What Does Pizza Company Use For Cheese?

steffi

This is because the forum is frequented by a number of Americans, that is why the wheelchair hero (aka Ulysses G) and others peddle half truths in the safety of comfort zone.

This is a lighthearted topic, yet you have made repeated, uncalled for attacks concerning the disabled as well as other members who disagree with your views. Why would you go out of your way to disparage people who need wheelchairs? Some good people who need wheelchairs to get around post on this very forum. Why don't you concentrate on raving about how wonderful dried out matzos with tomato sauce are and keep the nasty, bigoted remarks to yourself?

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer to your being all alone in your quest to proclaim Italian ketchup-on-crackers-pizza as superior is not due to there being 'a number of Americans' on this forum. There are posters from all over the world here and we disagree all of the time. But, as you have observed, there is one thing that not only the Americans posting here, but all of the others (excluding you of course) clearly agree upon. Italian ketchup-on-crackers-pizza cannot compare to American pizza. Others, whose posts you chose to ignore, have had the nightmare experience of tasting ketchup-on-crackers Italian pizza (as have I) in Italy. We all agree (except you of course). It sucks! And, as I figured, you have not tasted Chicago deep dish pizza, but you talk about it as if you have. What a joke. Why don't you go troll somewhere else. Insulting UG (who is not in a wheelchair by the way) about his taste in food in your solitary mania about ketchup-on-crackers Italian pizza, has provided a limited amount of amusement. But your time has past and you have become boring.

There a number of people in this thread saying the obvious that Italian pizza is the best, not just only because it's the original. Some others had no preference and two blowhard trolls (you and UG) went overboard with disparaging remarks. That is the fact everybody can see here. Let remind everybody again how you formed your opinion on Italian pizza:

Italian pizza (made in Italy) is made on extremely thin crust and, IMO, tasteless. America is where the consumable pizza was invented. My opinion is not based solely upon the pizzas that I have enjoyed in Thailand (mostly American in style), but based upon what I have enjoyed in America and in Thailand

so there we have it, another incompetent that has never eaten Italian pizza, only experienced Thai & American pizza and that was enough for you to judge it. Pathetic is the word that springs to mind, there are some others but they are unprintable. Carrying on, you keep banging on on the thinness of Italian crust pizza, yes I love it but as explained to you in previous posts, there are variation of crusts even in Italy, nothing so gross and disgusting as American pie, depending on the region. There are even pizza like focaccia designed for all sort of use as a standalone snack or even white pizza thick focaccia (coarse sea salt and drizzle of x virgin olive oil on top) that can be sliced in half and filled with, say, figs and prosciutto. That's a flavoursome snack accompanied by a glass of chilled Frascati wine. Obviously you haven't got the faintest idea of all this, and yet you feel entitled to diss Italian pizza even if by your admission never tried. Can you see how much ridicule you attract upon you? Interesting that after repeated requests, you haven't elaborated on Gino East Deep pan turd, nor discussed pizza making (be it Italian, American or whatever) at all. All you've done so far is to repeat the same mantra: American pizza good, Italian pizza bad. I went into details about pizza making, the industry serving the restaurant, discussed the Italian, Australian, Thai & American scene where I have been and eaten (not just pizza), and yet you haven't picked up on any of it. Why? because you know <deleted> all about pizza and foodservice in general, your posts show a total disrespect for other people views (see how you silenced another poster for dissenting with you, calling him foolish), you jumped in this thread, high tackle both feet from the word go. Perhaps you expected a clean and easy job in silencing Italian pizza lovers into submission, but things didn't worked out they way you thought they would, did they? So where do you go from here? your reputation in tatters and tail between legs. I suspect that part of your obnoxious posting is due primarily to senility and inability to read well. If there was a braille computer out there I'll point out to you, in the meantime you may go back under the stone you crawled from

This is a lighthearted topic, yet you have made repeated, uncalled for attacks concerning the disabled as well as other members who disagree with your views. Why would you go out of your way to disparage people who need wheelchairs? Some good people who need wheelchairs to get around post on this very forum. Why don't you concentrate on raving about how wonderful dried out matzos with tomato sauce are and keep the nasty, bigoted remarks to yourself?

This is also a topic that should be informative, have some substance into it. Explain, detail and discuss pizza making, the technique behind it and variation on theme. You have shown us that you know nothing at all about pizza, I challenged you to explain why you thought your American pie should be called pizza and why it was superior than the original and only pizza. No answer from you, just abuse and ridiculous claims. How seriously can you be taken? Your disparaging remarks about Italian pizza and Italy by default is well known and documented and go back for long time in this forum. So it's quite rich now you playing pc card, given that you don't give a toss about other people opinion:

I could care less about your opinions, but I highly suspect your honesty.

that was a charming retort to another member's post. I think your honesty is very much in the spotlight here, tell us of your deep emotional trauma of Italian pizza and Italy. What they did do to you in Thailand? Were you refused a refund at an Italian restaurant when you complained that your denture got detached from the gums whilst eating pizza? :)

American Pie by Alan Richman

Who makes the best pizza on earth? That is the eternal question, the one that must be answered. Because: Round or square, flat or stuffed, thick crust or thin, slathered in pork products or simply covered in cheese, pizza just might be the most perfect food ever invented. Which is why Alan Richman traveled more than 20,000 miles across the U.S.A.—the country that makes it best—in a search for the 25 best pizzas you'll ever eat

Pizza isn't as fundamental to Italy as it is to America. Over there, it plays a secondary role to pasta, risotto, and polenta. To be candid, I think they could do without it. Not us. Over here, it's one of the few foreign foods we've embraced wholeheartedly, made entirely our own.

The simple truth is that pizza in its most primal form—cheese, tomato, crust—is perfect food. It's good for vegetarians, even though it contains no vegetables. It's good for us meat eaters, chiefly because we don't care much for vegetables but also because pizza is one of the few foods where the absence of meat isn't missed. (Although, when I think about it, a little sausage never hurts, especially if it's crumbled up rather than sliced.)

It's the absolute best food for sharing (unless you're in love, in which case we're talking about an ice cream cone). It's the healthiest of treats; the strictest mother wouldn't argue that pizza is bad for kids. It's the most versatile delivery food, because it reheats much better than Chinese, and if you accidentally burn it, pizza is still good. Most important, at least to me: Pizza gives pepperoni a reason to exist.

A word here about Naples, the home of Italian pizza. That's supposedly where the pie reaches its pinnacle, in a distinct and idiosyncratic style that some American pizzamakers—let's resist calling them pizzaioli, as the Italians do—are trying to emulate. They're going for hotter ovens, puffier crusts, and weepy buffalo-milk mozzarella on top. I'm not impressed. Not by the genuine pies in Naples, and usually less by American imitations, although the mission has a certain nobility of purpose.

I've eaten in Naples. From the ancient, brutally hot ovens emerge pies that most Americans wouldn't recognize. The crust is charred and puffy in spots but tragically thin and pale beneath the toppings. The sauce is chiefly chopped tomatoes, sometimes fresh and sometimes canned, but almost always vivid and bright. (Those San Marzano tomatoes are as good as advertised.) The cheese is mozzarella, but the Italians are proudest when they can substitute fresh mozzarella from the milk of buffaloes and label their pies Margherita DOC. (It sounds like a wine thing, but it's also a pizza thing.) In my opinion, buffalo mozzarella is pizza's second-worst topping, exceeded only by whole anchovies—no hot, smelly fish on my pies, thank you. After that, those pizzaioli guys add oil, lots of it, and more liquid is precisely what tomato pies do not need.

This is what happens when a Neapolitan pie comes out of the oven, after it's been cooked a remarkably short time: The nearly liquefied glob of buffalo mozzarella—now resembling a snowman melting on a warm March afternoon—has become runny. Water drains from the tomatoes. Oil joins the flood. All that excess liquid has to go somewhere, which is why the bottom crust turns to mush, not that it was ever particularly crispy.

This is why Italians need a knife and fork. This is why our pizzas are better than theirs.

THE TRUTH

Edited by Ulysses G.

buffalo mozzarella is pizza's second-worst topping
whole anchovies—no hot, smelly fish on my pies, thank you
The nearly liquefied glob of buffalo mozzarella—now resembling a snowman melting on a warm March afternoon
This is why Italians need a knife and fork. This is why our pizzas are better than theirs

This men is an USA-centric, snob, so-called-food-critic

And me, stupid still answering a clear troll thread.

this thread is still going? oh gosh! guys, honestly, once you told them in a very clear and understandable manner the obvious reasons how things are, why do you keep arguing with someone that tell you the "marshmallows" are the best food on the planet?! just leave them with it....you did well but i don't think you are going to change what is way too deteriorated at this stage to make any sort of progress, waste of times and sanity :D

I am happy everyone has found something they like to eat, enjoy your meals all :)

I don't really believe this best pizza in the world bs. There is no such thing, obviously. Its a matter of taste, experience, etc. I was joking a bit about the real Chicago places in Chicago. Yes, when I lived there, I loved them a lot. For some reason that style does not export well and never had a really great Chicago deep dish style outside of Chicago. I have also had wonderful pizzas in different styles in many other places. San Francisco has some great pizza places, some California style, some with their own style unique to the pizzeria. There is also really great US east coast pizza. Also great pizza in Argentina, they have their own style, its a bit weird, but good. And yes I have had lovely pizza as well in Italy. In Thailand, I have had decent pizza, but nothing that rates to the best I have had in other countries.

Who makes the best pizza on earth?

Pizza isn't as fundamental to Italy as it is to America. Over there, it plays a secondary role to pasta, risotto, and polenta. To be candid, I think they could do without it. Not us. Over here, it's one of the few foreign foods we've embraced wholeheartedly, made entirely our own.

The simple truth is that pizza in its most primal form—cheese, tomato, crust—is perfect food. It's good for vegetarians, even though it contains no vegetables. It's good for us meat eaters, chiefly because we don't care much for vegetables but also because pizza is one of the few foods where the absence of meat isn't missed. (Although, when I think about it, a little sausage never hurts, especially if it's crumbled up rather than sliced.)

It's the absolute best food for sharing (unless you're in love, in which case we're talking about an ice cream cone). It's the healthiest of treats; the strictest mother wouldn't argue that pizza is bad for kids. It's the most versatile delivery food, because it reheats much better than Chinese, and if you accidentally burn it, pizza is still good. Most important, at least to me: Pizza gives pepperoni a reason to exist.

A word here about Naples, the home of Italian pizza. That's supposedly where the pie reaches its pinnacle, in a distinct and idiosyncratic style that some American pizzamakers—let's resist calling them pizzaioli, as the Italians do—are trying to emulate. They're going for hotter ovens, puffier crusts, and weepy buffalo-milk mozzarella on top. I'm not impressed. Not by the genuine pies in Naples, and usually less by American imitations, although the mission has a certain nobility of purpose.

I've eaten in Naples.

(quote)

You've been unlucky U.G.,when Billy Clinton came to Napoli he didn't need fork and knife,not even a plate,he just folded it twice and devoured it.

Maybe surprising to you,after that his white shirt was still white!

At a younger age i went to Napoli on a mission too,i admit the pizza i ate was not the best in my life.

One of the best was in Austria,and the guy who made it was Austrian,so as JT says,you can find good pizza everywhere,in different fashions,even in Thailand.It just depends on the skill of the chef.

But,the Italians do it better :)

Edited by mauGR1

I don't understand why so many like deep pan? It's obviously a smart marketing move to save on topping and get people to eat dough instead. I like New York style pizza and also Italian. Both are good. Agree that Italian pizza is meant more as an appetizer or snack than a full meal, maybe that's were some go wrong. Not much good pizza in Bangkok I think, with Pizza Company the worst by far.

[/b]Pizza isn't as fundamental to Italy as it is to America. Over there, it plays a secondary role to pasta, risotto, and polenta. To be candid, I think they could do without it. Not us. Over here, it's one of the few foreign foods we've embraced wholeheartedly, made entirely our own.

I stopped reading past this point, it's an obvious hack job. Total nonsense. I mean coming out saying something like this, not only shows total ignorance Italian cuisine, but also the variance of food importance in Italy depending on the regions. The rest is just stereotype, "the strictest mother wouldn't argue that pizza is bad for kids", it's so laughable. Interesting that he refers to American offering as pie, which what it is. Let's not forget that pizza was introduced to America by Italian immigrants, or expats as they're called nowadays. It's not that we are discussing something original or invented in America. Over the decades it morphed into something gross and disgusting, totally unrecognisable from the original form.

But let's not divert, let's stick with the job in hand, exposing Ulysses G ignorance and bias. Can you actually come up with a content of your own? All you do parroting the line, you've been told by friends or cut & paste articles scoured online, without a single comment of your own. I have challenged you several times to comment on Gino East pizza, ingredients and pizza technique as posted previously. Not a single word! I have discussed about pizza making. Not a single comment! I commented on the restaurant scene in all those countries you claim to be knowledgeable (plus Italy, which you can't even pinpoint on a map). Not a single remark. You past beyond the joke pal. I told you, tell us of your deep emotional trauma, surely you can get help here.

Sarge, do like me, stop write post in this thread hijacked by few trolling-seven-11-pizza slice-lovers.

The truth is so evident...

why? it's all good fun, I'm enjoying it :D just take a look at that Ulysses G's latest posts, the geezer is in confusional state :)

“Liars share with those they deceive the desire not to be deceived.”

Sissela Bok

I stopped reading past this point

Well that is a big suprise. You are rather busy writing uninformed, nonsensical posts. You wouldn't want to actually learn something. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'm Italian and I've lived in North America, Europe and Asia now so without coming across as a bragger, I do have a good experience with tasting pizza and so forth. But there is a enormous difference between the pizza served in Italy (Which is baked in the fire), and the pizza served in places like Dominos, Pizza Company and Pizza Hut. Firstly, the original pizza should be thin and you should be able to taste the tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Pizza originally is meant to be a rather healthy choice, however, many major companies such as Pizza Hut/Company have decided to serve oily and unhealthy choices such as "EXTREME PIZZA" which has a crust filled with sausages and crappy cheese! Now that's not pizza, and I know it's delicious and you're free to decide what you want but that is not a original pizza. The pizza served in the US is certainly different, and I'm not going to deny that it is rather tasty! But personally I think some people need to try the original Italian pizza first, before calling it "a cracker with ketchup on top".

And sorry but

"Pizza isn't as fundamental to Italy as it is to America. Over there, it plays a secondary role to pasta, risotto, and polenta. To be candid, I think they could do without it. Not us. Over here, it's one of the few foreign foods we've embraced wholeheartedly, made entirely our own."

This quote is ridiculous, in Italy i guarantee you will find a PIZZERIA everywhere and people adore it! It is just as fundamental as our Pasta, Risotto (and probably not polenta).

Moreover, for the ones who live in BANGKOK who would like to taste pizza MOST similar to the ones served in Italy, then you should try the following: ( Scoozi, Pizza Patio, Bella Napoli- sukhumvit soi 35 I think) These few do a decent job, I'm sure there are more but I stick with the above.

If any of you want any Italian restaurant suggestions in Bangkok, send me a PM because I eat out in Italian restaurants on a weekly basis, and I've lived in Italy so I can share some great restaurants!

Edited by Matt1288

I don't understand why so many like deep pan? It's obviously a smart marketing move to save on topping and get people to eat dough instead. I like New York style pizza and also Italian. Both are good. Agree that Italian pizza is meant more as an appetizer or snack than a full meal, maybe that's were some go wrong. Not much good pizza in Bangkok I think, with Pizza Company the worst by far.

That's hilarious and wrong. A real Chicago deep dish has a refrigerator worth of ingredients in there. Maybe the cheap imitation places you are taking about, not the real places.

I'm Italian and I've lived in North America, Europe and Asia now so without coming across as a bragger, I do have a good experience with tasting pizza and so forth. But there is a enormous difference between the pizza served in Italy (Which is baked in the fire), and the pizza served in places like Dominos, Pizza Company and Pizza Hut.

No one has suggested that the chain pizzas are more than quick meals for people in a hurry. Mostly, only children and folks who are on the run eat them in the U.S. However,there are lots of privately owned pizza parlors that make everything from scratch and are absolutely wonderful. Those are the real American pizzas.

0008-0802-2519-3838.jpg

That's hilarious and wrong. A real Chicago deep dish has a refrigerator worth of ingredients in there. Maybe the cheap imitation places you are taking about, not the real places.

Interesting. The best pizza I've ever had in Southeast Asia was in Hanoi and the owner of the shop was an Italian, Italian, but he made great American style pizzas. I asked him why he did not make Italian ones and he told me that he did not really like them and neither did most customers. He also said that the reason that so many places sell Italian style ones here is that they can save a lot of money on ingredients and toppings, because the crust is so thin.

True story, jing jing! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Interesting. The best pizza I've ever had in Southeast Asia was in Hanoi and the owner of the shop was an Italian, Italian, but he made great American style pizzas. I asked him why he did not make Italian ones and he told me that he did not really like them and neither did most customers. He also said that the reason that so many places sell Italian style ones here is that they can save a lot of money on ingredients and toppings, because the crust is so thin.

True story, jing jing! :)

Where in Hanoi and what's the name of the restaurant?

I lived in Hanoi 10 years ago for a while and it was right near the bottom of Hoan Kiem Lake on the same side as the Saint Joseph Catherdral - the only Italian restaurant in the area. There was an icecream parlor and a French Cafe close by, but I don't remember the names of any of them. I understand that much has changed since then.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Well that is a big suprise. You are rather busy writing uninformed, nonsensical posts. You wouldn't want to actually learn something. :)

there you are, you have been disproved again, see below post. Living in a country where face is a big thing, how can you go around this forum with a label "village idiot" hanging your neck? Your hack job backfired badly, try harder again old git

"Pizza isn't as fundamental to Italy as it is to America. Over there, it plays a secondary role to pasta, risotto, and polenta. To be candid, I think they could do without it. Not us. Over here, it's one of the few foreign foods we've embraced wholeheartedly, made entirely our own."

This quote is ridiculous, in Italy i guarantee you will find a PIZZERIA everywhere and people adore it! It is just as fundamental as our Pasta, Risotto (and probably not polenta).

Where in Hanoi and what's the name of the restaurant?
I lived in Hanoi 10 years ago for a while and it was right near the bottom of Hoan Kiem Lake on the same side as the Saint Joseph Catherdral - the only Italian restaurant in the area. There was an icecream parlor and a French Cafe close by, but I don't remember the names of any of them. I understand that much has changed since then.

weaselling your way out again? Of course you can't name the restaurant, you've made the story up