Private Dancer ... The Book..

johnnyj

Having read the Book "Private Dancer"

I wondered what various Ex-pats experiences were like and if many of you had similar experiences?

(obviously not exactly the same - but in the same theme)

apologies if this is the wrong section.

As a good listener/victim (sometimes), I would say that many ex pats decided that they were among the lucky ones, compared to characters in the book. Others could probably write about their experiences, which would make characters in Private Dancer look like the lucky ones. There are many similar experiences due to the girls talking about their private lives, thus teaching others the ropes. Every now and then someone comes up with a unique (stay tuned to TV) gig, but for the most part, the girls have the opportunity to ply their trade due to the new generation of suckers arriving each season. The scams seem consistent through out the world, its just that there are a vast number of naive people out there.

Within the last year there were several previous topics on the books: Thailand Fever and Private Dancer. A simple search should find them. There were MANY replies to the topic... and some were even interesting. :)

As I've said many times, all books are written with the intention to make money (but seldom do for the writer). Facts have a way of blending into fiction. Just read them for their entertainment value and if you discover something of interest then so much the better.

Not again please. This book has been done to death on here.

Yes, it's an accurate portrayal of the bar girl scene

Yes, there are many such like stories.

Yes, all of this will happen over and over again.

Isn't anyone else bored with the subject by now?

Hi

it's not the girls in the bars,it's when they

get you back too their homes.

I was the first in my village and at one point over 20

but now just 3 hardcore men.

I have seen every type of scam and still today it's going ON.

Khirimart 4 :):D:D:D

lets be honest, WHO goes in a (strip)bar or in a whorehouse in Europe USAmerica or Australia, fall imidiately in love with the LADY taking care and offer some special services and a short time ( :) ) after it, decides to marry her, take her away of that "establishment" buys her a house and a motobike for her brother, adopt the whole family including the waterbuffalo and from then on lives a peacefull life.....and if they not died....... :D :D :D

GET REAL and wake up. ThaiLADYs are not that stupid like reputation precedes.

I give it up long ago talking to farangs about their new girl. Costs me too many customers to be honest :D

ANYWAY best of LUCK.....most problems solve by itself when the money is finally finish :D

a lucky man :D

I first read this book back in 2002 I think and it was a mirror of the life of a mate who recommended it to me! My wife hates it when I read it, she is Thai, as I read different bits all the time! I usually read it before we go back to Thai incase I stray (joking) but I do get it out occasionally ( the book that is) to read a chapter and now I can skip to the interesting bits easily, a good read and I bet there are loads of men that can ralate to being 'played' by a BG.

Good read anyway. Highly recommended but maybe not if you have been 'stung' as it makes you realise what a fool you have been.

Within the last year there were several previous topics on the books: Thailand Fever and Private Dancer. A simple search should find them. There were MANY replies to the topic... and some were even interesting. :)

As I've said many times, all books are written with the intention to make money (but seldom do for the writer). Facts have a way of blending into fiction. Just read them for their entertainment value and if you discover something of interest then so much the better.

A forum is for newer members too, Ian. Private dancer IS fiction but much of what is written actually does happen. Your comment is very one-sided.

caf

To reply to the OP, it is probably read (IMHO) by so many expats because they like reliving the experience!!!

It was that traumatic or they came so close to a being a character in a book or they are looking for some recognition from the author....or like me I need to read this book to find out if I am the main character and do not know it yet!!!! if the later, I will be looking for royalities of course.

lets be honest, WHO goes in a (strip)bar or in a whorehouse in Europe USAmerica or Australia, fall imidiately in love with the LADY taking care and offer some special services and a short time ( :) ) after it, decides to marry her, take her away of that "establishment" buys her a house and a motobike for her brother, adopt the whole family including the waterbuffalo and from then on lives a peacefull life.....and if they not died....... :D :D :D

I give it up long ago talking to farangs about their new girl. Costs me too many customers to be honest :D

ANYWAY best of LUCK.....most problems solve by itself when the money is finally finish :D

a lucky man :D

This book only pertains to the Bargirls me thinks.

if you like to read a REALLY GOOD BOOK about Bkk you should go for BANKGOK 8 by John Burdett.

One of the best books "about" Thailand I know :)

A short info about content:

Several things make Bangkok 8 stand out from most mystery potboilers. The first is the setting, the city of Bangkok, where sex is sold openly on the street and the police are corrupt. The police, though, are seen as businessman who make money from the crimes committed in their district and the protection they provide in return for keeping the peace. The other key ingredient is the protagonist, Detective Sonchai Jitpleecheep, who is not just an honest cop, but after training in a Buddhist monastery, he is an arhat, a Buddhist saint in this lifetime. Sonchai narrates the novel, telling it to Western foreigners, farang, who are reading his story. Not only does Sonchai tell us about his attempts to solve the mystery, but he educates us in the way of Buddhism, Thailand, and the difference between life in the East and the West. He is the son of a Thai woman, a prostitute, and an American serviceman during the Vietnam war. Sonchai is not fond of Western ideas, and Americans in particular, but he loves his hometown of Bangkok, or Krung Trep, as the locals call it. Sonchai explains, "Krung Trep means City of Angels, but we are happy to call it Bangkok if it helps to separate a farang from his money."

source

I was lent the book by a friend who assured me it was 'really authentic'--I have to say that I did not find it realistic, only cliche ridden, and badly written--but I too, like William Osbourne, am not a fan of the author's.

A cliche has to be based in truth (or reality) otherwise it doesn't work...

• 2 years later...
lets be honest, WHO goes in a (strip)bar or in a whorehouse in Europe USAmerica or Australia, fall imidiately in love with the LADY taking care and offer some special services and a short time ( rolleyes.gif ) after it, decides to marry her, take her away of that "establishment" buys her a house and a motobike for her brother, adopt the whole family including the waterbuffalo and from then on lives a peacefull life.....and if they not died....... laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I give it up long ago talking to farangs about their new girl. Costs me too many customers to be honest rolleyes.gif

ANYWAY best of LUCK.....most problems solve by itself when the money is finally finish laugh.gif

a lucky man cool.gif

This book only pertains to the Bargirls me thinks.

Surely NOT!!

And how do one know, that the new GF is not a former bargirl?