John Thinks Jesus Was A Gay Man

Jingthing

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no evidence that Jesus was straight, bisexual, gay, or non-sexual. And neither have you.

You speak the truth. Nobody knows. Thus, the trashing Elton is getting now is really not justified. It is much more about the spewers of it than about what Elton said.

Well there is another aspect of this. If any private person said what Elton did, they would just be running their mouth. When you are a celebrity, such comments stick with you. Given the intensity of the hate speech reaction against him now (again, just check the web) I think he is probably going to have some security problems in the future. So in that sense, it probably wasn't worth it for him to say what he thinks.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus was a man's man...he hung out with the guys, flirted with a prostitute, and drank wine with the boys. (by the way, my Christian upbringing never told me if he had a job when he became an adult...he was groomed to be a carpenter. )

Seriouisly, even if Jesus was "gay" it would seem flaunting his "life style" wouldn't fit his way of life. He seemed to be very reserved and nonjudgemental. It was the established church later in the years that created the homophobic attitude in the Christian teachings. I find it ironic how the "born agains" (the evangelicals) are so anti-gay when one knows the personality of Jesus (how it is described in the Bible) wouldn't judge anyones life style.

And another comment... Being able to discuss this topic (seriously or with humor) is atleast a good indicator how our marbles are "balanced" enough without announcing a jihad or strapping explosives on ourselves to get even.

Well, he hung out mainly with men and there was that bit when the soldiers came to arrest him and a 'naked man' ran off from their group.

Also, even into his 30's he hadn't married, which would raise eyebrows....

:D:)

Plus he was fond of hanging around temples... and clearly he had issues of confusion surrounding his father.... :D:D

However, from the point of view of the mainstream religious rabble who have been programmed by their twisted 'religious' 'leaders' to think that homosexuality is the worst thing- EVER- it's about the most inflammatory thing Elton could have come up with, though I understand it wasn't meant that way.

I considered Jesus to be gay a long time before Elton John.

Topics such as this are usually designed to insult the religious beliefs of others. Elton John knows that since Christianity is in decline in the West, his pointless and puerile comment will cause no lasting ill effect on his music career or cause him to be in any danger.

If he had made a statement about the Prophet Muhammad being a paedophile then a few more people would have stood up to cricize him. Muhammad married Aisha when she was 6 and consumated the marriage when she was 9. But, of course, Elton knows better than to insult a violent religion and knows that he would receive some very stern criticism from a British Government that accepts lies and deceit all in the name of 'Community Cohesion'

We live in a hypocritical world and double standards, lies, insults and lack of respect for others are the norm.

All mainstream religions are disgusting, merit no respect and should be banned from civilized countries. Religion leaders are self-serving hypocrites more interested in their wallets than saving souls. The recent scandal of the homosexual pedophile ring being run out of the Vatican is such an example.

All mainstream religions are disgusting, merit no respect and should be banned from civilized countries. Religion leaders are self-serving hypocrites more interested in their wallets than saving souls.

So much for freedom of thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Topics such as this are usually designed to insult the religious beliefs of others. Elton John knows that since Christianity is in decline in the West, his pointless and puerile comment will cause no lasting ill effect on his music career or cause him to be in any danger.

If he had made a statement about the Prophet Muhammad being a paedophile then a few more people would have stood up to cricize him. Muhammad married Aisha when she was 6 and consumated the marriage when she was 9. But, of course, Elton knows better than to insult a violent religion and knows that he would receive some very stern criticism from a British Government that accepts lies and deceit all in the name of 'Community Cohesion'

We live in a hypocritical world and double standards, lies, insults and lack of respect for others are the norm.

All mainstream religions are disgusting, merit no respect and should be banned from civilized countries. Religion leaders are self-serving hypocrites more interested in their wallets than saving souls. The recent scandal of the homosexual pedophile ring being run out of the Vatican is such an example.

Has Richard Dawkins joined TV, WOW! Welcome your grace

I don't think this thread should become a general debate over religions (please take that to the Buddhism forum, assuming it's acceptable there).

I *would* say that most mainstream Western religions (with the pleasant exceptions of certain varieties of Buddhism, Hinduism, and a few other typically non-Judai-Islamo-Christian varieties) have made homosexuality a bogeyman in very recent times (the last 150 years or so, before which the concept did not exist medically or socially). It never fails to amaze me why so many gay men continue to hang on to these failed belief systems, which clearly have done so little to help the societies or many families which have embraced them, and which have conducted very vicious and personal campaigns against our sexual persuasions over the last century or so. In the case of Christianity, it is so rare to find a version of it which really stands for what Christ stood for, that those varieties which are truly authentic usually have to distinguish themselves by NOT calling themselves 'Christian' something or another.

Perhaps the clinging to Christianity of gay men is another form of self-directed homophobia by proxy, kind of like the way that closeted politicians join conservative political groups?

There is no evidence that Jesus was sexual. We don't know if He had a sex organ.

It is odd that the Bible doesn't mention his knob and none of the images of him show it. As the son of god you'd think it'd be something special and a talking point amongst the disciples.

There again ET didn't have a willy either.

I don't think this thread should become a general debate over religions (please take that to the Buddhism forum, assuming it's acceptable there).

I *would* say that most mainstream Western religions (with the pleasant exceptions of certain varieties of Buddhism, Hinduism, and a few other typically non-Judai-Islamo-Christian varieties) have made homosexuality a bogeyman in very recent times (the last 150 years or so, before which the concept did not exist medically or socially). It never fails to amaze me why so many gay men continue to hang on to these failed belief systems, which clearly have done so little to help the societies or many families which have embraced them, and which have conducted very vicious and personal campaigns against our sexual persuasions over the last century or so. In the case of Christianity, it is so rare to find a version of it which really stands for what Christ stood for, that those varieties which are truly authentic usually have to distinguish themselves by NOT calling themselves 'Christian' something or another.

Perhaps the clinging to Christianity of gay men is another form of self-directed homophobia by proxy, kind of like the way that closeted politicians join conservative political groups?

No, the Buddhism forum is about Buddhism, not comparative religion. Generally speaking, unless the discussion of the "other" religion is central to the discussion of the Buddhism topic, it is not appropriate.

You're usually one of the best posters in almost any forum, but what comes across here is you being "anti-religion". Which is okay...assuming you realize it.

Your position, that religions are "failed belief systems" is as extreme at one end of a spectrum as homophobia is in another spectrum. Both positions show a lack of respect for an individual's belief systems. One doesn't have to be not-religious to also be gay. There is a huge difference between what I'll call "group religion" and "personal faith". I also know gay people who are activist in both the gay part of their life and their religious life. I have known gay priests and brothers whose faith is very important to them. Rather than criticize religion from the outside, some have the courage to work to change it from within. In the Washington, D.C. area (where I lived before retiring here), there are several very large Church groups -- some sanctioned, some not -- that serve the gay community.

^Let's just say I've seen many, many more examples of how religion goes wrong (with specific respect in this thread to gay issues) than how it goes right, and I have no interest in 'fixing' religion to make it better- I can think of better reasons than 'god(s) told me so' to behave morally, and don't need a heaven to cushion my own existential dilemma. Other gay men may disagree.

Incidentally, being gay is something people don't have a choice about- it's not a 'belief system' in that sense. Religion can be, and is, a choice.