Current State Of The Night Life In Thailand

Nostalgia is an easy and often pleasant emotion, yet let it dominate the present and we will never be happy.

Very good post indeed, Professor!

One of my father's (few) jewels of wisdom is that "Life IS change. It is your attitude that accepts or denies it."

Found it to be quite true indeed. After all, nothing is forever. Everything is always changing.

A tear to my eye, Farty! I'm sure I will feel the same.

For me I started visiting in 2000 and this was just when Thaksin had come to power, since then I've seen this ridiculous nanny state crap take over. It beggars belief the changes he wishes to implement! I visited Chang Mai and many locals predicted The PM dealing a harsh blow to the nightlife of Thailand. I asked why they thought this and their reasoning was 1. He's an ex-cop, 2. He's from Chang Mai (stricter sense of the law) and 3. He shall we say has a healthy dislike for things foreign.

Well that was four years ago and by golly those locals seem of hit the nail on the head WHACK! In it goes! :D

The nightlife I experienced (first trip)was mainly in Phuket, Patong beach but I could see that its been on the 'turn' so to speak. Many of the expats have often referred to the 'golden age'. And generally speaking it was the 1990s up to the turn of the century; this was a time of when big money whent a farkin' long way, the sugar daddies rode the streets of Pattaya and like proud lords of the realm! Being a falang actually meant something, it was more novelty value but still something. The Thais were not trying to rip you off and seeing you as walking ATM machines!

If you were smart back then you could make money in Thailand as long as you were clever about it. The 1997 crash was very much a good thing for the wise expats who'd kept vast reserves of foreign currency. The baht rocketed to 100 baht for your pound sterling! :D I know many that had property built from this mini 'boom'.

Sure people have come to the LOS with big deams and plans, many have returned broke and broken hearted, some to never return. But the place had a lot more adventure and 'Wild West' appeal to it. Not so much now alas.

The islands of Samui, Koh Tao, Koh Phangyan were still quiet and there was a mystique to the country. And of course the nightlife was good. Now all three of the islands seem (to a varying extent) to on the make big time and by on the make I'm talking out to extract as much coin from falangs as possible!

In 2000 the closing time went from 0500 to 0400 and then to 0200 hrs! In the five years I've been visiting this unique country it has been getting inceasingly disapointing each time.

Bangkok which was once considered the legendary city of sin and exotic nightlife has most certainly lost its crown to the likes of Kuala Lumpa, Singapore and Japan (plus others). They have all taken forward steps in slackening off oppressive closing time laws in favour of treating visitors and locals like adults not naughty kids! :D

Vacumn effect

I guess its inevitable how the increase in tourism has impacted thailand, however I will say something now that may suprise you. Its called the vacumn factor and basically when a countries tourism moves from back packer types to the samsonite brigade and families AND then falls very sharply! I'm not saying it will happen but all it takes is a number of factors, crucially another place like Thailand to break into the mainstream and then POW! Thailands off the tourist trail! The way the country seems to be heading is unclear but It would not suprise me if the 'Vacumn' Factor comes into play. To make an example when I asked a travel agency for one she said straight away 'just look at India. tourism is now lower than it was in the past from its hippy trail heyday in the 60s and 70s , because the travellers/backpackers moved onto thailand in the 80s and 90s, after thailand the backpackers are moving through the phillipines etc i.e now, once the tourists (who are now in popular Thailand) follow the backpackers a vacumn effect takes over leaving thailand like india was. :o

OT and a little 'out there' I know but just thought I'd let you know what some analysts have predicted! :D

There are other places which can offer what Thailand has, its all a matter of time before the backpacker trail finds them!.... See you there! :D

Edited by JimsKnight

Good point from the post above, I couldn't have put it better myself. The nannisism is creeping along and people are just accepting it

As to the following:

Good post Professor, there is a lot of truth and sense in what you say.

Whilst I in part agree with the Prof's ideas, I don't think that we will be seeing another "Golden Era" as long as Toxin is in power.

a short hop to singapore, jakarta you can party all night, in fact there is a 4-story complex in jakarta that's open non-stop from friday 2pm, till monday morning 10am :D

i did that once and it took me a week to recover :o

in fact there is a 4-story complex in jakarta that's open non-stop from friday 2pm, till monday morning 10am

The Stadium in Jakarta... Now that's a mental place.

I was out last night in Singapore enjoying myself until 6:00am which is when the bars and discos are open until. Never thought I would see the day when I could party harder in Singapore than in Bangkok.

Having said that though, Phuket is still getting away with 3:30am closing times and the authorities are talking of zoning Pattaya which will introduce later closing times.

I really do hope that Thaksin stops strangling the nightlife in Thailand. Some of my best lifetime memories involve Thailands nightlife.

Edited by TravelFrog

a short hop to singapore, jakarta you can party all night, in fact there is a 4-story complex in jakarta that's open non-stop from friday 2pm, till monday morning 10am :D

i did that once and it took me a week to recover :o

Sounds rockin kreon!

Are the chicks up for it there or is it no money no honey deal! :D

What about beer prices and living prices? are we talking similar to Thailand?