Imac Vs Mac Pro

negreanu

Trying to decide between the imac and Mac pro. Has anyone used the mac pro desktop is it a better (faster?) product than the Imac?? I saw the one for sale in classified sections on thaisvisa looks like a good saving but not sure imac would be better or not.

The main advantage of the Mac Pro is that it is upgradeable. I bought an ex-demo 2008 model from a shop in Bangkok when the latest version was announced. It's got two 2.8 4 core CPUs and can handle anything you throw at it.

There is space inside for four hard drives and they are so easy to install. So I have a drive for the OS and programs, a drive for data, a drive to back up the first two drives, and a drive which I use to run Windows for games (makes a great gaming machine!).

You can stuff as much memory as you need inside, I have 10GB (don't buy from Apple). Upgraded the graphics card and running two monitors.

It's pretty much my perfect computer. Runs whisper quiet with 31 temperature sensors controlling a bunch of fans, none of which I ever hear. Built like a tank (weighs 18 kilos) and looks gorgeous.

Having said all that, you will get almost the same performance (without the expandability) for a lot less cash from the latest iMacs.

The main advantage of the Mac Pro is that it is upgradeable. I bought an ex-demo 2008 model from a shop in Bangkok when the latest version was announced. It's got two 2.8 4 core CPUs and can handle anything you throw at it.

There is space inside for four hard drives and they are so easy to install. So I have a drive for the OS and programs, a drive for data, a drive to back up the first two drives, and a drive which I use to run Windows for games (makes a great gaming machine!).

You can stuff as much memory as you need inside, I have 10GB (don't buy from Apple). Upgraded the graphics card and running two monitors.

It's pretty much my perfect computer. Runs whisper quiet with 31 temperature sensors controlling a bunch of fans, none of which I ever hear. Built like a tank (weighs 18 kilos) and looks gorgeous.

Having said all that, you will get almost the same performance (without the expandability) for a lot less cash from the latest iMacs.

Thanks for the info. The Mac Pro sounds the better option for future proofing. I like the sound of putting 4 SSD drives perhaps in Raid0 configuration and upping the memory to 12GB or something.

There are additional SATA sockets available, so you could have up to 6 drives inside if you are using SSD. I do fancy an SSD boot drive' waiting for the prices to drop.

Thanks.

I called the guy selling the mac pro in the ThaiVisa classified section. Seems a nice guy I asked him what his best deal would be he said that for 100000THB cash I could get the MAC PRO + 24" Apple LED cinema display from him all boxed. Which seems like a good deal I checked the apple store price and it would be around 160000THB new.

He said he put an extra graphics card in there so you can run it with 2 Apple cinema displays which would be awesome.

Problem is getting the 100k which I dont have right now, I imagine it will go before i get it. :)

Edited by negreanu

There are additional SATA sockets available, so you could have up to 6 drives inside if you are using SSD. I do fancy an SSD boot drive' waiting for the prices to drop.

Thanks.

I called the guy selling the mac pro in the ThaiVisa classified section. Seems a nice guy I asked him what his best deal would be he said that for 100000THB cash I could get the MAC PRO + 24" Apple LED cinema display from him all boxed. Which seems like a good deal I checked the apple store price and it would be around 160000THB new.

He said he put an extra graphics card in there so you can run it with 2 Apple cinema displays which would be awesome.

Problem is getting the 100k which I dont have right now, I imagine it will go before i get it. :D

He wants to get rid of it this week so he will throw in 2 64GB SSD drives to the buyer also :) Anyone want lend me 100k! :D

Edited by negreanu

Yeh I am trying to raise it! but not easy. He even said if I wanted to buy the macbook pro 13" he has also. He would be happy to sell the lot as one package for 135k.

Whats the chances on the thai lottery. :)

Edited by negreanu

I used to have a G4 tower (Quicksilver) a long time ago and I always regretted selling it and buying an iMac. I had the tower for years and always was able to keep it modern by upgrading the internals. The iMac is a good computer for most people but for any type of pro work the expandability of the towers can't be beat.

Is the MacPro he is selling the same one that is being sold by Apple right now? If so you may want to hold off as an update to the Mac Pro line should be coming soon and when it does the prices of the older models should drop.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Yeh it is the current 2009 model they are selling at the apple store just now. Seems to be updates due on everything but apple seem to this time be falling behind the competition with Mac Pro and Macbook Pro updates.

With the SSD, Second Graphics card and Apple Cinema display - still looks like a good deal probably even after the price drop.

I cant raise that much cash for it tho. So cannot buy it :)