Networking My Tv

bkkmick

Not sure if this should be in Audio/Visual or the general IT section, so I put it in here.

I bought a new TV at the weekend. There was an LG that had BlueTooth but it was only 100hz and sport looked a bit blurry on it, so I went for a different TV that's 240hz and sport looks good on it. Anyway...

I can plug my external drive into the USB port and watch movies off it and the quality is excellent. I was wondering if there's a way that I can connect it wirelessly or via a bluetooth dongle to my PC. It has the standard USB and HDMI ports.

Thanks.

Mick

Interesting idea Gary. I don't have an XBox but I do have a Wii. It has two USB ports on it....I wonder if I could plug in a Wireless USB dongle into one and connect the other USB port to the TV. Don't really want to lay a lan cable around the living room.

Yes you can do it with a Wii, but you need to run a media sharing application.

Tversity and Orb both will let you stream media from the PC to your wii, via the wii's opera browser. (or indeed any device with an internet browser...)

Better still both applications are free and have good tutorials, so long as you follow them to the letter

Edited by quiksilva

Thanks for the ideas. Almost got there using the Wii. Got it wirelessly connected to my network. After much Google/Youtube 'ing I found how to install the Internet channel to get access to Orb. Unfortunately, when I went to pay, it was USA details only. No option to change the country. Weird that. Cutting off so much of the world (unless I'm missing something).

Ah well, where's that black-board?

Ive got a genuine Xbox360 WiFi dongle that I imported from the UK here if anyone needs one, It worked a treat streaming movies/music and TV shows, up until my Xbox got banned that is.... its now useless to me (the wifi dongle that is)....

Cost me 50Quid make me a respectable offer and its yours.

I wonder if I could plug in a Wireless USB dongle into one and connect the other USB port to the TV.

I doubt the TV will offer you any facility to configure the wireless usb device. :)

Your best bet is a dreambox.

Connect the DB to the TV and a wireless access point to the ethernet port on the DB

Pair the wireless AP with the router on your computer and then you can stream programmes from the

computer to the DB and hence the TV

If the DB has a hard disk recording facility you can back up recorded programmes to you computer as well :D

Dreambox is an interesting idea, Astral. Where can I buy one?

If I could have purchased Wii points online I think that maybe the idea suggested by QuikSilva might have worked! Searched online and I can't figure out why they make it so difficult to buy them!? I can buy a card off Amazon and get it sent to me.

edit: OK, Google is my friend. Just curious what version I need...reading...

Edited by bkkmick

It definitely works, Mick. You run Orb on the PC which holds your media, which is entirely free to download and use. (it works with xbox 360's, ps3's, phones, anything with a browser).

If you upgrade the wii's OS to the latest version you'll get the opera browser free of charge (you used to have to pay for it, but Nintendo made it available for all users and refunded the wii points to those who previously brought it.

The only problem with that though is that by upgrading the OS you'll lose the ability to play backups if you have a soft modded wii, which wont be a problem if all your games are legit.

Edited by quiksilva