Where To Buy Sunglasses?

Longbow212

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy some decent sunglasses that aren't overpriced designer, fakes or cheap crap from big C ? Is there a Thai brand that makes good quality sunglasses at reasonable prices?

I refuse to spend big money on them because time and time again I just break/lose them on a regular basis.

Thanks

What budget do you have in mind?

No specific budget, I don't mind paying a bit more for quality but 8000bht for designer classes is way off the chart.

Back home in the UK I can get a decent pair of sunglasses from Next for around 20 pounds (1000bht). Something similar would be fine for me here.

No specific budget, I don't mind paying a bit more for quality but 8000bht for designer classes is way off the chart.

Back home in the UK I can get a decent pair of sunglasses from Next for around 20 pounds (1000bht). Something similar would be fine for me here.

I went to a glasses shop in the Tesco Lotus building a week ago, in search of a pair of sunnies for somewhere between 500-1,000 baht, but everything they had in stock was apparently 4,000 and up, so I went back to Tescos and found a pair of polarised aviators for 200 baht. It seems they range from 200 to 400 and upwards, which is not much to lose if they get lost and I have to fork out another 200 baht for a new pair.

I went to a glasses shop in the Tesco Lotus building a week ago, in search of a pair of sunnies for somewhere between 500-1,000 baht, but everything they had in stock was apparently 4,000 and up, so I went back to Tescos and found a pair of polarised aviators for 200 baht. It seems they range from 200 to 400 and upwards, which is not much to lose if they get lost and I have to fork out another 200 baht for a new pair.

There is a normal Tesco's in Thailand? Please could you provide an address of where you bought the sunglasses.

There is a normal Tesco's in Thailand? Please could you provide an address of where you bought the sunglasses.

Sorry to be a little unclear just then. I had visitors in the middle of posting. I meant Tesco Lotus, and this one was the usual place on Sukhumvit in Ban Chang, but they're all around, and probably stock the same brands of cheap sunnies wherever you find one.

I bought the wife some Raybans a couple of years ago from one of the prolific Optical shops . The metal discolored and the lens's went blurred after a few months. myabe they were fake, they were certainly more expensive than in the UK. I use Ebay in the UK now and get a relative to post them to me.

"time and time again I just break/lose them on a regular basis"

same here; have 2 pr prescription sunglasses for driving, otherwise i buy 2-3 pairs of 'possibly not the real thing'.

Last weekend we were at Aranyaprathet markets, paid 150 for Raybans (made in USA!), 100 for adidas (made in Italy) lens quality ok, frames sturdy enough (real ones break just as easy if sat on) and no great loss when I, um, lose them.

so funny this thread...

My Next sunglasses from the UK which cost £19.99 are falling apart and I need replacements too and balk at buying expensive glasses...already have some and never use them....

I have checked tesco lotus out and can confirm their glasses are around 199 baht up and with okay designs......

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure I'm convinced that sunglasses costing 200-400 baht (from a shop in Tescos) are any good!

I picked up somebody else's sunglasses once by mistake (they looked like mine). At first I thought my eyes had gone funny (!), but after about 10 mins I was getting a headache and, belatedly, realised they weren't mine. :)

It made me realise there really is a difference between quality and cheap sunglasses.

Can you really take out the lenses and just replace the frames? I ask 'cos I tried to replace the lenses of my Oakleys which were badly scratched, whilst keeping the frames. I was told by the Oakley shop in Central, Phuket, that it wasn't possible.

Like the OP, I would love to find GOOD sunglasses priced around 1,000-2,000 baht.

Try euro-optic, not sure where the branches are in Bangkok but I got an excellent pair of sunglasses from them in Pattaya at 1500 baht, hmm just googled them and only came up with Pattaya branch, perhaps they are not country wide, sorry.

I'm interested in where I could actually get a decent pair of Raybans at a good price? I pass through Dubai airport and Bangkok airport regularly. I am also going back to the Uk for a week soon. If anyone could point me to a good Uk website that would be good too.

Thanks.