Restaurant Review - Spring/summer

Meridian007

So I finally went to Spring/Summer with my girlfriend. We'd heard about it a lot so we decided to check it out.

The ambiance is great both inside and out. A beautifully tended yard, (I believe they term this area "Winter"?), with a very relaxed feel, and two re-imagined houses that make up the main restaurant, (Spring), and the choclatiere/cafe, (Summer).

The interior of Spring is very open-concept which gives it an airy feeling, while Summer is smaller and more comfy with its many couches. Great music in both places stays in the background where it belongs so that it doesn't disturb conversations.

Service was fine in both places, they didn't intrude too much, but were still available.

The location is great for the peacefulness of the place, but don't go there by BTS expecting to walk from there. It was a 30 minute walk, (we didn't realize it was so far away, we kept thinking, "it will be just around this curve"), so take one of the mini-trucks (Phuket-style tuk-tuks?) from the front of Soi 39 instead. For some reason, Soi Phrom Mit (where the restaurant is) can get really busy westbound traffic, so if you are driving, keep that in mind. The traffic made me glad that we didn't drive, I was happier to relax in the back of a taxi.

The food at Spring was okay, but not as good as the photos in the menu would have you believe. The prices aren't bad, but the food doesn't live up to the ambiance. Summer, on the other hand, has great desserts, and many chocolate-based beverages. The BTS, (Better Than Sex), dessert was really good, and is a "must have" if you go there.

All in all, I wouldn't bother going again for dinner at Spring, but I understand why Summer was so busy with its 20-somethings boosting their sugar levels before heading out to the clubs on Ekkamai. Both places have a "go to be seen" vibe, that some may like, or be annoyed by.