Traffic Cameras Start On April 1 (no Joke)

NaiGreg

They will enforce it for the first couple of weeks and then it will fade away....

Driving whilst speaking on your mobile phone is probably one of the biggest causes of car accidents in Thailand but the BIB don't give a <deleted>. The BIB are not into preventative policing, they are reactive not proactive.... TIT...

In Thailand the mobile phone is God......I wonder how many deaths are caused, because someone wants to know if dinner is getting cold?

So the mobile phone is not God in other countries?

These cameras are bad news. Britain started with a few, now they have millions of them recording all the citizens all the time.

If you want to stop red light runners, use human beings. Station some officers there.

It might also be worth finding out why certain junctions have more red light runners. I'd hazard a quick guess that the lights stay on red a long time, so citizens don't want to wait for the next green. Have more frequent changes of lights and you may cut down red light runners.

It might also be worth finding out why certain junctions have more red light runners. I'd hazard a quick guess that the lights stay on red a long time, so citizens don't want to wait for the next green. Have more frequent changes of lights and you may cut down red light runners.

Or introduce roundabouts.  Folk will get used to them, after "a while", but they can't be more dangerous than traffic lights.  No impatience with roundabouts, traffic keeps flowing.  They already have a couple of small ones here.  A bit of education, & people will get the hang of them.  Even have very short cycle lights on them at peak times.  Just a thought.....

latest (like last week) evidence out of USA suggests that contrary to popular beliefs, talking on mobiles does not significantly increase incidence of traffic accidents. Previous studies had shown correlations as high as with drunk driving... but apparently this latest study refutes these claims.

Before i retired, it was my job to review and filter such reports and then make recommendations to local government... but have not kept up on all the latest studies.... just read the headlines....

still, interesting food for thought

latest (like last week) evidence out of USA suggests that contrary to popular beliefs, talking on mobiles does not significantly increase incidence of traffic accidents. Previous studies had shown correlations as high as with drunk driving... but apparently this latest study refutes these claims.

Before i retired, it was my job to review and filter such reports and then make recommendations to local government... but have not kept up on all the latest studies.... just read the headlines....

Then surely you know that funders of such reports tend to get the result they pay for.

yes... i do... but since retiring... i don't read articles, follow up on funding streams or connections to media releasers and all the other variables that affect "good" science.

it was cuz of some of my efforts that City of Berkeley became one of first cities to ban all cell phone use by city employees (except police and fire) during work hours in city vehicles.... and that too a LOT of reading....

those daze are long behind me now.... but a few new clips do pique my interest

Or introduce roundabouts. Folk will get used to them, after "a while",

How long has it been for the North Pattaya roundabout? Decades, and traffic still piles up there. Too many people drive like old ladies and don't know how to merge in.

People seemed to manage when the underpasses were under construction, & what we had was effectively large roundabouts.  Traffic kept flowing.  Now you have approx 2 minute wait near Makro for instance waiting to turn into the city or go straight on south.  Short cycle traffic lights at peak times assists those that can't go with the flow.

does that include people talking on mobiles while riding scooters too or just when driving cars?

does that include people talking on mobiles while riding scooters too or just when driving cars?

i am not sure, but my best guess is that it does NOT include scooter talkers... in USA, most states have helmet laws and while inside of helmets can contain communication devices, they don't seem to be used as much as here in Thailand... i mean, there are just a LOT of motoscooters in thailand, period.... only place i have seen more is like Vietnam...