Makng The Move Soon

Making the permanent move to Thailand in a couple of months. I will be moving out to the sticks and I was thinking of things I could bring that will benefit me in my first teaching post. Any suggestions? So far I have:

Oh I have my TEFL certification - so the following books would be for refernce and further education of myself.

Couple of dictionaries

A grammar book - any suggestions?

A phonetics book - any suggestions?

Couple of games of scrabble

Making the permanent move to Thailand in a couple of months.  I will be moving out to the sticks and I was thinking of things I could bring that will benefit me in my first teaching post. Any suggestions? So far I have:

Oh I have my TEFL certification - so the following books would be for refernce and further education of myself.

Couple of dictionaries

Yes, just checked out our library here (I'm in the UK at present and will be doing the same as you in a couple of months) and there's tons of books.

However, I've been boning up on some TEFL books which I got from a Bkk based TEFL institute and there's repeated reference to a series called Headway. I've checked here and there's a very wide range of them from basic through to advanced with books for both tutor and student. The authors are John and Liz Soars and you should find them in a good bookshop (like Waterstones) or even on Amazon.

A URL you might like to put in your back pocket for now is this one

http://www.macmillanenglish.com/

You can subscribe which means that you'll get regular emails with updates etc. They have a branch in Bkk too. The site itself has plenty of ideas and suggestions and you could find it useful - especially in the 'sticks' where your nearest academic bookshop is probably hundreds (or thousands) of miles away.

It's always useful too to Google for TEFL sites. Part of my work here is researching material for Key Skills for the electronic learning platforms we have and I was staggered by the number of EFL (or ESL in America) sites there are with tons of lesson plans, schemes of work, material and ideas (where others have done all the donkey work for you).

Hope this helps.

See you there !

Edited by Welshman

Making the permanent move to Thailand in a couple of months.  I will be moving out to the sticks and I was thinking of things I could bring that will benefit me in my first teaching post. Any suggestions? So far I have:

Couple of dictionaries

Yes, just checked out our library here (I'm in the UK at present and will be doing the same as you in a couple of months) and there's tons of books.

However, I've been boning up on some TEFL books which I got from a Bkk based TEFL institute and there's repeated reference to a series called Headway. I've checked here and there's a very wide range of them from basic through to advanced with books for both tutor and student. The authors are John and Liz Soars and you should find them in a good bookshop (like Waterstones) or even on Amazon.

A URL you might like to put in your back pocket for now is this one

http://www.macmillanenglish.com/

You can subscribe which means that you'll get regular emails with updates etc. They have a branch in Bkk too. The site itself has plenty of ideas and suggestions and you could find it useful - especially in the 'sticks' where your nearest academic bookshop is probably hundreds (or thousands) of miles away.

It's always useful too to Google for TEFL sites. Part of my work here is researching material for Key Skills for the electronic learning platforms we have and I was staggered by the number of EFL (or ESL in America) sites there are with tons of lesson plans, schemes of work, material and ideas (where others have done all the donkey work for you).

Hope this helps.

See you there !

Thanks for that.

Max, those good dictionaries are heavy. Are they really that recent, and that good? DK bookstores have a fair number of decent ones. I paid 495 baht for a heavy British newly published one. You don't want to go through Customs saying, "Oh, he's not heavy; he's my dictionary."

Since you are moving to the sticks you will be hearing roosters, dogs, and cats at all hours of the day and night. If this might bother you I suggest bringing a good supply of ear plugs. They are also good for sleeping on trains and buses and if you happen to book a hotel room on a noisy street. Haven't found ear plugs in Thailand.

A good teacher needs a good nights sleep!

Edited by chownah

Sorry I was being faecetious...and it's best not to be things you can't spell!

You got that right- considering that the correct spelling is facetious!

Great word though! Did you know that facetiously is the only word in english that uses every vowel including Y in order? :o:D

Sorry I was being faecetious...and it's best not to be things you can't spell!

You got that right- considering that the correct spelling is facetious!

Great word though! Did you know that facetiously is the only word in english that uses every vowel including Y in order? :o:D

No, I surely didn't know that, and it helps me remember how to spell it next time, instead of making it look like the British term for excrement. :D

In Spanish there's only one word containing all the vowels: the word for the flying bat, murcielago which coincidentally is the name of a great Lamborghini, which are always named after bulls.

Future Welcome to teaching English in the LOS.

Seems you have the right books.. Really what you have listed seems fine.. books are heavy and bulky in your suitcase.. you can find the appropriate resources in THAILAND.. Chula Bookstore is one place. Also..."some" instructional manual written by Thai educator who have studied abroad are quite valuable.. Such as "Mastering the Structure of English" written by Praomrat Jotkiasthira...but this is more a Linguistic Reference for the university level.

Hmmm. Since this will be your first assignment with "Thai" students....If I had to do it over.. I would load up on .... Instructional Games... CD, tutoring programs, also magazines from your country that are appropriate to your class level. But of course you can find all this with various educational resouce organizations.

Bring some examples of authetic English..... adverts from your native land, instructional documents, articles that showcase examples of grammatical structures...on that note.. Tapes of various styles of spoken English. radio adverts, short interviews, and of course those popular songs.. the kids.. like those things.

However, the most important quality: The New Teacher.... should be.. is your openess to adapt and instruct... Keep a good sense of humor.. keep your teaching goals simple, keep your westernism in check and do it in the Thai way.

Learn to smile with honest content.. as your students will like this very much..It is important they like you...with 50 kids to a class..

Learn to accept "some" wisdom gems from Thai teachers that have taught English before you...AND.. Do respect their position, but not the person.

"Also... Don't dip your ink, in the company well" you will find other ink receptacles.

Learn to devise strategies... when the lesson plan does not work, when the copier breaks down...Learn to control your anger when the students are talking while you are lecturing... Establish control and set class rules very early.. NO one is to talk on their Cell phone while I'm lecturing.. .Good Luck..

And...Do not expect the student to respond to you...as you would like.. Yes, they will be respectfuly, however, because you are new.. and they will know it, because of your eagerness to please, and because they will not understand commands... Keep your instructions EASY, and by the numbers.

LEarn or devise strategies for dealing with "Challenging students" The rules are a bit different..you don't want.. Police chief Dad comming to speak to you when his hoodlum son(s) complain.

You have read this before: so here is the last bit .. Expect Nothing, but be prepared ....for everything.. Enjoy the ride.

Also... prepare the funds for those weekends away in Western Environmental comfort in BKK. GO DO..

Future Welcome to teaching English in the LOS.

Seems you have the right books.. Really what you have listed seems fine.. books are heavy and bulky in your suitcase.. you can find the appropriate resources in THAILAND.. Chula Bookstore is one place.  Also..."some" instructional manual written by Thai educator who have studied abroad are quite valuable.. Such as "Mastering the Structure of English"  written by Praomrat  Jotkiasthira...but this is more a Linguistic Reference for the university level.

Hmmm.  Since this will be your first assignment with "Thai" students....If I had to do it over.. I would load up on .... Instructional Games... CD,  tutoring programs, also magazines from your country that are appropriate to your class level. But of course you can find all this with various educational resouce organizations.

Bring some examples of authetic English..... adverts from your native land, instructional documents,  articles that showcase examples of grammatical structures...on that note.. Tapes of various styles of spoken English.  radio adverts, short interviews, and of course those popular songs.. the kids.. like those things.

However, the most important quality: The New Teacher.... should be.. is your openess to adapt and instruct... Keep a good sense of  humor.. keep your teaching goals simple, keep your westernism in check and do it in the Thai way.

Learn to smile with honest content.. as your students will like this very much..It is important they like you...with 50 kids to a class..

Learn to accept "some" wisdom gems from Thai teachers that have taught English before you...AND.. Do respect their position, but not the person.

"Also... Don't dip your ink, in the company well"  you will find other ink receptacles.

Learn to devise strategies... when the lesson plan does not work,  when the copier breaks down...Learn to control your anger when the students are talking while you are lecturing... Establish control and set class rules very early.. NO one is to talk on their Cell phone while I'm lecturing.. .Good Luck..

And...Do not expect the student to respond to you...as you would like.. Yes, they will be respectfuly, however, because you are new.. and they will know it, because of your eagerness to please, and because they will not understand commands... Keep your instructions EASY, and by the numbers.

LEarn or devise strategies for dealing with "Challenging students"  The rules are a bit different..you don't want.. Police chief Dad comming to speak to you when his hoodlum son(s) complain.

You have read this before:  so here is the last bit .. Expect Nothing, but be prepared ....for everything..  Enjoy the ride.

Also... prepare the funds for those weekends away in Western Environmental comfort in BKK.    GO DO..

Great post - thanks dude.

Mighty MAX Cherry, So when is the big move.. Have you gathered all your resources.. Many schools start up again at the end of this month..

Also.. I forgot to add... IF.. ever you are asked by a well-meaning Master's or Ph.D student to edit their thesis or dissertation written in English... REFUSE... Unless you know the person and want to help as a pal..

Enjoy the ride :o