Someone Please Help To Past A Message

healthcaretaker

Me thinks perhaps you are in the wrong city because there is no gate n CM named "South Gate".

It's just down the road from South Park. :)

Seriously, he provided no clear name or location, even though he said he got it from as guide book which presumably includes both a name and a reasonable location description.

I can't believe I'm even posting this.

My bet is on it being Ong Thipparot. This is just South from Chang Phuak (North) Gate. They open in the evenings. duh.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

:-)

PS -- many native English speakers would say that "really disappointed" and "upset" are closely related, enough to be used as synonyms :D

I still won't be going in to tell the owner some random foreigner was "really disappointed" and how to conduct his business regarding signage :D

If they are along the moat and open-air then they will probably not be open during Songkran festival. Would you like someone to tell them not to close because some random foreigner will be there for a bowl of soup one day during the holidays?

edit -- spelling

Again, you missed my request terribly. My main request is for someone to find out whether they will open on Songkran or not IF he/she happens to be there; and NOT to purposely go there to find out. How selfish of you to think of me that way.

As for your last question, NO thanks, don't make a fool of yourself by being so SELFISH :)

Me thinks perhaps you are in the wrong city because there is no gate n CM named "South Gate".

It's just down the road from South Park. :)

Seriously, he provided no clear name or location, even though he said he got it from as guide book which presumably includes both a name and a reasonable location description.

I can't believe I'm even posting this.

My bet is on it being Ong Thipparot. This is just South from Chang Phuak (North) Gate. They open in the evenings. duh.

It's a Chinese guidebook with no name of the shop, only a picture and location and address which I have described CLEARLY. Anyway, is Ong Thipparot is shop name or location ? The book mentioned it opens from 5 pm to 5 am in the morning.

What do you mean by South from North Gate ? Now yours is north of the old city or south ? This one I am looking is south of the old city around the entrance of Prapokklao Road.

Why are there people here good in creating confusions or misunderstandings ?

I can't believe I'm even replying you but being kind and nice, I did :D

Op, be aware that Thanon Pra Pok Klao runs between both gates: Chang Puak Gate in the north and Chiang Mai Gate in the south. Thapae Gate is in the east. Hope you eventually get to indulge in your noodles. :)

Yes !! Someone confirmed that it's Ong Tipparot.

Isn't their food much better than most of thoise mentioned in Lousy Planner Guidebook ?

Op, be aware that Thanon Pra Pok Klao runs between both gates: Chang Puak Gate in the north and Chiang Mai Gate in the south. Thapae Gate is in the east. Hope you eventually get to indulge in your noodles. :)

Isn't their food much better than most of thoise mentioned in Lousy Planner Guidebook ?

who really knows, but to survive selling noodles in CM you need to be good

this threads more amusing than the fish n chip one :D

somebody start a poll

Oh Boy ! People ! Look, sorry you missed your noodles, but believe me, this place is overrated. It's good, but in Thailand, good and even great is easy to find. Why not ask the tuk-tuk drivers where the best 'soup karaduk hmu' in your city is and then go there. Explore, find the best new something right where you live. Put equal effort into that and reap rewards right away.

Now, my 'gai op naam peung' lady at the Tues n Wed's (2 diff locations according to day) Dtalaat Nat, that's a different story. She's got THE BEST honey roasted chicken in town, and I travel special to find her.

Edited by realthaideal

Healthcaretaker,

You got some bad info suggesting that Chinese New Year Celebrations were only one day.

Unlikely if the shop owner knows now what days he will close or open for Sonkran and if he did, he might just change his mind later.

Finally, since his shop is as famous, he has a lot of business and profit and really does not care a lot if he was closed when you came or about hanging a sign out as you request, unless you someway mean more than a couple of bowls of noodles to him.

But knowing the owner, I will certainly tell him your story next time I visit him.

Thanks but I think the owner will appreciate your suggestion if you tell him to put a sign if closed for more than 1 day. That will save his clients trouble of going there everyday, especially tourists. Please tell him his stall was suggested a a top selling Chinese guidebook.

Out of those 3 days, I ended up eating at the nearby stewed pork rice managed by the Lady with cowboy hat, twice.

BTW, I am surprised Lonely Planet never mention them. Is it really true that LP only mention those with some "other" reasons ?

Just to give you an update, Healthcare

Since there has been some confusion about location and to maximize the possibility of assistance, I have visited 9 noodle shops around the south and north gates and communicated your concerns. I am sure one of them must have been the one that you are interested in. I ate a lot of bowls of noodles and had some good fun with the owners and their helpers. Seven of the nine said they would not be open for Sonkran, too much water, the other two said they were not sure. I liked the third shop the best, great broth and lots of veggies.

somebody start a poll

Please put an end to the misery and close this thread!

They do booming business, and it's an excellent late-night option. Aside from the pork bone soup, the small fish-ball look chin are a main characteristic.

They will likely be open during the Songkran period, evenings only.

To end the location confusion, it's inside the old town, just South of Chang Phuak gate. It's next to Pop Am restaurant, here:

post-64232-1267328276_thumb.png

Why? It's no worse than your average burger or fish & chips topic.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

somebody start a poll

eh? no way! esp when one of many F&C threads lasted 12 blimin pages :D

Healthcaretaker,

You got some bad info suggesting that Chinese New Year Celebrations were only one day.

Unlikely if the shop owner knows now what days he will close or open for Sonkran and if he did, he might just change his mind later.

Finally, since his shop is as famous, he has a lot of business and profit and really does not care a lot if he was closed when you came or about hanging a sign out as you request, unless you someway mean more than a couple of bowls of noodles to him.

But knowing the owner, I will certainly tell him your story next time I visit him.

Thanks but I think the owner will appreciate your suggestion if you tell him to put a sign if closed for more than 1 day. That will save his clients trouble of going there everyday, especially tourists. Please tell him his stall was suggested a a top selling Chinese guidebook.

Out of those 3 days, I ended up eating at the nearby stewed pork rice managed by the Lady with cowboy hat, twice.

BTW, I am surprised Lonely Planet never mention them. Is it really true that LP only mention those with some "other" reasons ?

Since there has been some confusion about location and to maximize the possibility of assistance, I have visited 9 noodle shops around the south and north gates and communicated your concerns. I am sure one of them must have been the one that you are interested in. I ate a lot of bowls of noodles and had some good fun with the owners and their helpers. Seven of the nine said they would not be open for Sonkran, too much water, the other two said they were not sure. I liked the third shop the best, great broth and lots of veggies.

Thanks. So this shop I mentioned fall into which of your 9 ?

Healthcaretaker,

Please what city are you in as there are no North and South gates so named in Chiang Mai.

Healthcaretaker,

Thanks. So this shop I mentioned fall into which of your 9 ?

Sorry, I do not have a clue but the odds are strongly against it being open during Sonkran. I sure did enjoy all those noodles though, went back to shop number 3 again for more today.

For those who are confused about the north and south gates, it is simple, the north gate is the main gate on the north side of the old city which if you go out and continue straight you will pass through Mae Rim on the way to Chiang Dao. That is why some people call it the Chiang Dao Gate. You can figure out the south gate now, AirPort Plaza Gate to some but to the far out it is the SanPatong Gate. Keep on truckin.

Ah...Sorry for all the confusion which I don't realise until Winnie put up part of the location map. I walked over from the Computer Plaza, near Kad Suan Keaw, pass the night food area where the Lady with Cowboy Hat selling stew pork rice, so it's the north moat. I kept thinking it's south because I used the impression I get from the Lousy Planet Guide. They only describe a night market at the south and never mention the food market on the north, so I thought it's south. My 10 days in Thailand must my have confused me, sorry for that. :D

Anyhow, my OP mentioned clearly the junction of the 2 road so my description is pretty clear that my "south gate" is a mistake !!

How come no one mentioned my mistake !! It shows nearly everyone responding is not really serious or just partially-minded :)

So Bill, I am sure you know which shop now.

I still hope someone is kind enough to find out for me whether they will open on Songkran when you go for your next visit. :D

Thanks again

Edited by healthcaretaker

• 4 weeks later...
Where are the best burgers in town? :)

That's easy. The best burgers are at the South Gate Noodle Shop with no sign, but it's not really near the south gate. But you won't find that info in the Lonely Planet.

Where are the best burgers in town? :)

That's easy. The best burgers are at the South Gate Noodle Shop with no sign, but it's not really near the south gate. But you won't find that info in the Lonely Planet.

From my travel experience, most of the Lousy Planet's recommendations on food are poor and most of the good places are not listed by them, maybe due to advertisement fees.

I only rely on their books for maps.