John Thinks Jesus Was A Gay Man

Jingthing

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is there is no evidence that I am aware of that Jesus was heterosexual or homosexual. Thus, how can right wingers be outraged by an opinion that he was homosexual when they are harboring the also unsupported presumption that he was heterosexual?

Edited by Jingthing

A controversial topic isn't it? Despite the angry and heated positions that will be adopted by many, no one has issued a "death warrant" for blasphemy. The fact that Reggie could express his views, no matter how incendiary and offensive to some speaks volumes about how far some societies and cultures have progressed. :)

A controversial topic isn't it? Despite the angry and heated positions that will be adopted by many, no one has issued a "death warrant" for blasphemy. The fact that Reggie could express his views, no matter how incendiary and offensive to some speaks volumes about how far some societies and cultures have progressed. :)

In Uganda they would kill him. Christians, not Muslims. Why do you consider thinking Jesus was gay to be incendiary anyway? He had some kind of sexuality, yes? Isn't it kind of strange that the default assumption is always supposed to be heterosexuality? OK, its a good bet statistically, I'll give you that, but that's it.

Edited by Jingthing

Well considering his status at that time, he sure would have been pretty popular among women.

And hence, would have had many wifes and children.

But he had none that we know of.

I guess John is right... :)

But why does it matter actually? :D

Edited by eurasianthai

Well considering his status at that time, he sure would have been pretty popular among women.

And hence, would have had many wifes and children.

But he had none that we know of.

I guess John is right... :)

But why does it matter actually? :D

It matters in the sense that the religion he inspired became a vessel of hatred and intolerance against gay people (and others, I am sure he wouldn't have been amused by the Spanish Inquisition either). If you read his words, it is clear he never intended for their to be hate mongers like Jerry Falwell, etc. preaching hatred in his name. It would add irony if it turns out he actually was gay. Edited by Jingthing

It matters in the sense that the religion he inspired became a vessel of hatred and intolerance against gay people (and others

Something that people strongly believe in can become a powerful tool.

For the people who can manipulate that tool.

Was used right from the start of religious beliefs and is used even more than ever today...

3. As far as Jesus being gay, it would be amazing that a piano player known for 500,000 pairs of eyeglasses somehow discovered something that 2000 years of scholarly research failed to pick up on. My guess is Elton is just trying get a little spotlight as he slips from relevance in the entertainment industry.

Exactly. I don't pretend to know whether Jesus was gay or not (indeed, what does it matter?). But I think John's speculations are just so much hot air, without anything to back them up. Just a thought (unsupported, too!):- if Jesus was the Christ, as I believe, would he have aligned himself with a biological minority group? His message was for all.

It matters in the sense that the religion he inspired became a vessel of hatred and intolerance against gay people (and others

Something that people strongly believe in can become a powerful tool.

For the people who can manipulate that tool.

Was used right from the start of religious beliefs and is used even more than ever today...

Not for its first 300 years. Christianity was neither violent nor anti-gay.

Well, he hung out mainly with men and there was that bit when the soldiers came to arrest him and a 'naked man' ran off from their group.

Also, even into his 30's he hadn't married, which would raise eyebrows....

:D:)

Plus he was fond of hanging around temples... and clearly he had issues of confusion surrounding his father.... :D:D

However, from the point of view of the mainstream religious rabble who have been programmed by their twisted 'religious' 'leaders' to think that homosexuality is the worst thing- EVER- it's about the most inflammatory thing Elton could have come up with, though I understand it wasn't meant that way.

Elton John is, of course, exactly correct. A literal reading of the scriptures clearly indicate that Jesus was a gay man searching for human rights and acceptance, just like all gay men everywhere.

Imagine if one attempted, on ThaiVisa, a thread: Replying to [Whoever] Thinks Buddha Was Gay. Just wonder how long it would last? Methinks a double standard would show its ugly face.

Imagine if one attempted, on ThaiVisa, a thread: Replying to [Whoever] Thinks Buddha Was Gay. Just wonder how long it would last? Methinks a double standard would show its ugly face.

I don't think you are correct. You are assuming thinking someone is gay is a bad thing. It is a neutral, descriptive things, that's all.

Exactly. I don't pretend to know whether Jesus was gay or not (indeed, what does it matter?). But I think John's speculations are just so much hot air, without anything to back them up. Just a thought (unsupported, too!):- if Jesus was the Christ, as I believe, would he have aligned himself with a biological minority group? His message was for all.

Again, do people who ASSUME JC was straight have anything to back them up? No, they don't.

Your minority group idea doesn't cut it either. Jesus was a Jew, and the Jewish people were a very small tribe at great risk of fading away like many other such small tribes, a tiny tiny minority group in relation to the world population at the time. I am not sure Jesus really intended to be the savior of all the world or not, that concept kind of happened later due to his promoters.

Edited by Jingthing

Well, it would be inaccurate to begin with. Buddha is a title, not a name.

I don't think you are correct. You are assuming thinking someone is gay is a bad thing. It is a neutral, descriptive things, that's all.

Again, do people who ASSUME JC was straight have anything to back them up? No, they don't.

Your minority group idea doesn't cut it either. Jesus was a Jew, and the Jewish people were a very small tribe at great risk of fading away like many other such small tribes, a tiny tiny minority group in relation to the world population at the time. I am not sure Jesus really intended to be the savior of all the world or not, that concept kind of happened later due to his promoters.

Jingthing, you carefully omit the word 'biological'. That means US.

Yes, "How odd/Of God/To choose/The Jews".(Ogden Nash, I think)

Promoters? What century are you thinking in? It was largely a slave religion in the earlier days, helped along of course by kindly souls like Nero and Domitian. Display ads in the Acta Diurna? Fish chalked all over the pillars of the forum?

I didn't carefully omit anything. By promoters, of course I mean the gospel writers of early Christianity. It is kind of quirky how religions catch on, or not. I recently read an analysis that if roman emperor Constantine had not converted to Christianity, it would not have taken off. Remember, Jesus was one of several Jewish men of his era who were claiming to be the messiah and were also crucified.

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, I don't think Jesus was a gay man and I don't think Jesus was a straight man either. I respect people's right to have an opinion on the matter, whether it is Elton John or the Pope. To my view, there is no evidence for either. If I were to bet, I would bet straight, just based on statistics.

Edited by Jingthing

Jezus ! What a life and afterlife that guy has had. His didn't have a father in the way we normal people do - what would Sigismund have said about this ? Probably have

suggested that the guy had very good reasons to become focuses on anal, genital and digital stuff...

His step dad was, so it seems, an accommodating cuckold. If, as the myth goes, Mary became an adultress, yet remained a virgin in cuckolding her husband, did

Joseph ever get any ?

If Mary was an honest woman and if adultory was a Judean state crime and if god did state that a breach of honesty was a religious crime too, shouldn't Mary have gone to the

authorities and declared her crime ? She did not and Jezus is therefore also the son of a criminal family.

I don't know what kind of life forms Jezus preferred to have sex with but with the kind in family dynamics he grew up in I'd not be surprised that he had a few

strange ideas on what was acceptable to do. And by strange I do not mean sex within one's own species !

Remember, he was a social rebel, perhaps he was a sexual rebel too, whatever that may have meant in Judea 2000 years ago.

If he was open-minded sexually, it's a very good thing that Liviticus didn't get his hands on him (see 18:22 and 20:13 http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibh3.htm)

I don't know what to think of regarding Jezus, the records clearly state the man existed - but as an earlier poster suggested - the godist agents and promoters of the religion

that carries his name have completely taken over and I definitely do not like them or the interests they push...but I'm reluctant to pass this onto the man...

good old elton justifying his life style.No need to in my opinion.however take it a step further,and remember jesus had a soft spot for mary magdelane who by all accounts was a loose women or a prostitute of her day so on the basis of elton's comments does it mean its ok to go with hookers?No offence to anyone intended.
what was the point of your post?

What I assumed the poster was saying is that some will say, "See, Jesus hung out mainly with men, he never got married, blah, blah, blah, so we must have been gay." Following that type of logic, he favored Mary Magdalene, so (if you believe she was a prostitute) he must have liked hookers." Both instances of faulty logic.

I have no idea whether Jesus was gay or not or even sexual. All I know is that there are many people out there who will jump to some silly anti-Christian-belief, while "demanding proof" by Christians for anything that would support the religious view.

Exactly. Which means Elton John's opinions about Jesus' sexuality are just as valid as any popes.

I would disagree there...in regard to validity. While I am not often in agreement with Papal decrees and the like, do you honestly think Elton has done any significant study into the matter? He has every right to his opinions, but I hardly think they are more than idle speculation on his part.

I would equate the opinions of Elton John on religion to be about as valid as almost any opinion of Sarah Palin. They both have a right to their opinions and to express their opinions. It doesn't mean they are intelligent opinions. I like Elton John and I like his music. But he's not the font of information about religion.

Edited by phetaroi

Topics such as this are usually designed to insult the religious beliefs of others. Elton John knows that since Christianity is in decline in the West, his pointless and puerile comment will cause no lasting ill effect on his music career or cause him to be in any danger.

If he had made a statement about the Prophet Muhammad being a paedophile then a few more people would have stood up to cricize him. Muhammad married Aisha when she was 6 and consumated the marriage when she was 9. But, of course, Elton knows better than to insult a violent religion and knows that he would receive some very stern criticism from a British Government that accepts lies and deceit all in the name of 'Community Cohesion'

We live in a hypocritical world and double standards, lies, insults and lack of respect for others are the norm.

Topics such as this are usually designed to insult the religious beliefs of others. Elton John knows that since Christianity is in decline in the West, his pointless and puerile comment will cause no lasting ill effect on his music career or cause him to be in any danger.

If he had made a statement about the Prophet Muhammad being a paedophile then a few more people would have stood up to cricize him.

This topic is in the public domain. It is global news. Why can't we discuss it here? It is indeed now being discussed all over the world. Elton is very famous and this quote will follow him for the rest of his life. It does indeed inspire those who hate gays to attack Elton. For evidence, you won't need to look far.

As far as the Islam angle, you are correct. There is a double standard to a certain extent. To be clear though, Elton said he thinks Jesus was gay, he did NOT say he thinks Jesus was a pedo. If your example about Muhammad was some back door way of implying that gay equals pedo, well you are wrong, and you are posting in the wrong forum too. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Exactly. Which means Elton John's opinions about Jesus' sexuality are just as valid as any popes.

I would disagree there...in regard to validity.

They both have a right to their opinions and to express their opinions.

You are correct that Elton is most probably not a religious scholar. I'll give you that. Agreed, everyone is entitled to an opinion.