This Morning One Of The Locals Came Calling

t.s

Cheeky b@stards.

I think these little beggars can sting ya.

We sometimes get them coming up our drains into the bathroom, but I'm in the sticks, it's expected.

Give him the cheap coffee then maybe he will move on.

i have been nailed by one of these before. very painful, leg swelled up to near bursting below the knee and foot.

could not wear a pair of shoes for almost 3 weeks.

i see one of these every few months.

We get these ugly buggers around our house from time to time. need to be very careful around infants, small children ,and the elderly (or anyone with a low immune system)., as a sting from a large centipede can be dangerous to deadly. Our niece was bitten by one out in the village, and became very sick. Best to keep your bed off of the floor, and bathroom drains plugged when not in use.

Used to have one as a pet. I would feed it pinky mice and I never found any bones!

Many Asian breeds are capable of killing animals up to 20kg, so pets and children beware. As for us being bigger, we only have to stuff a burning sensation that can last up to 20hrs, unless you are allergic to the venom.

They are also very aggressive and very quick/maneuverable. The last two legs are longer than the rest and they can quickly grasp onto things and whip around and get you. I know people who have tried to poke them with a stick to only have then get on the stick run up it and bite before the person even has the time to react and drop the stick.

As stated by mizzi, keep your drains plugged, they thrive in high humidity and are very capable swimmers.

Cheeky b@stards.

I think these little beggars can sting ya.

We sometimes get them coming up our drains into the bathroom, but I'm in the sticks, it's expected.

Give him the cheap coffee then maybe he will move on.

A nasty does of Nescafe original should sort him out.

Oh, on a similar note. A mate from NY who lives round the corner found that sweetener (you know, that sugar alternative 'orrible stuff) kills ants. Don't need that much of it either (very expensive). Just pour a few sachets around the nest . . . gone!

I get those in my bathroom had 2 in last week. I pour cleaner on them and they die. They seem to live behind the tiles. I kill them as soon as I see them. I saw one come out from between the tiles in the grout .

Might be time to get the tilers in.

I had one, the other day, on the front patio. Also one giant mutha of a scorpion about 8 months ago. That's been it.

That's not a centipede, THIS is a centipede

Maybe this thread should be in 'pets' :)

they said up to 34 centimetres in the video. The pen in the photo is 16 cm, so it is a pretty safe estimation the centipede above is a minumum of 20 though seeing it in comparison with the sides of the bucket i would say 24 is not unrealistic.

fyi, this fellow was thrown alive into klong san saeb.

Edited by t.s
fixed the quotes :)

Thais call them Takab, and are also very afraid of them.

One of my university students who lives alone in a ground-floor dormitory unit was bitten on the neck when sleeping and couldn't move for three days because of the excruciating pain. After laying in agony for that amount of time, he finally gained strength to crawl to the nearest clinic (across the street) for treatment.

Enough of a story to earn my respect for these creepy-crawlies.

Edited by toptuan

I get those in my bathroom had 2 in last week. I pour cleaner on them and they die. They seem to live behind the tiles. I kill them as soon as I see them. I saw one come out from between the tiles in the grout .

Very true.

My bathroom is relativley new.

Will Big C coffee do the trick?

Thais call them Takab, and are also very afraid of them.

One of my university students who lives alone in a ground-floor dormitory unit was bitten on the neck when sleeping and couldn't move for three days because of the excruciating pain. After laying in agony for that amount of time, he finally gained strength to crawl to the nearest clinic (across the street) for treatment.

Enough of a story to earn my respect for these creepy-crawlies.

Cough mixture. Drink that. Apparently that works. Dunno why . . .

Antihistamines in the cough syrup. A good stop gap before you get to the hospital, especially if it's far away and even more so if you happen to be allergic. Probably a good idea to keep something basic like OTC chlorpheniramine tablets in your home (and possibly automobile first aid kit) for such occasions.

:)

:) I lived in Hua Hin for 7 years. Our townhouse backed up to a jungle next to the railroad tracks. I had plenty of these coming up in the downstairs bathroom drain. Let me let you in on a little tip> Every couple of days throw a good dose of bleach down the drain. It is "Haiterr" in Thai. That will do the trick.

L

If you chopped them into half they instantly becomes 2 centipedes and still lives.

I usually feed the smallers ones to my arowanas and the bigger ones you can actually eat them which i was taught in jungle suvival but tried just that one time

If you chopped them into half they instantly becomes 2 centipedes and still lives.

I usually feed the smallers ones to my arowanas and the bigger ones you can actually eat them which i was taught in jungle suvival but tried just that one time

I will take your word for it, but have no interest in partaking 555. :) I have a flowerhorn (red dragon) I wonder if this would be a little delicacy for him? He likes blood worms.

post-55616-1266481479_thumb.jpg

That's not a centipede, THIS is a centipede

Maybe this thread should be in 'pets' :)

This one makes my skin crawl even more! (and it's in Penang, not far away!)

I'm okay with snakes and spiders, but scorpions and these kind of giant centipedes freak me out! Maybe it's because we don't have them in Canada?