How Much Is A Life Worth In Thailand?

moskito

there just was a nice article 2 days ago in Phuket Gazette about the still missing beachguards on Phuket beaches.

Article you will find HERE

Phuket beach safety delayed

PHUKET TOWN: The return of lifeguards to Phuket beaches has been delayed because no companies have bid for the contract to supply them.

The Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (PPAO) has had to sweeten the contractual terms to encourage more bidders to come forward.

The winning company will now have to supply beach guards for 10 months of the year instead of 12, as in the previous terms of reference. Payment for services will remain the same at five million baht.

PPAO president Paiboon Upatising announced in January that lifeguards would be serving the island’s beaches by the end of this month.

Mr Paiboon now says he expects to announce the winner of the new tender on March 8.

Bids must be submitted by March 2.

“I hope the budget is more attractive to prospective service providers this time around. The services will start as soon as we find the new firm,” Mr Paiboon said.

Last month, two companies expected to tender for the contract failed to attend appointments to present bids to the PPAO.

+++++++++++++++

HOW MUCH IS A LIFE WORTH IN THAILAND ANYWAY?

another girl, just 14 years old drowned today at Nai Harn Beach around 3:30 afternoon. She was in the sea with her little sister about 8-9 years old which could be safed.

TERRIBLE, saving some money on beachguards when tourism industry washes BILLIONS in

hmmmm I think most insurance companies say .... about 50k baht.

My question is if you Clearly post the risks ie : SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK

This beach has a dangerous undertow at times

Why would you NEED lifeguards?

What is the liability on the company if someone drowns when a lifeguard is on duty etc?

It isn't a contract I would bid for, would you?

What is the liability on the company if someone drowns when a lifeguard is on duty etc?

Hi

If you dont know it... a lifeguard sometimes safe life, now you know!!!!!

what a question, there are people getting cramps while swimming, even a good swimmer can experience such problems and a good lifeguard can save them.

also not ALL kids know what it means to SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK :)

the offer of 8 mio baht for covering all the beaches in Phuket is not so much like it sounds btw.

I am also a certified german diving instructor (NOT PAy+DIve) and lifeguard and saved a 13 y.o. Thaigirl once while her father was staring at her in the shallow water, he couldnt swim. Another 10y.o. boy we took out of the water in Nai Harn Lagoon but all our attemps to save his life failed. These are terrible situations, specially if kids are involved and some of them doesnt happen when lifeguards are on duty.

Having been the recipient of an ocean rescue when I swam after lifeguard curfew, I understand some of the problem. There IS no perfect system. Accidents DO happen. It is a terrible tragedy that a young girl died swimming in water she probably shouldn't have been in, in the first place. But, it happens everywhere. It happened to me in Mazatland, Mexico when there was a outgoing back tow that swung parallel to the shore, but in an outward direction, took my wife and I out to sea. I was fortunate that my wife (who was a strong swimmer) was able to swim close enough to shore to cry for help. And, fortunately, the lifeguards were still sitting on a beach side cafe drinking beer after they were off duty. I'm not a strong swimmer, and actually sink if I stop moving. Two guys with those plastic floats came out to save me. It sure was an eye opener for me and I wrote a story in the local paper commending the action of the lifeguards.

now kids ... don't make me pull this car over!

I am a diver. I earned my summer money lifeguarding when I was in college (and part-time in the winter).

Thailand isn't a nanny-state. The people that replied to my post deftly overlooked the liability questions.

Parents are the ones that should be responsible for their children and the Swim at Your Own risk sign shoule be in Thai.

Yes people cramp when swimming, no big deal unless they panic.

Brit and I often see eye to eye on anything not related to politics :)

I am a diver. I earned my summer money lifeguarding when I was in college (and part-time in the winter).

Thailand isn't a nanny-state. The people that replied to my post deftly overlooked the liability questions.

Parents are the ones that should be responsible for their children and the Swim at Your Own risk sign shoule be in Thai.

Hi

I was a diver as well before moving on, so?? lifeguard still saves life

Hi

I was a diver as well before moving on, so?? lifeguard still saves life

Ah .... lifeguards save lives .... who'd a thunk it!

Again --- the responsibility lies with the swimmer or the swimmer's parents. If you want to make Thailand into a total nanny state why not require all swimmers to have a personal lifeguard? (Maybe brit's lifeguard should have his own lifeguard too just in case the first one can't swim! --- no wait the second lifeguard's job would be to save the first and who would save Brit?!!)

I guess we are from west or developed countries so differently than Thais or Thais government don’t really think the same or care the same. Thailand is behind more than 50 years to what we expect. And maybe this is why I luv it here. I hate having government dictate everything and control everything, I want I and others take ownership of our life and do dangerous things if we want too. Like swim in a place that there are no Lifeguards

Agree 100%

Beaches are dangerous. I sure as he_l would not leave my 13 year old unattended in the water !

Swim at your own risk is too much of an understatement and doesn't even hint at the risk.

It should say something a little more direct like: Dangerous Undertow to Swimmers- People Die Here

or

Deathly Undertow to Swimmers Here

Some of these replies are completely daft. And Jdinasia seems to be making a statements about "nanny states" and he is happy Thailand is so ridiculously dangerous due to lack of common sense rules that could save lives. Drowning is the number one killer of children here. Lifeguards would help save some of those lives. The argument that Thai parents should be watching their children sounds like something someone straight off the boat would say, like anyone has ever seen a Thai parent watching thier children! They dont, and if ever a country needed lifeguards to make up for it, its Thailand.

Their are a lot of folks that feel a less regulated society is better, not safer but just more enjoyable ....... I would point out that in Thailand's case it's not really unregulated it's unenforced or enforced in a select manner. I disagree with your off the boat statement, I think people who want to change Thailand to a more regulated Western Society are more likely to be the ones fresh off the plane\boat.

The two younger children in the Thai family I look after in Kanchanaburi, love to swim. I taught them at an early age HOW to swim and what to look out for. Rivers can be just as dangerous as the ocean... if not more. One day a river will be slow and meandering, and the next day it can be a raging torrent... or anything in between. I know MANY Thais who have no idea how to swim... or anything about the dangers of the water.

One thing I HAVE noticed is children are allowed to play near deep water with no supervision. I've seen it far to often for it to be a co-incidence. Until I came into their life the two kids I support did NOT know how to swim, and yet they loved the water, and were always down at the river playing with other kids. There was never an adult within sight. I would show photos to describe what I mean, but the mods here don't want to see photos of children playing.

Some of these replies are completely daft. And Jdinasia seems to be making a statements about "nanny states" and he is happy Thailand is so ridiculously dangerous due to lack of common sense rules that could save lives. Drowning is the number one killer of children here. Lifeguards would help save some of those lives. The argument that Thai parents should be watching their children sounds like something someone straight off the boat would say, like anyone has ever seen a Thai parent watching thier children! They dont, and if ever a country needed lifeguards to make up for it, its Thailand.

Drowning kills people everywhere ... children more than adults. That being said it is drowning in khlongs, swimming pools, stock ponds, lakes, bathtubs etc that kill more than at beaches.

But to me "completely daft" is abrogating the responsibility of the parents and making the state be the parent (hence "Nanny-State".)

I am not sure that more children drown than die on motorcycles in Thailand and I am 100% sure that far morechildren are hurt on motorcycles than are hurt by swimming.

Note --- nobody has addressed my question regarding liability.

Their are a lot of folks that feel a less regulated society is better, not safer but just more enjoyable ....... I would point out that in Thailand's case it's not really unregulated it's unenforced or enforced in a select manner. I disagree with your off the boat statement, I think people who want to change Thailand to a more regulated Western Society are more likely to be the ones fresh off the plane\boat.

I didnt say they seemed fresh off the boat because they didnt want a nanny state, I said they were fresh off the boat because they thought Thai parents should be more responsible. Live here a few years and you quickly realise responsible and parenting do not belong in the same sentence when describing Thais.

Jdinasia, there was a thread just posted recently stating the facts about drowning being the number one killer of children here. Not motorcycles. And not in bathtubs!

Edited by TheLaughingMan

I didnt say they seemed fresh off the boat because they didnt want a nanny state, I said they were fresh off the boat because they thought Thai parents should be more responsible. Live here a few years and you quickly realise responsible and parenting do not belong in the same sentence when describing Thais.

Jdinasia, there was a thread just posted recently stating the facts about drowning being the number one killer of children here. Not motorcycles. And not in bathtubs!

ummmm Yes .. you want to make the STATE responsible for someone's children --- the state to be the nanny.

Now ---- let's see what that article you are stating your "facts" come from has to say about it ....

But the report said drowning was largely missing from child mortality statistics because many children who drown are often never taken to hospitals.

"You have this child floating face-down in a pond, and you don't take it to a hospital," said Dr. Michael Linnan, a co-author and technical director of the Alliance for Safe Children. "So that death never shows up."

The Asia-Pacific region is home to vast coasts and waterways, yet many people cannot swim. Thousands drown every year during powerful typhoons, monsoon floods or simply from falling into rivers or ponds. Linnan estimated about 240,000 children up to 17 years old drown each year across the region.

He said governments should raise community awareness about the need to better supervise small children around water and teach them how to swim. He said the Alliance for Safe Children was involved in a program in Bangladesh that has taught 23,000 children to swim and there were plans to duplicate it nationally.

Ummmmm teach the kids to sweim .... Hey! There's an idea! Better supervise small children! Hey! Novel idea! parents should be responsible for their kids!

Note .. the article says WHERE kids die from drowning and strangely tourist beaches aren't on the list! I am sure I have seen reports of more kids dieing on motorcycle this last month than having died at tourist beaches!

So that makes it more like the question is "What is a Thai life worth". foreign kids are unlikely to be non-swimmers etc etc etc.

So all we really need is one big sign at the border - "Enter at your own risk"

hmmmmm.. could be ionto something there...

Edited by bangon04

I agree with Jdinasia...it's "nannying" & nothing less.

Considering the amount of water areas in Thailand, I'm surprised at the amount of people who can't swim. But not to worry...if you can't swim, let's blame it on a lack of lifesavers.

Also, I haven't seen any "surf" beaches in Thailand. If these did exist here, I'm sure the amount of deaths would increase...as in Australia. But then again, not many Australians die from drowning at surf beaches...only the tourists who can't swim.