Moving To Thailand

coxhoedave

Been coming to LOS for best part of 30 years and it has always struck me as a good place to wake up in the morning.

As I hit the big 50 thoughts spring to mind about eventually settling here.

Something appeals about not facing long dark winters or scraping the windscreen free of frost.

I've been married to a fantastic Nakhon Sawan lass for 18 years and retiring here seems to make a whole deal of sense.

I don't like to think of myself as being naive or under the illusion that it's some sort of Utopia here but the idea of settling here appeals.

To cut a long story short, weighing up the pro and cons, it does seem make to make sense.

What about you guys who have made the plunge. Was it a great idea to relocate here?

Was the grass greener?

I recommend giving it a go. Only one year into it but life has been more enjoyable. Not 100% sure the grass is greener at this point. I'm now retired where I was still employed in the US so it isn't an apples to apples comparison. I do miss the a few simple things but not the end of the world: cool morning walks to the bagel shop, the variety of meal options, knowing more or less what others are saying about me, speed of travel, being cold sometimes...

I enjoy the constant energy of Thailand cities, the food, and the simplicity of my daily life. Surprising to me, after living in Thailand for 3 yrs in the late 90's, is that my monthly budget is only slightly less than it was in America. Sure you can live in a village and spend nearly nothing but the same can be said about America.

I didn't make the move until last May, so we're only talking 8 months so far, but nevertheless I'll pitch in my two cents.

In visiting most years since 1987 (I guess I didn't come about 5 of those years) I was often able to come for 7 weeks at a time, and never less than 3 weeks at a time (educator with those nice long summers...until I became a principal). Retiring here was on my mind since 1990, so when I would come here I would try to not just be a tourist. In the years I would be here for 7 weeks at a time I would almost always rent a flat in a Thai building -- not a hotel or serviced apartment. I would try to be as independent as possible and figure out things on my own, getting help from Thai friends only when absolutely necessary, and then with the idea of "help learn to", and never "please do for me".

I mention all this because it meant that when I moved here in May, even though I have a Thai partner, most of what I have had to do I decided to do relatively independently. I guess the only real exception was when I went to get my Thai drivers license and thought there might be a real need for translation during the process.

So for me, Thailand has been pretty much what I expected it to be. I can't think of very much that has surprised me. Living in Bangkok/Thailand is not as "easy" as living in the States. But I already knew that.

The only thing that has really surprised me is that I feel a little more isolated than I expected. I'm not the bar type, so that is not a venue for socializing. I find that an awfully lot of other expats don't necessarily want to associate with other expats. I guess I sort of feel that way, too, although not to the point of exclusion. Some of the expats that are open and friendly I find not to be to my liking...not my style. On the other hand, with the Thais there's the language barrier, just for starters. I'm taking Thai lessons now, and over time things will click more into place.

The only other thing that has surprised me -- and my partner and I were just taking about it this morning -- is that (at least in Bangkok) there has been, in the past few years, a giant swing (no pun intended) about the concept of "mai pben rai". Twenty years ago everything was mai pben rai. Even things that shouldn't have been. I remember getting to know one of the street beggers a little...his English was very good and he was located very near my flat, so I would see him everyday and sometimes chat briefly. Finally I asked him how he had lost his arm. Industrial accident, but "mai pben rai." Gee to me, losing an arm is not mai ben rai. General Suchinda's coup and the disappearances...I remember a Thai college student telling me, "But, mai pben rai." To me, hundreds dead or disappeared forever is not mai pben rai. Now, it seems like the concept of mai pben rai is disappearing. Especially obvious is current Thai politics -- nothing is mai pben rai. And I begin to see it reflected -- at least a little -- in everyday Thai life, at least in Bangkok.

There are things I miss now that I live here. But I am able to balance that out with there are things I would miss about here if I moved back to the States. And on those very occasional days when I do feel a tad bit homesick, I just think to myself, "I lived in the U.S. for 59 years. Time for the last chapter to be different and to keep me thinking young." That seems to do it for me.

Everyone is unique and has different interests and needs. And, your needs DO change as you get older. Only you know what pleases you. If you have enough money to retire then Thailand MIGHT suit your needs, but as you've been coming here as long as you have then you already know that. I know that I can live in Thailand cheaper than staying at home in a Canadian winter. My only excessive costs are what I spend on the ladies. If I just wanted to live like a hermit I could do so comfortably on less than 20,000 baht a month.

- The grass is always greener over the septic tank - Erma Bombeck

And from her above referenced book, a comment applicable to the farangs I have met in Thailand;

Maybe you don’t realize the dangers of being by yourself out here in this wilderness. There are loonies and crazies running around all over the place." “True, but we’re all on a first-name basis.”

I can't get the flaming grass to grow!!

But I have to take issue with the "only come here for the Ladies" comment. Frankly I find the cross cultural barriers to high to bother dating women here. I'll find someone from back home or another western country when the time is right. But there are many great things I love about living here while being single that don't include renting company.

Life is what you make it and largely to do with how you approach it. If you have a happy life where you are, you;'d probably be happy here too.

Some people can find misery in a winning lottery ticket that comes complete with a marriage invitation from the current Miss World. Others can find happiness on a rice farm with a squat dunnie and no running water.

If you are an adventurous sort, give it a go. Whats the worst that could happen?

Edited by Loz

Maybe try a longer period over here first, give yourself a year and see how it feels, your will have covered all the variations in weather by then and have given it long enough to know what you like about Thailand or miss about your home country.

Sound advice and if you have a property in your own country keep it until you are sure about this place. There are many here that wish they had a plan b, likewise many that love the place.

Maybe try a longer period over here first, give yourself a year and see how it feels, your will have covered all the variations in weather by then and have given it long enough to know what you like about Thailand or miss about your home country.

Sound advice for sure! Don't sell the "farm" until the first few crops come in! I did several scouting missions before pulling the plug on life as I know it in the US. Now that I've been here for several years, that sound you hear at the BKK airport once a year is security dragging me on the plane kicking and screaming for another "holiday" in the US! :) "To each his own!"

I can't get the flaming grass to grow!!

But I have to take issue with the "only come here for the Ladies" comment. Frankly I find the cross cultural barriers to high to bother dating women here. I'll find someone from back home or another western country when the time is right. But there are many great things I love about living here while being single that don't include renting company.

Life is what you make it and largely to do with how you approach it. If you have a happy life where you are, you;'d probably be happy here too.

Some people can find misery in a winning lottery ticket that comes complete with a marriage invitation from the current Miss World. Others can find happiness on a rice farm with a squat dunnie and no running water.

If you are an adventurous sort, give it a go. Whats the worst that could happen?

The worst that could happen is probably getting financially tied into the place with no immediate option the leave

i would rather be poor and live in los than be comfortable in the uk

I've thought about it and that is just about the dumbest thing I've ever read in TV.

I took it as meaning that the same income that would be classified as 'poor' in the UK is a fortune here. The success of Thailand in fighting the rampant inflation of countries like mine is just one of the reasons I came back here, apart from pretty girls when I walk down the street.