Is It Possible To Use Two Itineraries At The Check-in?

3183h

Hello,

My friend would like to travel to the United States. Due to some issues in the past, she cancelled her initial itinerary.

Her trip starts in Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) and stopover in Hong Kong (HKG). From Hong Kong, she will be traveling to San Francisco (SFO). Then, from San Francisco, she will be traveling to Las Vegas (LAS) as her final destination.

This is a one-way ticket because she is a student.

She reserved the trip to travel from BKK to SFO via Thai Airways (BKK to HKG) and via Continental Airlines (HKG to SFO). This is on her first itinerary.

The second itinerary is via US Airways, from SFO to LAS. She got this ticket herself when she was on-line. (It is 5 hours after she arrives in SFO). The flight leaves on the same day.

The itineraries were not purchased together. From all I know, all three airlines are partners through Star Alliance.

My questions:

1. Is it possible to do a check-through from BKK to LAS, using two itineraries, even though they were originated from different sources?

2. From # 1, will the airlines from the first itinerary be responsible in case of lost or delay for the flights on the second itinerary, SFO-LAS?

3. If #1 answer is a NO, it means that she has to carry the luggages out to do a check-in and subjected to the luggage fees, since she is under domestic airways rules. In contrary, if she can check through from BKK, she will be waived for the luggage fees because the international travel allows two bags with 50 lbs each for free.

I realize that the responsibilities will be relied on the Thai Airways, who will issue the boarding passes.

I do appreciate your comments and responses on this one. A few people said that they could issue the full boarding passes from BKK to LAS but some said that they could not, (can issue only from BKK to SFO). One way or the other, the first itinerary stands.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by 3183h

You are best to call United Airlines to make sure they allow check-through of luggage on USAir.

Air Canada, for instance, suspended two-itinerary checktrough for a while, but reinstated it last year again. I just checked through from a YYZ-HKG flight and a separate TG ticket from HKG-BKK, and did not get nailed with any luggage fees because my second flight was inner-Asia.

Star Alliance has tried their best to streamline their policies to make travel smoother.

In any case, however, you will have to collect luggage in SFO to put through customs and drop them on the connecting belt. Having your tags printed all the way through to final destination will be a time saver.

My opinion is that it's probably ok, but you have to make sure to request it at check-in, and you should double check with United. I didnt find any info on a quick search of their website.

m

You are best to call United Airlines to make sure they allow check-through of luggage on USAir.

Air Canada, for instance, suspended two-itinerary checktrough for a while, but reinstated it last year again. I just checked through from a YYZ-HKG flight and a separate TG ticket from HKG-BKK, and did not get nailed with any luggage fees because my second flight was inner-Asia.

Star Alliance has tried their best to streamline their policies to make travel smoother.

In any case, however, you will have to collect luggage in SFO to put through customs and drop them on the connecting belt. Having your tags printed all the way through to final destination will be a time saver.

My opinion is that it's probably ok, but you have to make sure to request it at check-in, and you should double check with United. I didnt find any info on a quick search of their website.

m

mpetersen,

Thank you for your comments.

Are you suggesting her to contact United Airlines, instead of Thai Airways?

Thai Airways will be the airlines that issue the luggage tag on the first itinerary. I recommended her to go to the Bangkok airport and asked for all details including the name of the personnel who gives her the answer. Since it is verbal, I would like to ensure that the information received will be accurate.

I think, in her case, she will be negotiating with Thai airways rather than United Airlines. But, there is United Airlines in Bangkok as well. Should I tell her to inquire with United Airlines too?

If the check-through is approved, likelihood, it will be originated by Thai Airways. I am concerned that what will happen if the Thai Airways refuse to accept the second itinerary.

I have no experience on this issue. I could not locate the information on the internet as well.

Thanks for the information. Take care.

Where will she be going through immigration? My guess is she's going to have to go through immigration at SFO, and will therefore need to pick up her luggage there and then re-check it for the flight to Vegas.

In the US, the first US airport people land in is where they clear immigration and customs. They then proceed to their next flight.

Picking up luggage is always mandatory, however if tagged for the next flight, after customs there is an area where you give it to handlers who put it onto a belt toward the right area of the airport.

I do this every time I fly back to the States. I usually fly Thai Airways to LAX, then book a completely separate itinerary to my final destination. I have never had any problem, except you MUST show them both itineraries when you check in with Thai Airways at BKK. They have said that they have no way to look up the other flights, and their computer obviously won't show your whole trip. I have never been charged twice for luggage fees.

As someone else said, yes, you have to claim your luggage upon reaching the US. However, this is not the same as the regular baggage claim. It is a special baggage claim within the international arrivals/immigration area. Everyone must pick up their bags (no matter where they are heading next, or on which airline) and drop them off after passing through customs. Depending on the airport, it can be as little as 25 feet that you have to carry your bags to the drop-off point. If the bags are checked through to another US destination, you don't have to worry about your bags again until you arrive at your last stop.

** My separate itinerary is usually on American Airlines (which is not a Star Alliance partner, I believe, but still somehow affiliated with Thai Airways). I have no knowledge of United Airways' partnerships. You should probably double check that they are in fact partners, but if they are, then checking the bags all the way through shouldn't be a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

m

mpetersen,

Thank you for your comments.

Are you suggesting her to contact United Airlines, instead of Thai Airways?

Thai Airways will be the airlines that issue the luggage tag on the first itinerary. I recommended her to go to the Bangkok airport and asked for all details including the name of the personnel who gives her the answer. Since it is verbal, I would like to ensure that the information received will be accurate.

I think, in her case, she will be negotiating with Thai airways rather than United Airlines. But, there is United Airlines in Bangkok as well. Should I tell her to inquire with United Airlines too?

If the check-through is approved, likelihood, it will be originated by Thai Airways. I am concerned that what will happen if the Thai Airways refuse to accept the second itinerary.

I have no experience on this issue. I could not locate the information on the internet as well.

Thanks for the information. Take care.

Based on my experience just this week, there is no problem through-checking from two itineraries, especially if they are both on star alliance carriers. I even received my boarding passes all the way for my HKG-Canada ticket at the checkin counter in BKK. I thought that was rather efficient. Sometimes, it might be prudent not to ask too many questions...

The answer depends on whether all the airlines involved have an interline agreement with each other to provide through-booking of luggage. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, so you'll have to ask Thai -- the airline that's going to accept and tag your luggage -- whether they can book your luggage through.