Thailand To Extradite Briton To Dubai In Fraud Case

george

Thailand to extradite Briton to UAE in fraud case

BANGKOK: -- (AFP) - A court in Thailand agreed Thursday to extradite a Briton to the United Arab Emirates on charges of embezzling 150 million dollars from a Dubai company.

Michael Bryan Smith, 43, was arrested in Bangkok's red light district in May last year after spending eight months on the run.

"The court has decided to extradite him to the UAE," a judge at Bangkok criminal court said.

"Even though Thailand and the UAE do not have an extradition treaty, the UAE has expressed the willingness to do favours if Thailand asks in future."

Smith allegedly siphoned off other workers' salaries into his own bank account while working as a personnel manager at a Dubai property company, Thai police said in May, citing the warrant from the UAE.

Police said Smith, who is married to a Thai woman, had travelled extensively through Vietnam, Hong Kong, the Philippines and Thailand after fleeing Dubai in 2008.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-02-18

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he could stitch them for 140 maybe he could have taken a couple only without them noticing, still would have lived the good life.

hile I do not know the guy, or the details of the case, something just doesn't ring true here. Unless the company concerned lacked even the most basic financial controls (a possibility I know - it is an Arab company), cash movements cannot take place (even salaries) without a series of checks and counter-signatures. And how did the money exit? In cash? Unlikely. That means that it would have to be paid into bank accounts in the names of the "workers" - and opening a bank account in the UAE requires documentation including passport, residence visa and work permit etc. Although the money certainly went walkabout, I am wondering whether it is just possible that he is being set up as the fall guy for someone rather more senior (and professional).

Did anyone read HOW he got caught? I'm a big fan of "catch me if you can" and other tales of escapism. Although this one has perfected the art of "caughtism". The fact he had a Thai wife may have been his achilles heel. And by that I mean his steps were more predictable.

If he could stitch them for 140 maybe he could have taken a couple only without them noticing, still would have lived the good life.

hile I do not know the guy, or the details of the case, something just doesn't ring true here. Unless the company concerned lacked even the most basic financial controls (a possibility I know - it is an Arab company), cash movements cannot take place (even salaries) without a series of checks and counter-signatures. And how did the money exit? In cash? Unlikely. That means that it would have to be paid into bank accounts in the names of the "workers" - and opening a bank account in the UAE requires documentation including passport, residence visa and work permit etc. Although the money certainly went walkabout, I am wondering whether it is just possible that he is being set up as the fall guy for someone rather more senior (and professional).

He seems to have enough money to travel extensively and to spend a lot of time in the Red light district in Bangkok. From my information. "they're only doing calls for cash....Money for nothing and your chicks (not) for free." Dire Straits

Having seen the way way that Emirati's and their absolute travesty of a justice system works, I am willing to believe that this guy is totally innocent.

How could a Personnel Manager divert money from peoples salaries. 150 million is a huge scary figure to convince the Thai authorities that he is a major criminal, and I'll bet that the Company in question never turned over anything like that kind of money.

I sincerely hope that they allow an appeal against the extradition and carefully review the facts of this case before they side with a bunch of habitual liars and arse coverers.

he didn't say he didn't do it but that UAE has no evidence supplied.

I think when there is no treaty then just don't do it, a kind of logic. there must be a reason of why there's no treaty. And to hold him until eventually one will be made is not right. They should send him to the UK, as a unwanted person here, as the UK did forbid Thaksin to enter as an unwanted person, and let them deal with this issue. I'm confident that the UK will do the right thing.

Don't dream that they will trade for Thaksin, there is to much of a Caliphate's policy involved and they wouldn't give up that high card up their sleeves.

And also, is there any evidence except an allegation? I suspect something else to be involved.

I just doubt that the justice system over there is just. The raped woman sentenced comes to mind as an example.

If Thailand bows to the laws of UAE then it will be just closer to Sharia than ever before.

I personally think it's not the final yet and that there's still a chance to just expel him from the country and to work with a civilized justice system, like in the UK.

Bangkok has a red light district! It must be staffed and run by naughty foreigners as we know that Thais would never have anything to do with anything naughty, disrespectful and against the law like this!

i did not know we had a red light district in bangkok (where is it )

At almost every intersection, but the rules almost never followed :)

He seems to have enough money to travel extensively and to spend a lot of time in the Red light district in Bangkok. From my information. "they're only doing calls for cash....Money for nothing and your chicks (not) for free." Dire Straits

If he had really stolen (if he is a thief at all that is) as much as $150mn then what would he be doing hanging around Nana? $150k maybe but if I had made off with real money like that I would be a lot further away, and would have spent some of the cash on a nice Honduras passport and a serious bit of plastic surgery.

So it appears that extraditions with UAE only work in one direction. It seems that there is a convicted felon who spends much of his time in Dubai that is wanted in Thailand. :)

Now there is a thought!! But can the Thai Government handle his physical presence in Thailand?

Court extradites British businessman to face fraud charges in Dubai

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court Thursday ordered an extradition of a British businessman to face charges of cheating a Dubai-based firm out of US$150 million.

The court approved the public prosecutor's request to extradite Brayan or Smith Michael Bryan Smith, 43, to the United Arab Emirates.

Smith is wanted on an arrest warrant issued by the UAE Office of the Attorney General on August 25 2008 for having allegedly cheated the Limitless Co out of US$150 million while working as the human resource manager for the firm.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-18

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Bet he had a blast before getting caught!!

And as someone else said, wonder why he didn't just buy his way out?

Reading the background threads, it started as $600,000 pilfered in a 5 month period but now has appreciated to $150 million?? And all from other employees salaries? Get me a job there!

I can see why Dubai wants this guy back if he can turn over that sort of profit, he's a genius!!

Bloody %$ll, Briton probably would like to get ahold of this consultant too!

So it appears that extraditions with UAE only work in one direction. It seems that there is a convicted felon who spends much of his time in Dubai that is wanted in Thailand. :)

No it is not one direction. But what your statement implies is that a political prosecution equals that of a criminal prosecution. why do you think Thaksin is not arrested anywhere? Maybe because there is no international arrest warrant after all? Or are you one of those naif people who truly believe that it is more than a show hat suthep and his bellboy abhisit put up? Do you really believe that Thailand wants Thaksin back? It would make 1977 and 1992 look like a kindergarten exercise when that happens.

First they try to swindle Thaksin out of his money and soon they will learn that the red short movement which seem to have a vast majority in 36 provinces already will not run out of steam because for many many rural people it is not at all about Thaksin.

No it is not one direction. But what your statement implies is that a political prosecution equals that of a criminal prosecution. why do you think Thaksin is not arrested anywhere? Maybe because there is no international arrest warrant after all? Or are you one of those naif people who truly believe that it is more than a show hat suthep and his bellboy abhisit put up? Do you really believe that Thailand wants Thaksin back? It would make 1977 and 1992 look like a kindergarten exercise when that happens.

First they try to swindle Thaksin out of his money and soon they will learn that the red short movement which seem to have a vast majority in 36 provinces already will not run out of steam because for many many rural people it is not at all about Thaksin.

Thaksin was nicely complemented out of the country just one week before the verdict to go and see the openings in Beijing, lol.

Wonder how much "commission" Thailand will earn off this one?

Well, they do say if you are going to do it then do it big. I can't help agreeing with others though. 5 Billion baht would get you a lot of the right friends in Thailand. If he were staying here with that sort of cash he should have had his police chief and Governor the proud owners of some serious apartment in BKK. I would definitely have done some research as to which countries have a crap relationship with the UAE and I would be living the life of luxury there. Oh well, if he does go back to the UAE he will be found guilty whatever the real facts are.