Hi all

just finished construction & the waste pipe from the kitchen is blocked.

had some guy around with a plunger & he couldn't shift it & recommended that we rip the pipe out & install a new one.

I'm not keen on that & would prefer to try someone with a little more technology than a plunger.

Does anyone have any experience with companies that help to clear pipes in Bangkok ? (e.g. Dyno-rod)

Name and/or number would be nice....

Cheers

Pedro

theres an acid they sell in the hard ware stores, worked every time i have used it, its about 65 baht a bottle, its about 200mls, i believe its an orange colored bottle, its extremely strong so dont splash it on your self, pour it down the sink and leave the room for 10 minutes as it gives off noxious vapours, i have used it on about 50 blocked pipes and it has worked every time.

The 'acid' as you call it is usually sodium hydroxide and it's intended to clear organic waste blockages such as food, hair, grease etc.

Sounds like our poster has a mechanical blockage (new build?) so it needs a mechanical solution. He mentions 'Dyna-rod' and that's probably what it needs. A metal snake down the pipe. However, if the drain pipe has collapsed (subsided) because it was not installed properly then it's a dig up and re-lay.

If it's new build, what does the builder have to say? Surely this is a 'fix' under warranty?

theres an acid they sell in the hard ware stores, worked every time i have used it, its about 65 baht a bottle, its about 200mls, i believe its an orange colored bottle, its extremely strong so dont splash it on your self, pour it down the sink and leave the room for 10 minutes as it gives off noxious vapours, i have used it on about 50 blocked pipes and it has worked every time.

Have you ever used this in toilets? I have had a couple of blockages caused by toilet paper and 4" pipes not being big enough. I am loathe to rip out the bathrooms but also dont want to shell out thousands for some dimwit with a vacuum hose who always insists on emptying my septic tank after filling it with couple hundred litres of clear water and then charging me for what he has extracted, including the couple hundred itres of clean water he just put in the tank.

digger, i have used it in toilets and everything, it even breaks down the silty cement in pipes from when the workers have been cleaning out cement buckets in the sink, now i have to admit that my knowledge of physics is extremely limited, but when this stuff hits water it like boils it, whether its cos its an acid and thats a normal reaction im not sure, if this stuff gets on your skin it starts burning in seconds, and i mean just a tiny little drip, its that strong, it will also burn thru the plastic waste pipes.

when you pour it into a toilet there will be clouds of vapour straight away, i really cant stress enough how dangerous this stuff can be, but it sure does work good :o

Hi all

just finished construction & the waste pipe from the kitchen is blocked.

had some guy around with a plunger & he couldn't shift it & recommended that we rip the pipe out & install a new one.

I'm not keen on that & would prefer to try someone with a little more technology than a plunger.

Does anyone have any experience with companies that help to clear pipes in Bangkok ? (e.g. Dyno-rod)

Name and/or number would be nice....

Cheers

Pedro

I suppose the pipe does actually go all the way between the two ends, not just a bit stuck in the concrete at each end. :o

Going to have fun removing that 'blockage'. :D

digger, i have used it in toilets and everything, it even breaks down the silty cement in pipes from when the workers have been cleaning out cement buckets in the sink, now i have to admit that my knowledge of physics is extremely limited, but when this stuff hits water it like boils it, whether its cos its an acid and thats a normal reaction im not sure, if this stuff gets on your skin it starts burning in seconds, and i mean just a tiny little drip, its that strong, it will also burn thru the plastic waste pipes.

when you pour it into a toilet there will be clouds of vapour straight away, i really cant stress enough how dangerous this stuff can be, but it sure does work good :o

Stupid layman question but if it burns through plastic pipes, of which 99% of thai homes are using, are you not storing up trouble for later on (i.e when your walls start to smell of biodegradable <deleted>)?

Yes, that's why I 'd stay away from pouring chemicals in PVC pipes which also sometimes lead to the plastic septic tank. If the chemical happens to be lighter than water and stays still floating on top you may just end up with a leaking septic tank...

Go with the hand held metal snake first. That's break up and pull back concrete or ceramic.

I kept plugging the drain pipes with plastic bags to prevent junk from getting in there when the house was under construction but the workers removed them to take a leak I guess and never put them back on. I had to scoop out pieces of wood, concrete and ceramic from the toilet drain. It blocked a few times when we moved in but hasn't done so in 8 months now.

Yes, that's why I 'd stay away from pouring chemicals in PVC pipes which also sometimes lead to  the plastic septic tank. If the chemical happens to be lighter than water and stays still floating on top you may just end up with a leaking septic tank...

Go with the hand held metal snake first. That's break up and pull back concrete or ceramic.

I kept plugging the drain pipes with plastic bags to prevent junk from getting in  there when the house was under construction but the workers removed them to take a leak I guess and never put them back on. I had to scoop out pieces of wood, concrete and ceramic from the toilet drain. It blocked a few times when we moved in but hasn't done so in 8 months now.

Is this 'metal snake' something I can buy ? Any idea which shops in bangkok might have one ?

Cheers

Pedro

Yes, that's why I 'd stay away from pouring chemicals in PVC pipes which also sometimes lead to  the plastic septic tank. If the chemical happens to be lighter than water and stays still floating on top you may just end up with a leaking septic tank...

I kept plugging the drain pipes with plastic bags to prevent junk from getting in  there when the house was under construction but the workers removed them to take a leak I guess and never put them back on. I had to scoop out pieces of wood, concrete and ceramic from the toilet drain. It blocked a few times when we moved in but hasn't done so in 8 months now.

Is this 'metal snake' something I can buy ? Any idea which shops in bangkok might have one ?

Cheers

Pedro

HomePro should have them. It is a long flexible springy thing about 4mm in diameter, comes coiled up on a reel.

I have seen them, probably at Home Pro type place, in the 2 or 3 thousand baht range but any place that sells pipe or pumps should be able to provide you a plumber who can do the dirty work. Another thing often used for blockage removal here is air from high pressure tank. Can get rather dirty at exit point. :o

I forget the name of the stuff, but I have used it.It comes in a powder form.Just pour it down the drain and watch it do it's stuff..fantastic!!.Normally these pipe cleaners are caustic.ie:very strong alkaline .