Khon Kaen Immigration

klikster

I read a post not too long ago about the KK immigration office being a pretty miserable experience for a 1-year retirement extension. I will probably be using that office in June for my retirement extension, so was wondering if anyone has had happier experiences?

I extended there (marriage) back in Nov and to be quite frank it was completely straight forward. They even allowed me a bit of leeway because my bank book was updated the day before and not the day of the extension. I reported my 90 days 5 days after the official date (as allowed by the rules) and again straight forward. No accusations of being late etc. Got to speak as I find to be honest.

They even allowed me a bit of leeway because my bank book was updated the day before and not the day of the extension.

I don't think I have ever updated my bank books on the day of the extension. I think I remember that the letter needs to be current within 30 days. Maybe that's in error, but mine has never been dated the day of the extension .. since 1997.

Agree with Klikster above.

As KK now the office for many outlaying regions, cannot see that they could be too strict with the date of the "Bank Letter"

30 days may be pushing it, (is there an actual rule?) but surely a few days grace with a current ATM slip from KK area should be reasonable.

How long before your application was your bank book updated mate? Which immi office was it at? Khon Kaen only accepted mine from the day before because I also presented them with an ATM slip which I printed out the morning of the extension showing the same balance as the bank book and letter from the bank.

The bank letter has to be up to date because surely it's certifying a balance of 400k (or whatever) on the day of the extension . That's how it's always been for me. As the amount has to be in the bank for 3 months (or 2 depending) before the extension how can a letter from a month before meet the requirements?

Not taking the piss. Genuinely interested how you made it work.

Edited by mca

How long before your application was your bank book updated mate?

Same time the letter was issued, sometimes a week or more before the application.

I don't think I have ever presented an updated book and bank letter dated the same day of the application.

Which immi office was it at?

Bangkok and Chiang Mai .. before all this 'designated immigration office' silliness. For the last 6 years it has been the Dansingkorn (PKK) office.

Khon Kaen only accepted mine from the day before because I also presented them with an ATM slip which I printed out the morning of the extension showing the same balance as the bank book and letter from the bank.

Did they first reject your 1-day old letter and bank book? If so that sounds really bizarre and in line with the kind of arbitrary reaction reference in my OP.

Was this your first extension? In Khon Kaen? If not, had the same schedule been required on previous renewals?

The bank letter has to be up to date because surely it's certifying a balance of 400k (or whatever) on the day of the extension . That's how it's always been for me. As the amount has to be in the bank for 3 months (or 2 depending) before the extension how can a letter from a month before meet the requirements?

Basically, you just said 2 different things.

I don't want to argue with you. I have been doing this since 1997 and have never even heard the "day of the application" requirement .. before your post.

I went today for my Marriage Extension of Stay.

Very helpful. Very friendly. In fact the Officer came out in his lunch break to sort though my paperwork.

A good day. :)

In light of what MCA has said, how current was your passbook and letter?

I have extended there and a very good service was given,i always turn up smart and clean shaven,it does make a difference to there attitude towards you if they see your presentable.And talk the talk! :)

In light of what MCA has said, how current have your passbook updates and letters been?

I went today for my Marriage Extension of Stay.

Very helpful. Very friendly. In fact the Officer came out in his lunch break to sort though my paperwork.

A good day. :)

In light of what MCA has said, how current was your passbook and letter?

They were dated the same day as applying.

Yes the KK office has only been open a few months.

Klikster. I know you're not arguing. No probs mate.

Basically if you walk into KK with a week old bank book and letter or whatever I'm pretty sure you'll be walking straight out the door again with the instructions to come back another time with up to date stuff. Nong Khai was the same. I'd appreciate if some other posters would confirm this to avoid me sounding like a nutter! The rules are that the money in the bank has to be confirmed by an updated bank book (to show the money has been in for the required amount of time) and letter from the bank confirming the balance. If it's a week old or whatever then it's not up to date. For all immi know you could have gone out on the piss a couple of days previously and blown the lot.

These are the rules. It's not KK being funny or anything. If your previous immi office allowed bank books and letters more than a day or whatever old then that's a stroke of good luck. :)

Not directly related to the theme of this thread but posting here rather than opening a new one.

Just a quickie that maybe of interest to others reporting by post to Khon Kaen.

They have just broken all speed records with the reply of my most recent 90 day report; sent via EMS on Monday midday with the receipt returned to our house out in the wilds on Wednesday morning. It shows IMHO that each step in the EMS chain and at the immigration office was swift. Well done.

FYI. The address I have used since the office opened last year:

Khon Kaen Immigration Office

Provincial Police School

Sub District Number 4

Mittraphap Road

Khon Kaen

EMS postage charge 30 or 33 Baht for each envelope.

Seems like this is going to be a controversial issue re the issue of the "bank letter" and the visit to immigration, have to agree with

klikster on that front.

I've renewed at Korat and Thali in the past and a few days grace has never been a problem.

Surely if your letter comes from a bank not near to Khon Kaen and you back it up with an ATM slip in Khon Kaen which mirrors your book and letter there should not be a problem?

Would be great if the requirement time frame is actually in print somewhere and someone could verify.

But I guess it will be like the other "clouded" issue related to the type of accounts that you are allowed to keep the 800,000 in which will never be answered.

Seems like this is going to be a controversial issue re the issue of the "bank letter" and the visit to immigration, have to agree with

klikster on that front.

I've renewed at Korat and Thali in the past and a few days grace has never been a problem.

Surely if your letter comes from a bank not near to Khon Kaen and you back it up with an ATM slip in Khon Kaen which mirrors your book and letter there should not be a problem?

Would be great if the requirement time frame is actually in print somewhere and someone could verify.

But I guess it will be like the other "clouded" issue related to the type of accounts that you are allowed to keep the 800,000 in which will never be answered.

Actually, I see a lot of supposition coming into this thread .. as well as some individual perceptions of "how thing may work".

There doesn't seem to be any substance to some of these posts. "pretty sure", "whatever", "talk the talk". No answers to a couple of specifically directed questions.

As far as the ATM slip on the account, one of mine has never had an ATM card issued. In the passed I used a fixed deposit book .. they don't have ATM cards either.

I honestly believe that some people here on TV make stuff up to heighten the drama. After 13 consecutive renewals, I ain't a newbie.

Which would make you about 2 renewals behind me if we're getting into an immature "who's not a newbie" pissing contest. and I "ain't" nowhere near retirement age yet unlike yourself.

I posted what happened to me and what I thought would happen at KK. I've posted my experiences about KK immi on a number of threads.

Or maybe Global Moderators are trying to heighten the drama too?

Thaiphoon from the visa section

Is good idea to update bank book on day of visiting immigration, but if not possible suggest obtaining an ATM printout of account that agrees with balance in bank book/bank letter.

Or even the regs from Immi themselves.

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

Why don't you give them a call and check rather than calling me a liar. I don't appreciate it especially since you came on here asking about KK immi and I answered as somebody who's actually used them rather than someone just pissing in the wind. I'm sure somebody who "ain't a newbie" could dig out their telephone number. :)

Edited by mca

Went there wed to do my i year extension,stopped off in Chaiyaphum first to get my letter from the bank and update bank book,as told to do by the boss there when my wife phoned and asked what was required.

Not as lucky as you Lb,got there at 11.15am and had to go off and photcopy bank book :) (getting near to there luchtime) but no worries,had lunch with the wife done the copys,came back at 1pm got me clubs out and gave the concierge (bloke in blue shirt) a few tips on his golf swing on the grass in front of the office.let the wife fill out that other 2page document on personnel matters. All in all not bad. :D

Retirement or Marriage, Keith?

Interested in the 2 page document if retirement, haven't had to do that at Korat or Thali.

Also you mention that your wife phoned in advance.......Was she told that the Bank Letter must be on the exact day of the application?

Edited by fishhooks

Retirement or Marriage, Keith?

Interested in the 2 page document if retirement, haven't had to do that at Korat or Thali.

Also you mention that your wife phoned in advance.......Was she told that the Bank Letter must be on the exact day of the application?

Hi fish, It was for Marriage extension.

My wife was told that the letter had to be on the day of extension,but a little bit of le-way would be given as to where you come from,ie if you had a five or six hour drive as in the case of going to Thali then four days would be ok but no more. I did try to get my bank (Bangkok Bank) to give me a post dated letter so as not to have to go there first and save a bit of time,but they were having none of that. :)

I'll have to apply for extension based on marriage soon too and in Khon Kaen. The place where I opened my bank account was bangkok. Can I get a letter from any bank branch or do I need to get it where I opened my account ?

Thanks

I'll have to apply for extension based on marriage soon too and in Khon Kaen. The place where I opened my bank account was bangkok. Can I get a letter from any bank branch or do I need to get it where I opened my account ?

Thanks

Some banks will, some will not. You will have to ask them.

• 4 weeks later...

All recent experiences have been very good .. I think the office went thru "teething problems",both operational & staff ,now it appears to be functioning normally all credit to "boss lady" Mrs Joseph for sorting it out..

Still amazed at people turning up in swimming shorts (not attractive on an older man :) ) and vests,as said here visa renewal is a serious business,dress accordingly.If you show no respect why should they respect you ? QED.

Thanks MCA for the quote. Point #4 has always confused me..... I originally thought it meant that the 800000B needed to be brought into the country within the 3 months prior to the application date. Reading many posts it seems that everyone believes that the money needs to be here before the 3 months prior.

So .... does this mean the money must come in between Month 1 and month 9 in order to request a retirement visa extension of stay in month 12? That does not make a lot of sense to me but hey ......

If this is true maybe it means that you must have a balance of 800000B prior to the end of the 9th month. For example if you brought in more than the 800000b last year and this year your account balance is well in excess of the 800000b ... maybe you do not need to bring in more money? For sure this is not clearly worded.

On another subject. In my talks with immigration they have said that the bank letter needs to be on the same day as the application. This was a problem for me because I had a 6 hour bus ride to Tak to visit immigration. My solution was a friendly smile to the bank official in my home town and she post dated the letter. Hmmmm .....

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

Thanks MCA for the quote. Point #4 has always confused me..... I originally thought it meant that the 800000B needed to be brought into the country within the 3 months prior to the application date. Reading many posts it seems that everyone believes that the money needs to be here before the 3 months prior.

So .... does this mean the money must come in between Month 1 and month 9 in order to request a retirement visa extension of stay in month 12? That does not make a lot of sense to me but hey ......

If this is true maybe it means that you must have a balance of 800000B prior to the end of the 9th month. For example if you brought in more than the 800000b last year and this year your account balance is well in excess of the 800000b ... maybe you do not need to bring in more money? For sure this is not clearly worded.

Basically here's how it goes.

My extension this year is on 19th October 2010. I have to have a minimum of 400000 baht (marriage extension) in a Thai bank account in my name for at least 3 months prior to the extension so the money has to be in the bank at least by the 19th July 2010. The money can't dip below 400000 baht from 19th July-19th October.

Now after your extension is granted you can spend all that money in one day on a massive party if you like so long as you have a minimum of 400000 baht in the bank for three months prior to next year's extension.

If your account balance is well over the minimum requirements (like of you have 2 million baht in your Thai bank account) then there's nothing to worry about. They only want to see at least 800000 baht in your case.

The only time to be concerned is if you have less than the requirements (say for example in my case if I only had 200000 baht in my Thai bank account at the beginning of July) and getting the 200000 baht "top up" money to make the required 400000 baht transferred in time before the 19th July.

• 2 weeks later...

I may have stated this in another forum section..................but, there was no problem whatsoever in the "Bank Letter" being a day or two old if you need to travel from another area to Khon Kaen for a marriage or retirement extension.

I had my wife telephone them from Chaiyaphum a few weeks back, we got the letter one day and fronted for the extension the following day.

The only problem experienced was where the officer doing the procedure could not understand how bank books work when a new book supersedes an old (full) one.

She kept 'nicely' arguing the point that the new book should have as it's first entry a duplicate date and transaction entry as the last in the old original book......Quite impossible as far as the bank's IT ledger system works.

Sanity prevailed, but I point this out in the hope that others don't face the same rather silly situation. The lady seemed quite experienced and I was rather surprised and frustrated that we needed to argue the point for what seemed the longest issue of the extension.

Just returned from KK Immigration for my first attempt at a 1 year marriage extension. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. When I first arrived I was met by a young lady in fromt of the office. She asked what we needed and then proceded to fill out my application form for me. Waited about 10 min. then my number was called. Gave all my paper work to the officer who looked it over carefully. He first told me that me income letter from the embassy was too old. I explained to him that my local amphoe had taken over 2 months to regester our marriage ( we were married in the U S). So he told me try to get a more current one next time. Next he told me that I needed a copy of my house book which I had forgotten to get. No problem he went into the back and made a copy for me. 10 min later all finished and on my way home with my new extension. Everyone there very helpful and professional, couldn'thave been easier.

Only glitch to this was I went for an extension based on marriage but when I got home and looked at my passport it was stamped "retirement" don't think that should be a problem though.

No, that is no problem. It is easier for both you and immigraiton because of all the paperwork involved to get an extension based on retirement than it is to get based on marriage. Marriage requires a lot of checks. That is why they prefer to do it on retirement if you qualify for that.

You can always change to reason of marriage, just tell them that and insist on it.