Media Streamer/device

Wolfie

I am looking for a solution to stream the media from my PC to my TV, currently i just run a HDMI cable from the PC to the TV, but i will be moving very soon to a new place and this solution wont work

I know you can get some pretty decent Media Streamers now, for not a lot of money, does anyone have any recommendations or advice on what to get, what to avoid etc? It needs to be a wireless solution and needs to support as many of the media file types as possible.

A 360 with a wireless dongle will work, albeit a little restrictive on file types. I prefer a wired setup, I use ethernet, and xvid and h.264 video files both stream flawlessly (albeit wmp11 needs a registry hack to get h.264 working, in vista / xp but its easy to find and simple enough to do, better still no hack needed at all in WMP12 for windows 7)

As my Xbox360 got banned (MS disables the wifi and media player) I had to look at alternatives, The WD TV Live looks real good, but as I was not sure on the WiFi dongle for it I ended purchasing an Xtreamer (on recomendation from Friends in AUS) and Wifi Dongle from InvadeIT for 6642b (Delivered) , it works a treat and was easy to set up.

I've got an Xbox360 which i used to use as a streaming device, i found the Windows Media center too restrictive on the file types, so i installed TVersity, but that program is a serious resource Hog, so i moved to a direct wired connection from my GFX card to the TV.

Hence i am now looking for an alternative solution

Dont use media centre on the Xbox360, I played directly from the shared folders that show up on the dashboard, streamed well over WiFi without the media centre lag.

Where do you live, If you like I can lend my now defuct Xbox360 WiFi adaptor to have a play with as I beleive the Xbox streamed/played just as well as my xtreamer over WiFi.

WiFi is the variable, unless your going to be running a Lan cable the bottleneck will be your connection strength.

Edited by Spoonman

Mate, I dont use media center either, (although I have tried it ,I didnt like the delay and niothing would work with it), these days I share files via windows media player 11, and it works a treat especially with the registry patch mentioned above (you can google it or hit me up by PM if you want it), for the files that dont work I use transcode 360 and stream via tversity. It doesn't let you do every file type, due to the 360's limitations of course but its not bad.