Exchange Rates At Airport

kharmabum

I can't remember the exact amounts from December now, although I have the receipt filed away somewhere in my records. I checked it over that first night though, and withdrew another 19,900 or so from an ATM a few days later when I needed a motorbike, and it was roughly equivalent. Sorry I don't have the exact figures unless I go through the receipts, but I DO recall the money-changers at the TMB office (from memory) were as generous as the ATM a few days later.

Do not exchange at the Airport, horrendous rates.

Go downtown opposite Central World, at the end near the temple area, go over the bridge, there are two exchange places down there name "Super RICH' , they do good rates. take ID with you. (Down soi 2 there is one, and down soi 1 there are two)

I'm not planning to stay in Bangkok. From airport Will either head to Victory monument to get a minibus to Ayutthaya or to the southern bus terminal for bus to Cha Am. haven't decided yet. How about changing money at the bus terminal near the airport? are they any better? I know the shuttle is free so I wouldn't need any baht until I arrived there. One problem might be it'll be after 6 PM.

I'm not planning to stay in Bangkok. From airport Will either head to Victory monument to get a minibus to Ayutthaya or to the southern bus terminal for bus to Cha Am. haven't decided yet. How about changing money at the bus terminal near the airport? are they any better? I know the shuttle is free so I wouldn't need any baht until I arrived there. One problem might be it'll be after 6 PM.

[/quote

i think better sleep 1 night in Bangkok and the next day you going to Ayutthaya or Cha Am up to you but Ayutthaya Good Choice hehe have a nice stay

The rates at the airport are a little bit worse. I think it's less than 1 baht/dollar worse but it's enough of a difference that you don't want to change large amounts. Best to just exchange what it'll take until you're able to visit an exchange place or bank.

Super Rich does not exchange traveler's cheques so that's not an option anyway. They only do cash.

There is a per cheque fee (used to be 30 baht) so you're better off with large denomination travelers cheques like $500 versus $50. $100 traveler's cheques tend to come out about the same as $100 bills. The fee roughly negates the slightly higher rate they give for traveler's cheques.

Before you fly, check the banks like SCB and see how much different it is when you land. Then you can decide if you're losing a lot.

http://www.scb.co.th/html/exchange/bk-txtexchange.htm

The rates at the airport are a little bit worse. I think it's less than 1 baht/dollar worse but it's enough of a difference that you don't want to change large amounts. Best to just exchange what it'll take until you're able to visit an exchange place or bank.

Super Rich does not exchange traveler's cheques so that's not an option anyway. They only do cash.

There is a per cheque fee (used to be 30 baht) so you're better off with large denomination travelers cheques like $500 versus $50. $100 traveler's cheques tend to come out about the same as $100 bills. The fee roughly negates the slightly higher rate they give for traveler's cheques.

Before you fly, check the banks like SCB and see how much different it is when you land. Then you can decide if you're losing a lot.

I agree about travellers cheques, they are excessively expensive.

If you use travellers cheques, what ya worrying about exchange rates.

Bring BIG notes in $US currency.

I always get good rates at Swampy.

Super Rich are good, but a hassle getting to them unless staying nearby.

Good luck.

The exchange rates at Swampy (the Bangkok airport) are NOT horrendous, they are in line with other branches elsewhere in Thailand - there are branches of at least four major banks at the airport and they are competitive amongst themselves. People tend to think of airport bank exchange rates as being really poor and in many countries this is true, it is not so however in Bangkok where margins remain quite low by comparison.

I have found UOB banks to be fairly good but there are not as many around as the bigger banks. There is one on On-Nut BTS station that i use the most . Normally i don't exchange money at Swampy as when i fly out of LOS i keep a few baht in my pocket for the next time i fly in . But the rates at Swampy are not much below the banks exchange rates elsewhere . It is a very different story here at Sydney airport where on Sunday as my gf left to come back to LOS the exchange was 24.something THB to the AUD but in LOS it was 29.somthing THB to the aussie dollar.

I agree about travellers cheques, they are excessively expensive.

If you use travellers cheques, what ya worrying about exchange rates

Bring BIG notes in $US currency.

I always get good rates at Swampy.

Super Rich are good, but a hassle getting to them unless staying nearby.

Good luck.

most banks give a slightly BETTER exchange rate when buying travelors checks as opposed to cash. they also give a slightly bettere xchange rate to travelors checks when selling. if using large notes/500$ to minimize the per check cashing cost you can get more for your money using checks over cash. also, there's alot less incentive for someone to rob your travellors checks than there is cash, no?

Edited by kharmabum

To change money at the airport at the airport or outside the airport? With cash it's simple - change the minimum at the airport and change the rest outside (pretty much anywhere - rates vary by +/- 10 satang). At the airport you're getting 1b per US$ less than outside. With travellers' cheques it could be different. Someone above commented that rates on cheques are generally better - but I wouldn't be surprised if they're still hitting you for the biggest part of 1b/$ at the airport compared to elsewhere. The advice about not bringing small denomination travellers' cheques to Thailand is good so keeping some smallish denomination foreign currency for changing at the airport seems good advice. The losses are nothing compared to the costs of making your way to a particular establishment in downtown Bangkok - whether you're sleeping in Bangkok or not - all places outside the airport offer much the same rates.

To change money at the airport at the airport or outside the airport? With cash it's simple - change the minimum at the airport and change the rest outside (pretty much anywhere - rates vary by +/- 10 satang). At the airport you're getting 1b per US$ less than outside. With travellers' cheques it could be different. Someone above commented that rates on cheques are generally better - but I wouldn't be surprised if they're still hitting you for the biggest part of 1b/$ at the airport compared to elsewhere. The advice about not bringing small denomination travellers' cheques to Thailand is good so keeping some smallish denomination foreign currency for changing at the airport seems good advice. The losses are nothing compared to the costs of making your way to a particular establishment in downtown Bangkok - whether you're sleeping in Bangkok or not - all places outside the airport offer much the same rates.

Most banks do generally offer about the same rate outside the airport. But there can be a significant differential for places like Super Rich. I've never used others like gold shops that other people have recommended, but apparently they beat significantly as well.

Right now Super Rich shows 33.02 for US $100 versus 32.57 at SCB and 32.67 at Bangkok Bank. For larger amounts, there's enough difference to make the trip if people are in the area. Adding a special overnight stay or taking a long taxi ride don't make sense, but it's right off the Skytrain. Another plus with Super Rich, is they seem more familiar with currency so seem less likely to reject bills. I think they have some counterfeit detection stuff in the back room.

For someone holding US $20 bills, the differential is even higher. 32.87 for Super Rich vs. 32.13 at SCB and 32.20 at Bangkok Bank. Note the 32.87 rate is higher than for US $100 at the banks.

http://www.superrich1965.com/app/our_rates.aspx

I can't remember the exact amounts from December now, although I have the receipt filed away somewhere in my records. I checked it over that first night though, and withdrew another 19,900 or so from an ATM a few days later when I needed a motorbike, and it was roughly equivalent. Sorry I don't have the exact figures unless I go through the receipts, but I DO recall the money-changers at the TMB office (from memory) were as generous as the ATM a few days later.

The best site to compare THB rates is this.

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

TO get current rate look after 9am BKK time.

I use large AUD American Expres T T, the commision is 33THB per cheque when away from BKK

In BKK I go to Super Rich.

Hope this helps, tell me what you think of the web site.

Apart from the security angle, I see no sense in buying travellers cheques.

The initial cost of travellers cheques and the surcharge many places have, defeats worrying about FX rates.

My first trip to Thailand yonks ago, I came with travellers cheques, never agin, noway Jose.

Just too expensive of a rip-off.

Most banks do generally offer about the same rate outside the airport. But there can be a significant differential for places like Super Rich. I've never used others like gold shops that other people have recommended, but apparently they beat significantly as well.

Amazing how we see the same things but have different recollections! :) When I fly in I'm usually carrying enough baht in my pocket not to worry about changing money straightaway but I did make it my business to compare rates at the airport with downtown and noticed a consistent one baht difference - one baht worse at the airport - that would have been over a year ago.

Last December we flew in and decided to fly straight up to Chiang Mai so we needed about a thousand baht more and with nothing in the bank decided to change a couple of twenties. All the banks were offering one baht less than the 'normal' rate.

Now the bank account's topped up with baht so no need to be checking the rates but the last transaction was indeed through a gold shop which offered abt 10 satang more than the kiosks.

The initial cost of travellers cheques and the surcharge many places have, defeats worrying about FX rates.

My first trip to Thailand yonks ago, I came with travellers cheques, never agin, noway Jose.

Depends - I don't pay any commission or charges from my bank when I buy American Express TC. They get a slightly higher rate than cash when changed. Cash cards are really expensive to use with very poor rates and CC charges are not good also. In addition I use my cc as little as possible. With the additional insurance given by TC I have mooved back to them after trying everything else.

Traveler's checks are a great way for banks to make lots of free money. Why? Because there are billions-of-dollars worth of unused TCs setting in their owner's homes ... sometimes for years ... that the issuing banks are making interest on.

Edited by HerbalEd

I always just bring a few hundred USD with me and change it at the airport. I try to use credit cards whenever possible. If my cash runs low or I need it for some place that won't take credit, I just use an ATM and withdraw it that way.

That way I'm not walking around with a bunch of cash on me. If the CC's get stolen, I'm protected. If fraudulent charges show up later, I just call the CC company and contest the charges.

I always bring multiple credit cards, and always leave all but one locked up some place safe. I also keep a "decoy" wallet in my back pocket.

Haven't yet been pick pocketed and haven't yet had an unauthorized charge show up on my credit card (from travels in Thailand).

The worst that happened to me, is my CC froze my account half way through a trip because they were worried about all the charges suddenly coming from Thailand. I just switched cards until I got back home.