Deusex Invisible War

Jockstar

Today i went to Zest games in Fortune Town where i can buy original games. After browsing and thinking about Brothers in Arms. I came accross ths game DeuxEx Invisble War. Thought i'd give it a go. So got home and done some things around the room. Finally have just sat down and decided to load this game up. So insert the disk nothing happens then windows kicksa in and shows me whats on the disc. One Zip file. So far so good. So i try to unZip the file. Then its gives me this message...

WinZio cannot open D:\data3.cab because its not in the standard Microsoft CAB format (as defined in mid 1998). The "signature bytes" required by the Microsoft CaB specification are missing.

Bare in mind this is an ORIGINAL game and not a copy. So any ideas guys. I dont know what to do except take the game back tomorrow and see if they will swap the game for something else. Was looking forward to playing this. :o

Jockstar

If the disc only holds the one file "data3.cab" then it will not play.

What you have is probably one of three things.

1. A corrupt disc

2. A disc provided by the company to fix problems with the original data3.cab

3. An upgrade to the original game providing additional scenarios

The original game disc will have at a minimum files labelled "data1.cab" and "data2.cab" (data1.cab will have the signature bytes on). Additionally it will probably hold .exe, .dat, .dll files etc

Hope this helps

Jockstar - Not being a gamer myself, I'm not familar with this release.

However, the message Windows is giving you may indicate that the disk you have is for another system (the game was also released for MAC, XBox, and others systems). Check both the packaging and the disk itself to confirm it is the PC version.

You also state the disk has 1 zipped file. What is the file's extension, .zip, .rar, .ace, .cab, .........?

Some software (games and programs) are designed to run within a "mother" shell. One such example being Microsoft's Flight Simulator. Does your disk or any accompanying literature state or hint as such a requirement?

Probably your best bet is to return to the store where you bought it, and have them check it for you.

good luck :o

Ok. Thanks for any help that you gave. Found out what the problem was. Really simple but the manufacturers fault. One disc was marked INSTALL the other GAME. So obviously i use the INSTALL disk. Would you not? I thought ###### it. I'll try other disc as another last resort. None of these discs were marked Disc 1 or Disc 2 just what i stated before. So tried the GAME disc. And it worked. Doh! Maybe the discs were marked wrong? I dont know? But its working now.

Ok. Thanks for any help that you gave. Found out what the problem was. Really simple but the manufacturers fault. One disc was marked INSTALL the other GAME. So obviously i use the INSTALL disk. Would you not? I thought ###### it. I'll try other disc as another last resort. None of these discs were marked Disc 1 or Disc 2 just what i stated before. So tried the GAME disc. And it worked. Doh! Maybe the discs were marked wrong? I dont know? But its working now.

thats funny - the non-original copy of this available everywhere suffers the same problem! i guess now we know where the copy of DEIW originated from... and it's a good game, btw.

neph