Sorry?

onnut

I know its annoying getting stuck in but, for the guy who said he's "moved bikes" and then knocked em over, you gotta be a fakking baby man, a BABY! its funny ahahah i'd pepper spray yah for that, hope no thais see ya doin it either

I must have missed the "Knocked em over" part.

Please show us where that was posted and please, spare us from your street cred, infantile grammar.

It's obvious who the baby is here. :)

I refer you to post 13 where he leaves em on the ground... I think I was having a bad day when I posted because I was thinking about how someone kicked my bike over before once in a parking lot for no reason (parked perfectly not blocking anything) but just out of jealousy...

So I dont really care what the mods say but gungadin you can SMB :D (suck ma ballz)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well despite my "grammar" issues and "comprehension" issues and all other deficits, I atleast can admit when i'm wrong, which is obviously sometimes very humbling but it's just built into someone who has character, which seems to be your deficit.

So anyone else ever been quadrouple parked? :) 

It's more than obvious now that you have a reading/comprehension deficit. :D

Thank you. :D

Well despite my "grammar" issues and "comprehension" issues and all other deficits, I atleast can admit when i'm wrong, which is obviously sometimes very humbling but it's just built into someone who has character, which seems to be your deficit.

So anyone else ever been quadrouple parked? :D

Okay children, no need to throw your handbags down, take out your teeth or remove your glasses :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've found that Thai's are unable to understand the concept of causing inconvenience to others. Whenever it happens (often) all you get is a blank stare of incomprehension.

I've observed exactly the opposite: that most Thai's, most of the time, are very careful to avoid inconvenience to others.

There is even a word in Thai for this: "Greng-jai" -- loosely translated means, "consideration for others".

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

I got to my car in the car park and could not drive it out because someone had left there car parked in front of mine but did not put it in Nutrual. ... the guy just looks at my car and gets into his. ... no sorry or not even a sheepish look, nothing!

OnNut -

There are three, essential, pieces of information omitted from your OP, which will almost certainly shed some light on the problem.

1. What make and year of each car?
  2. What is your age, and what is the age of the other car owner?
  3. What sort of clothes were you wearing at the time, and what was the other man wearing?

That information will explain the relative status of the two people involved in this situation.

If the other person has higher perceived status than you do, in Thai culture he owes you nothing.

Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but it is that way.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

I've observed exactly the opposite: that most Thai's, most of the time, are very careful to avoid inconvenience to others.

There is even a word in Thai for this: "Greng-jai" -- loosely translated means, "consideration for others".

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

True, except when they get behind the wheel of a car, or when riding a motorbike. Then, all consideration for others vanishes. However, Thais do understand the movement of vehicles through crowded streets and they negotiate through the narrow sois faster and better than most farangs.

As far as double and triple parking is concerned, it is just considered normal. And, those that leave their vehicles behind blocking others, or turning a two way street into a one way street, just don't care.

I was blocked in once whilst parked outside a 7-11. Wifey and I returned to the trusty Triton and couldn't move.

After 10 minutes the wife went and found a policeman who proceeded to write out a ticket, waited for the guy to return and relieved him of 400 bht.

When he saw me the guy started shouting about 'Only blocking in a Farang'. I am pleased to say the cop gave him a lecture about the inconvenience he had caused.

I like a story with a happy ending.

As far as double and triple parking is concerned, it is just considered normal. And, those that leave their vehicles behind blocking others ... just don't care.

IanForbes' conclusion above altogether misses the hierarchical factor of Thai culture.

In a society where consideration for others is such a high value, how can it be "normal" to "don't care"?

It isn't.

To understand the situation, look carefully at who is doing the blocking and double parking.

The vast majority will be high-so people in high-so (expensive) cars.

The high-so here don't owe anything to the peasants, not even "greng-jai".

It's the hierarchy.

As for Westerners, we're not even in the hierarchy here.

We're owed nothing in the way of social consideration either, not from the hi-so.

Another portion of blockers and double parkers will be wanna-be-high-so, post-menopausal females, with big hair.

It's not so much they don't care, as they need to be seen as not caring.

For that sort, it's "face".

(Delivery trucks, especially ice delivery, are a separate factor, not counted here.)

Lots and lots of Westerners here have problems like the OP, whose problems along these lines seem never-ending.

They don't understand the culture here, so they retreat into feeling frustrated and angry.

A clear indication of that is name-calling, as the OP did when he used, "POS" (by which I think he means, "piece of shit").

Among long-stay expats, there are many who are perpetually frustrated and angry.

But understanding is available, and answers are, usually, quite simple.

Most answers to problems like this come from understanding Thai social values of hierarchy and face.

I'm always trying to improve my understanding, too, so I'm happy for more discussion on this topic, either on the public forum or in private messages.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

.. he probably WAS mortified ...at the loss of face ... He couldn't look you in the eye, much less say sorry, because that would only acknowledge his loss of face.

Excellent analysis.

Seems highly possible in situations like that.

Thank you for posting.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

True, except when they get behind the wheel of a car, or when riding a motorbike. Then, all consideration for others vanishes.

Or encountering any kind of queue.

Maybe Thai's are different in Chiang Mai

I have had this happen to me several times in the past, I started carrying a tube of super/crazy glue around with me, loosen the dust caps and let half the air out of offending vehicles tyre, also do the windscreen wipers and door. Go have a meal/drink job done!

Thai's are ignorant low life when it comes to consideration to their fellow man, a little retribution is the only way to get some satifaction.