Phuket Plastic Bag Plan Hits Snag

webfact

Phuket plastic bag plan hits snag

phuket-Some-of-the-many-local-students-who-attended-the-three-day-event-1-TpedPFq.jpg

Some of the many local students who attended the three-day event.

phuket-Energy-Minister-Wannarat-Channukul-poses-for-a-group-photo-with-other-dignitaries-at-the-launch-on-Sunday-4-XWMuSmZ.jpg

Energy Minister Wannarat Channukul (grey suit) poses for a group photo with other dignitaries at the launch on Sunday.

PHUKET TOWN: -- The 'Phuket No Shopping Bag' project was officially launched on Sunday, but a controversial plan by island retailers to begin charging for plastic bags is apparently on hold.

The launch ceremony, which included the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), was held at 4:30pm at Central Festival Phuket.

The ceremony was presided over by Energy Minister Wannarat Channukul. Also attending were a number of high-ranking Energy Ministry officials and local politicians including senators Thanyarat Achariyachai and Phummisak Hongsyok, Phuket MP Rewat Areerob, Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop and Phuket Energy Office Director Jirasuk Tummawetch.

About 1,000 people also turned up for the event, which was the highlight of a three-day public awareness campaign aimed at reducing the use of plastic bags and promoting other 'green' initiatives, such as recycling and the development of renewable energy technologies.

Many government and private sector organizations had exhibits, which included displays of artificial flowers and other items made from recycled goods. There were also a wide variety of reusable cloth bags for sale.

Plans to create a financial incentive for people to use reusable shopping bags has apparently hit a snag, however.

Although 24 major retailers on the island signed an MoU agreeing to charge one or two baht for plastic bags, the Valentine's Day launch date has been postponed indefinitely while project organizers continue to lobby three major holdouts to go along with the plan: Tesco-Lotus, 7-Eleven and Carrefour.

Energy office director Mr Jirasuk said representatives of all three are expected to meet with the Phuket governor soon to discuss their possible involvement.

A well-informed source told the Gazette that Carrefour is willing to sign the MoU, but only if Tesco-Lotus does so as well.

A spokesman from CP ALL, which operates all 7-Eleven outlets in Thailand, earlier told the Gazette that it would not charge for plastic bags because it already has a policy of using sunlight-degradable plastic bags at all of its shops in Phuket and other tourist destinations in the region.

Despite this, many 7-Eleven outlets in Phuket not run directly by CP ALL, but through its franchisees, continue to distribute regular plastic bags in large numbers and free-of-charge.

Some retailers are taking their own approaches to encourage the use of reusable bags.

For example, for every purchase over 300 baht at the B2S Bookstore at Central Festival Phuket, if the customer takes the products home using their own bags the store will donate three baht to the United Nations Children's Fund, better known as UNICEF.

Central has also agreed to donate the proceeds from the sale of plastic bags to environmental protection projects.

Have you been getting charged for plastic bags? If so, be a citizen reporter by sending an email to editor(at)phuketgazette.net

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-02-16

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Charge one or two baht for plastic bag won't work in Thailand. Thai's rather go buy stuff somewhere else where they get the plastic bag free.

I think that is the point they are making by postponing the launch date until Thais on the island don't have anywhere to go for free plastic bags. I'm sure it will also open up a wave of street vendors outside these stores selling cloth bags. But if merchants were smart they would give away reusable cloth bags for large purchases with their store name being advertised promptly. I'm sure you would see the bags showing up everywhere as people lug goods around ... it would also put a dent in those stores not wanting to cooperate not just by advertising but because many Thais do have a sense of caring for the environment ... especially if a free reusable cloth is involved.

Charge one or two baht for plastic bag won't work in Thailand. Thai's rather go buy stuff somewhere else where they get the plastic bag free.

I think that is the point they are making by postponing the launch date until Thais on the island don't have anywhere to go for free plastic bags. I'm sure it will also open up a wave of street vendors outside these stores selling cloth bags. But if merchants were smart they would give away reusable cloth bags for large purchases with their store name being advertised promptly. I'm sure you would see the bags showing up everywhere as people lug goods around ... it would also put a dent in those stores not wanting to cooperate not just by advertising but because many Thais do have a sense of caring for the environment ... especially if a free reusable cloth is involved.

You would need to prevent Thai customers taking a free cloth bag every visit and selling them to gullible tourists..

of course if they started charging me for bags, but continued to use double ply (i.e. one bag inside another) and only put one or two items in each bag I believe a lot of folks would get pretty angry...

You would be hearing cries of "they used and charged me for 10 bags, when everything could have fit in two bags..."

Not to mention the inevitable delays in the lines where people will be yelling at the person working at the register, "absolutely NOT !!! you need to unpack and repack those goods into two bags and deduct the charges for the additional bags that I do not want or need!"

Edited by CWMcMurray

I Just have to comment

"A spokesman from CP ALL, which operates all 7-Eleven outlets 'snip' has a policy of using sunlight-degradable plastic bags at all of its shops in Phuket and other tourist destinations in the region"

GREAT - another reason to Litter , They do not decompose when buried and smell great when BURNT.

IMHO - Paying these people for Bags is not an option, have you ever seen how many bags they can use for 10 Items ?? SELF REGULATION ??

:)

Buyers could be given the Option of Bagging their own Purchases ??? HMM ??? , Buy Bags at Check Out Time.. BUT I can already see getting some Tiny Bag 1 Baht ?? You know the scam... :D What would work and not be manipulated ??

I hope they work something out that will work , but then again , TIT. :D:D:D

No excuse for Lotus Tesco...........

I have some super re-usable bags from Tesco in the UK, all purchased at under 50 baht a time.

The best one is a Bottle Bag divided to hold 6 bottles upright.

No excuse for Lotus Tesco...........

I have some super re-usable bags from Tesco in the UK, all purchased at under 50 baht a time.

The best one is a Bottle Bag divided to hold 6 bottles upright.

You cannot compare Thailand with the UK, wake up to reality, do you know what 50 baht relates to here in Thailand? you are looking at 1 quid for a poxy plastic bag. Wake up, travel and see some of the world.

Kudos for the effort.

Come on Tesco, don't let the side down....

7 - 11 staff can be trained.

Training someone in Thailand is more difficult that trying to train a cat "so who are you trying to kid" :D

In most cases the cat is more intelligent. :)

Edited by salty