Shopping In Ubon Ratchathani

JT101

Hi

I'm a british guy working in Phosai as a teacher. I've been to Ubon several times, but I can never find what I need in the shops. Any locals have any ideas?

I need size 12US (11UK) walking / decent sports shoes. All the ones I have found ahve either been too small, or cheap rubbiosh that won't last a day.

Looking to spend upwards of 1500baht. Assuming this will get me something good.

Also want a laptop battery for my 5 year old Compaq Evo n610c.

And a music shop to buy a harmonica

Cheers

James

At Sunee there is a new and very impressive sports shop with large range of shoes located on the 1st floor (above Fuji). On the third floor is a huge range of computer shops (entire third floor) which should be able to sort out your computer battery.

James,

Impossible Mission maybe.

I also have large size feet and have experienced the same challenge. In over 9 years living in Ubon I have yet to find a pair of shoes here that fit my feet. I do try from time to time but always get my foot squeezed into a size too small. I have been purchasing my shoes in Bangkok. I have not tried to newly opened Sports World at City Mall. I see they do have a good selection but the problem has always been the size.

Compaq is not seen too much in Thailand. I haven't seen a Compaq dealer here. I would suggest go to Ubon Com World on Khuang Thani Rd across from TAT or a shop on Phalochai Rd just west of Upparat. I don't think they have in stock but should be able to order from Bangkok. There is a small shop just north of Wrong Way Cafe that does business in used laptops. They refurbish so might have batteries or a contact to order for you.

Another suggestion for shoes is to try Amazon. They have a shoes and accessories website you can order from. I have ordered mostly books for Amazon and have never had any problems getting the items safely delivered to Ubon.

Good luck.

Good advice on the music store. In case you are unaware where the sri issan hotel is just ask someone to take you to the Talart Yai (Big Market) which is on the rivers edge near the bridge that goes across to Warin Chamrap.

I dropped in to Sports World at City Mall for you today and they said the most of their shoes top out at size 44 but a few do go to 46. According to the few websites I just looked up it seems that a size 12 US = a 44 - 46 size in Thailand which means you maybe in luck.

• 2 weeks later...

my husband is a size 13 US, he can't even find shoes here in bangkok that fit. we've ordered from the US before but be aware that when they are delivered you have to pay duties on them (almost 100% last time, but typically we don't pay duties for books delivered from amazon, just other stuff). if you get someone from home to send them without the sales slip, etc. you might be able to avoid this. otherwise stock up when you visit home or have a friend bring them.