Looking For Basil Leaves Fry Meat Recipes

healthcaretaker

I cannot wait for nearly 3 months to get back to Thailand for this dish and I don't want to pay overpriced poor versions in my country :)

Can someone help to give me a recipe. I actually found a few versions but they need different ingredients.

I am looking for the simplest version done by street-side stalls where they fry with seafood, pork or chicken meat.

Which type of basil leaf is used ?

Thanks in advance.

I think you are talking about pad grapow. There are a couple of recent threads debating the subject, including recipes.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pad-Krapow-It-t320260.html

Have not seen lime leaves used before but no reason why not if it tastes good.

Not easily obtainable in Europe I think though I did find it in an Asian shop run by Vietnamese in Bermondsey, London. The widely available sweet basil does not do the same job at all.

Which country are you in?

Thanks for those replies.

I am from Malaysia. Not sure if holy basil is available.

What about stock ? is it required ?

I live in the UK and it's available here. It is apparently even possible to grow it here and they sell the seeds here in several places so I'll try to do that. I wasn't successfull last year. :-(

I spent a couple of days learning a little Thai cooking in London. I saw them cooking this Thai dish Gai karpow and they didn't have any Holy Basil at the time. It still tasted really nice. I might post it up later but it's a westernised version.

Go to a local Thai restaurant and ask them if it can be bought somewhere. Must be available in KL somewhere. If you are in the backwoods of any country then sourcing will always be difficult. There is a recipe por two on the thread I posted above

Go to a local Thai restaurant and ask them if it can be bought somewhere. Must be available in KL somewhere. If you are in the backwoods of any country then sourcing will always be difficult. There is a recipe por two on the thread I posted above

Thanks, I found your link.

• 3 weeks later...

In malaysia you can buy holy basil from the Hindu people.. find a store that sells incence and stuff and ask them for Tholasi leaf..

In Tamil its called Tholasi and they use it for offering to their Deities - as i was in Singapore and deprived of thaifood i used to go buy the holy basil (tholasi) from the indian shop which sold banana leaf, incense etc. In Malaysia there are many Tamil shops so should not be a problem.