Yahoo Messenger And Skype

vagabond48

I use mostly YM and sometimes when YM is bad or unusable, I try Skype but recently they both have been either poor or unreliable.

My bandwidth meter shows that when I use YM, it only requires less than 40Kbps for the download/upload so why is it so freaking bad?

Is the problem TOT or is YM and skype just not very reliable now a days. I know when I download torrents, while I rarely get more than 400kbps, I at least usually get more than 40kpbs for my downloads and uploads. Oh, I don't do any downloads when I make my calls.

Oh I forgot to mention, because the time difference, I make most of my calls after 11PM and many times after 1AM and get the same lousy results.

Edit: add more info

Edited by vagabond48

Vagabond48,

I did this to improve my skpye result from TOT.

I have a 2 mb connection which seems to be adequate,however my outbound bandwidth as promised by TOT was 50 kbs,so my wife rang and told them nicely that after doing a speedtest .net test, this was the case,you may want to check this first,my speed was to the UK.

After this call its been fine ever since,I can only assume that TOT will only change it if you tell them you need it. The contract promises 512 KB international,you maybe lucky and get 375 KBs

Good luck hope this helps

Might be a TOT problem. I have TOT 2MBit and Skype call quality is usually disappointing even during times when the line is performing well for other services (web browsing, torrents, etc).

Whereas the 3BB 4MBit Indy package at a friend's place in Samut Prakan makes Skype crystal clear!

Possible reasons:

• TOT seems to shape bandwidth by connection (above all international line speed). This is why I can get full 2MBit for downloads and torrents (using multiple connections). Skype however uses only one connection if I'm not mistaken.
  • P2P voice services rely less on absolute bandwidth but on other line quality parameters (response time, packet loss, jitter). Somebody posted a performance and line quality benchmark here in the forums before that would take all parameters into account. My TOT connection always performed bad on this test.
  • Since voice services require bidirectional communication (down- and upload) the upload is probably the weak link, since it is limited to 512kbps even with bigger packages. Of course TOT never provides even this nominal speed internationally.
  • Another observation that really puzzled me: The combination TOT/Skype even gave me troubles when calling to Bangkok, so TOT has a problem even at local or national level. Gee! Not sure if TOT just lacks bandwidth (globally) compared to other providers, or doesn't have sophisticated routing software in place that could prioritize VOIP traffic.

welo

Edited by welo

After this call its been fine ever since,I can only assume that TOT will only change it if you tell them you need it. The contract promises 512 KB international,you maybe lucky and get 375 KBs

Really? I doubt that the put international bandwidth guarantees in the contract.

I might give them a ring though, it's worth a try.

welo