muang was the airport in your day, now it's "Swampy", much further out.

You should head for Korea if it's cheaper. :)

what are you guys talking about ? stay at a place like this for 150-200 a night. That gives you 600 for the rest, street vendor food twice a day, I would have money to spare.

post-88550-1266288673_thumb.jpg

At approx THB 800 a day you will barely survive, in fact unless you are really in the know it will be impossible. You've been here before, do you honestly think you can walk to the airport. Don Muang was the airport in your day, now it's "Swampy", much further out.

You should head for Korea if it's cheaper. :)

what are you guys talking about ? stay at a place like this for 150-200 a night. That gives you 600 for the rest, street vendor food twice a day, I would have money to spare.

Thanks to all of those reassuring me that this is doable. I always believed that, but all of the e-angst has put some doubt in my mind. Still the ticket has been purchased, and there's no turning back now. So, let's go!

This has got to be a leg pull. It is just wrong from start to finish. All those who gave a serious reply stand in front of the mirror and slap yourself round the face. There, does it hurt? Good. You deserve it!

If you want me to tell you why it is all wrong I will, but you must be as dim as a Toc H lamp if it needs explaining.

Avatar name "Richm7" says it all. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth and never had to rough it. Posting from the presidential suite at The Oriental. :)

Edited by toptuan

Is this guy serious???? Why would anyone travel with such a low amount of funds where is the enjoyment of living and eating like a tramp???? Get real :)

lol its not a vacation is survived Vacation Bangkok realy expensive take the train to Ayutthaya 15 baht a ride and there in ayutthaya you can rent a bicycle for 30 baht a day room 150 beer at the bars Large beer 70 baht Chang Beer eat at the market each meal beetween 25 ans 35 baht and Ayutthaya realy nice city thats why i live there allmost 4 years Good Luck

But Ayutthaya has more mossies than anywhere else in Thailand other than Ko Chang . :D .I agree though that its beautiful and can be cheap .

as far as food u can easily do on 140 baht a day, or less if your not 300 lbs... and from your post this is not the case..u can eat 2 hearty, good street meals..... 2 packs of sticky rice 10 thb, a nice size piece of chicken 30-40 or a bowl of noodles with some meat... same, fruit 10thb , h2o from 7-11, 7-8 thb... very filling meal.... 2x one day = 140 or <.. easy.... especially if for short duration

Edited by wetface

shame on all those nasty TV-regulars who seem to dellight in slapping those with less money in pockets. That they even dare say its impossible shows their complete lack of any knowledge of this big city. I just hope they need to test their survival skills sooner as later.

Best poster: there is a DAFT simple answer to all your porblems: BUY A JAPANESE GUIDEBOOK-as it seems you can read it. The young JPNese bekpekker come here-all to around Khao sarn-and are able to survive on 300 thb=less as 10US$/day.

from airport take free white shuttle bus to BUSterminal-then citybus 556-cost is 33 THB. get off when the lady tells you [and where all the khon Yipun=the japs) get off. follow them

DORMS-are from 100 bt/night. mostly they take JPnese only-rooms come from 150 bt. remember that good old rule: beach street cost much more as 2nd street-this applies in this whole world-do NOT stay at that road-walk a little further. That guidebook lists them. AC=rooms start form 350 bt/day +10,50USD).

BTW: walking does not save you a cent-some citybuses are FREE (the red ones-some!) and walking some 33 km t osave 1 US$ does not make any sense. You do not need subway or skytrain that much-again your guidebook [as the JPNese are FAR more useful as the english) list the routes. Normal busfare is 7 or 8 bt., less as a quarter.

Going out of BKK also wont save a penny-this big city is the big cheap bargain-pit-out of town anything tends to cost a little more. Its just that you have to learn how to find it.

As said-pretty good meals cost 30 bt (JPNese style more), you can get instant noodles for 13/12 bt in 7-11 (as numerous as watson in JPN), transport comes nearly free,. and WiFi also is about anywhere her and free-all public schools and parks [and thus the area round it) have it. Buy a waterbootle once-and refill it for 1 bt in the machines.

The idea that you have to walk with luggage every day is utter nonsense-you rent a room for as long as you like (may even be able to get a little discount for longer time and pay up front)-and most rooms you can lock with YOUR own padlock as additional safety=this also means there will be no roomservice.

Oh-forget about that silly idea of reservation-learn to think Thai style- the really cheap places dont do that and would also not be able to handle it. just come and see whats there. commit yourself for 1 night only-then decide day 2 if you move on or stay-while you look for a new room do NOT check out yet and leave luggage in room. Theft from rooms for dirty underwear is not the thing you need to fret about.

Frankly: this TV is NOT the right forum for this-those Barstool BS parrotting regulars only have their fieldday when someone like you turns up (I know-google on forum travel Thailand lists this-a wrong thing). Go to lonelyplanet.com/thorntree and there you meet bekpekkers in the same situtaion.

And as said-youre in a lucky position-those young JPnese really know how to survive the cheap way-and you can talk with them

The MAIN hazards in getting your wallet empty are the girls (they ll find you before you find them if youre a goodlooking and tipical not-knowing-this-world USA blondie) en drink-too-muth.

Change (assuming you have cash) not too much at airport-here also on KhaoSarn are a few private exchange boots that give better rates for cash (and cash only). Using an ATM will cost you an additional 150 THB=5US for any withdrawal. And the Japs outnumber the OZzies and USAers by the million-so the yen is widely accepted at any bank.

shame on all those nasty TV-regulars who seem to dellight in slapping those with less money in pockets. That they even dare say its impossible shows their complete lack of any knowledge of this big city. I just hope they need to test their survival skills sooner as later.

Best poster: there is a DAFT simple answer to all your porblems: BUY A JAPANESE GUIDEBOOK-as it seems you can read it. The young JPNese bekpekker come here-all to around Khao sarn-and are able to survive on 300 thb=less as 10US$/day.

from airport take free white shuttle bus to BUSterminal-then citybus 556-cost is 33 THB. get off when the lady tells you [and where all the khon Yipun=the japs) get off. follow them

DORMS-are from 100 bt/night. mostly they take JPnese only-rooms come from 150 bt. remember that good old rule: beach street cost much more as 2nd street-this applies in this whole world-do NOT stay at that road-walk a little further. That guidebook lists them. AC=rooms start form 350 bt/day +10,50USD).

BTW: walking does not save you a cent-some citybuses are FREE (the red ones-some!) and walking some 33 km t osave 1 US$ does not make any sense. You do not need subway or skytrain that much-again your guidebook [as the JPNese are FAR more useful as the english) list the routes. Normal busfare is 7 or 8 bt., less as a quarter.

Going out of BKK also wont save a penny-this big city is the big cheap bargain-pit-out of town anything tends to cost a little more. Its just that you have to learn how to find it.

As said-pretty good meals cost 30 bt (JPNese style more), you can get instant noodles for 13/12 bt in 7-11 (as numerous as watson in JPN), transport comes nearly free,. and WiFi also is about anywhere her and free-all public schools and parks [and thus the area round it) have it. Buy a waterbootle once-and refill it for 1 bt in the machines.

The idea that you have to walk with luggage every day is utter nonsense-you rent a room for as long as you like (may even be able to get a little discount for longer time and pay up front)-and most rooms you can lock with YOUR own padlock as additional safety=this also means there will be no roomservice.

Oh-forget about that silly idea of reservation-learn to think Thai style- the really cheap places dont do that and would also not be able to handle it. just come and see whats there. commit yourself for 1 night only-then decide day 2 if you move on or stay-while you look for a new room do NOT check out yet and leave luggage in room. Theft from rooms for dirty underwear is not the thing you need to fret about.

Frankly: this TV is NOT the right forum for this-those Barstool BS parrotting regulars only have their fieldday when someone like you turns up (I know-google on forum travel Thailand lists this-a wrong thing). Go to lonelyplanet.com/thorntree and there you meet bekpekkers in the same situtaion.

And as said-youre in a lucky position-those young JPnese really know how to survive the cheap way-and you can talk with them

The MAIN hazards in getting your wallet empty are the girls (they ll find you before you find them if youre a goodlooking and tipical not-knowing-this-world USA blondie) en drink-too-muth.

Change (assuming you have cash) not too much at airport-here also on KhaoSarn are a few private exchange boots that give better rates for cash (and cash only). Using an ATM will cost you an additional 150 THB=5US for any withdrawal. And the Japs outnumber the OZzies and USAers by the million-so the yen is widely accepted at any bank.

Very well said!

Some of us need to be put back in place sometime….

Perhaps we can show some consideration to the OPP (FuninPlural) !!

Yes ... this TV are the right place for you, and some other boards are excellent as well.

To show you this board is genuine and restore the idea of mankind, I propose you a free meal in a good place around Khao San road, I think you may like a vegetarian restaurant like May Kaidee's or Chai & Louis

To see if I am kidding you, just message me for contact..

Cheers & have a nice trip

In continuance of my post yesterday about coffee world, I went to Khao San yesterday to check if the Coffee World there had free wifi, and they do. Just go in and buy a drink, ask for the wifi password, and you are set for wifi until they change the password. From then on you just have to find somewhere nearby that you can still get signal from, and you're set!

quoted from 'asanee'..............

"shame on all those nasty TV-regulars who seem to dellight in slapping those with less money in pockets. That they even dare say its impossible shows their complete lack of any knowledge of this big city. I just hope they need to test their survival skills sooner as later..........."

'asanee'

Thanks for being sensible . This world needs a lot of persons like you.

All my life I've been taught to be compassionate to the young.

The OP is a young student who's been living on a limited income. I admire him for his courage and his sense of adventure.

I wish I can do more to make this trip more enjoyable.

When will you be in TL ?

Thanks for all of the continued info. (especially from asanee)

-I don't speak Japanese. Do I understand alot of it, and can I get along with them, sure, but I don't really speak or read it.

-I am not blonde haired or blue-eyed. The women while tempting will have to take a back seat, and take an exit door if they think they are going to bleed me dry of the little money I have. I have experience in this world as I'm been in survival mode all my life.

-To the poster who offered me a free meal, I don't know if I can take you up on that. I really, really appreciate it, but I don't think I would feel right. I haven't done anything to deserve it. I haven't contributed on this site in any other way but for my own benefit, and at the moment it would just be awkward. If I'm down to my last baht though, my pride WON'T get in the way and I may take you up on it though.

-I am suddenly leaning towards NOT bringing my laptop with me. It was supposed to provide me w/ free internet and also give me tons of e-books and movies to help pass the time (as I don't have the funds to afford other time-consuming activities), but the fact of the matter is that I think I want to be more flexible. If I bring it with me, then I will be forced to worry about its whereabouts at all times. If I spend a night in a communal room or a single room that happens to be a dump, I'll need to worry about who was plotting on my laptop while I try to get some sleep.

-After I exhange my money, I will separate the money I need for the bus or taxi to the airport to catch my return flight. I will try to spend sparingly during the first week, and I will try to "treat" myself during the last 2-3 days.

I think that there are still 100-150 baht rooms 'behind' Kao San.

I used to stay at one called 'Central GH' (up the back lane behind the Burger King). Had lots of single plywood rooms, with fan starting at 80-100. Bathrooms down the hall. Free internet and the best cats in Thailand (really great cats!). More 'back-packy' than 'touristy'

Sweety GH used to be cheap.

If you can find a Japanese dorm, that is fun - they'll probably let you in...

Ratchmendoen Hotel across Ratchmendoen rd (Near the Mercedes dealership) has rough AC rooms w/TV starting at 350.

Street food is safe delicious cheap and everywhere. Stay away from the tourist restaurants on Kao San, and you'll be fine. You can drink the free water and ice they give you at street restaurants - it is always safe.

Non-AC city buses start at 3 or 5 baht, I think.

Bottles of Thai spirits (whisky, rum etc), are 180 baht. Cheap rice wine will kill you, but it is also under 100 baht!

Don't bring your computer. Walk half a kilometer from Kao San, and internet cafes are 10-15 baht per hour.

Don't know anything else cheaper than Miami in this area - why don't you just stay there again?

Biggest expense for tourists, other than hotel, is entertainment. If you can stay out of the bars and avoid paying for sex then your budget should not be a problem.