Car Rental Nightmare In Chiang Mai

jbob

Hi Everyone

Needed to do a border crossing for visa so we rented a car for the day, 1200 baht + 5000 baht deposit. Car was an old 2000 honda civic automatic.

Filled the car full of fuel (1380 baht) and started our 9 hour journey to Mae Sai, 1 hour later we were on the side of the road with smoke coming from engine and a car that didnt start.

Fortunately someone pulled over and gave us a lift back to Chiang Mai where we spoke to the first guy which he assured us he would give us all our money back and pay for the fuel.

Found another car at a seperate rental place (much newer and better) and continue the trek.

Long story short, rang up the guy today and he isnt giving back any of our money and instead demanding an extra 3000 for the tow back to chiang mai and still wanting more money for repairs.

Went and spoke to the tourist police today to which they said there is nothing they can do its a civil matter and we have to sue.

Looks like I have 2 options,

a) sue for money back

B) accept the loss (no more than a speeding ticket) and ignore it

What would you guys do if you were in our position?

Edited by jbob

Always rent from a serious company. I have very good experience with North Wheels and Avis at CM. In Khon Kaen I used Thai-car-rent.

Never rent from a small shop, sometimes they use stolen cars, and hardly ever have real insurance. For rental companies, a special, expensive, insurance is needed. The shop will tell you they have insurance, like every car in Thailand, but usually they do not have the insurance they need.

It is possible that if they do not have the legal insurance for rental agencies, threatening with legal action might help, but I would not advise that.

Pay quickly (you might try to bring the price a bit down) and make sure that this story has definitely come to an end. Some rental agencies can and will charge you the day price untill the car is back on the road. You have signed that in the contract, but you probably did not read it. Ask for a decent receipt that brings the story to a final conclusion.

Every time I rent a car, I take a few pictures of the car.

Always rent from a serious company. I have very good experience with North Wheels and Avis at CM. In Khon Kaen I used Thai-car-rent.

Never rent from a small shop, sometimes they use stolen cars, and hardly ever have real insurance. For rental companies, a special, expensive, insurance is needed. The shop will tell you they have insurance, like every car in Thailand, but usually they do not have the insurance they need.

It is possible that if they do not have the legal insurance for rental agencies, threatening with legal action might help, but I would not advise that.

Pay quickly (you might try to bring the price a bit down) and make sure that this story has definitely come to an end. Some rental agencies can and will charge you the day price untill the car is back on the road. You have signed that in the contract, but you probably did not read it. Ask for a decent receipt that brings the story to a final conclusion.

Leave the country quick.

Totally agree with the above. Have used North Wheels and never any hassle. Always make sure that you rent a car with a good agency and using a 2000 year car is asking for trouble. Most reputable dealers in Chiang Mai us cars from new to about 2 years old depending on model.

Sorry for the troubles you have had, but am surprised that the Tourist Police were not so helpful. Have found them invaluable is resolving numerous problems that friends of mine have encountered with dubious tourist operators from various professions.

dan

I would probably drop your efforts to get your money back, but also ignore his demands for more money. I was involved in an accident once, and the police chief (who was very helpful, actually) explained that since it is a civil matter, he couldn't force us to pay anything, and that his job was just to help us negotiate with the other party. He said that yes, they could sue us, but that it would never actually happen because of the time and costs involved in a court case. There's a decent chance that this guy is just demanding money as a reaction to your request for a refund. If you let it drop, he will probably let it drop as well.

In Thailand you learn to take things in stride. While it is a piss off It would be easier to leave them hang on the extra funds & take the loss. I doubt if they are going to want to pay tea money out of pocket to try to recover the funds & even if it did make it to court they would ask you for it in writing stating the agreement made is verifiable. That & it would still probably cost you tea money. I have been burned here too & you just got to shrug and bite the bullet. Good point in the advice to use a reputable dealer. The major carriers at most go back 1& 1/2 Avis tries to sell at 10 months into a vehicle anywhere in the world. Turn & burn before they need to do warranty work.

The buses or a tour bus is so cheap well worth letting them take you in for a border crossing & the tour companies do all your paperwork for you & get in first. If you're not going for a visa run still worth using cheap transportation in & out to avoid the shim sham scams that people put you threw.

Edited by Beardog

You can get a Taxi For 2500 Baht from Chang Mai to Mai Sai Return

I was paying that OK it was last year around this time. Got picked up in At home Lamphun. Good steady driver would recommend.

Ok It's more expensive than the Bus IMO worth it.

I was paying that OK it was last year around this time. Got picked up in At home Lamphun. Good steady driver would recommend.

Depend what was the problem. If the car was overheated and the engine knocked, than it's the customers fault, as the driver has to watch the temeperature gauge always. Therefore it is in the dashboard. But most of peaple DON'T wathc the temperature gauge. So when the engine get hot, have to stop the engine immidently and see if water is missing or if electric fans still working, not wait until the headgasked is gone. A waterhose or a fanbelt can blow anytime, even new ones (chinese rubber). Personaly i wouldn't rent out a car for 30 Dollar for a 9 hour trip. To manything can go wrong (to much risk) for that small amount of money. Therefore many car rental agencies have minimal rental time of one week.

Depend what was the problem. If the car was overheated and the engine knocked, than it's the customers fault, as the driver has to watch the temeperature gauge always.

What a crock. In that scenario, it's mechanical and wholly the fault of the rental firm for not ensuring intact hoses/engine coolant/oil, you name it. And even if the temp gauge were in the red, that would still be down to the owner. The only thing you should be liable for are tyres and windscreen. This place should be forking out for extra transport, too.

Unfortunately there's probably not much the op can do as it's clearly a Micky Mouse operation. You could speak to him and tell him you'll go to the cops unless he gives back the deposit, or perhaps try to get half back at least. Think yourself lucky you never left passport/credit card. :)

You could speak to him and tell him you'll go to the cops unless he gives back the deposit, or perhaps try to get half back at least. Think yourself lucky you never left passport/credit card. :)

What a nonsense, Thai rak Thai and will always protect eachother, no matter if they are cops !

7500 is hardly worth "suing" over, just name and shame the company and move on.

Plus go in there and yell and shout, although it will not likely get you any money back, at least maybe it will save some other potential customers from making the same mistake after they hear story.

7500 is hardly worth "suing" over, just name and shame the company and move on.

Actually, please don't name and shame the company, at least not on Thai Visa.

I do agree that 7,500 Baht isn't going to be worth the hassle of any form of legal action.

Depend what was the problem. If the car was overheated and the engine knocked, than it's the customers fault, as the driver has to watch the temeperature gauge always.

What a crock. In that scenario, it's mechanical and wholly the fault of the rental firm for not ensuring intact hoses/engine coolant/oil, you name it. And even if the temp gauge were in the red, that would still be down to the owner. The only thing you should be liable for are tyres and windscreen. This place should be forking out for extra transport, too.

Unfortunately there's probably not much the op can do as it's clearly a Micky Mouse operation. You could speak to him and tell him you'll go to the cops unless he gives back the deposit, or perhaps try to get half back at least. Think yourself lucky you never left passport/credit card. :)

No it's not. Not protecting anyone, but the main damage cames trough the driver. If he would stop the car when it's getting hot, then would be no problem and a waterhose or a fanbelt can be replaced in a minute or so. A water gauge is fitted in the dashboard to inform the driver about possible dangers, when the car get's overheat. Hoses and belts cracks always here in Thailand, as many of those items come from China. I not protectig the rental company, but i say the driver is responsable as well, therefore we got water temperature gauges in a car and you no need to be a mecanic tho read them. Tho read the dashboard instruments is one of the first things you learn in a driving school, before you everget any driving license. Watching a water temperature gauge is the same thing as watching the alternator light or the oil light or even the fuel gaugesTherefore i would say it's fair to go on the repair bill on "half half. Both partie made mistakes. ""should inspect his car for leaks or possible problems, befre he rent it to some customer and the driver should watch the temperature gauge when he drives and he should check the fluid and water levels when he goes to a gastation.

If I were in your shoes I would not be happy also. You paid for something with the expectations that you were getting a quality product. I am sure you feel misled and taken advantage of. On top of that, they took your money. There is a way to get your money back without having to go to court and sue. You see, there are some guys on Beach Road in Pattaya that rent jet skiis. Give them a little cut of the money and I am sure they can get their point across.

No it's not. Not protecting anyone, but the main damage cames trough the driver. If he would stop the car when it's getting hot, then would be no problem and a waterhose or a fanbelt can be replaced in a minute or so. A water gauge is fitted in the dashboard to inform the driver about possible dangers, when the car get's overheat. Hoses and belts cracks always here in Thailand, as many of those items come from China. I not protectig the rental company, but i say the driver is responsable as well, therefore we got water temperature gauges in a car and you no need to be a mecanic tho read them. Tho read the dashboard instruments is one of the first things you learn in a driving school, before you everget any driving license. Watching a water temperature gauge is the same thing as watching the alternator light or the oil light or even the fuel gaugesTherefore i would say it's fair to go on the repair bill on "half half. Both partie made mistakes. ""should inspect his car for leaks or possible problems, befre he rent it to some customer and the driver should watch the temperature gauge when he drives and he should check the fluid and water levels when he goes to a gastation.

So, because the Thai owner refuses to fit the correct parts - i.e. made in Japan as opposed to made in China, then because they use cheap substitutes, it is the drivers fault that the hoses and belts crack? What rubbish!

As for overheating -That is not always the case!

If you have ever had a radiator hose go here, it can be different from in cooler climes, if you lose all the water, the temperature gauge does not "Go into the red" at all, that only happens when the thermostat fails or the water overheats.

In most cases of a blown hose, the temperature gauge will actually drop, not rise, as there is no water in the system to measure!

The problem here is IN ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING THAT THAIS do - THERE IS NO RESPONSIBILITY -They are like 5 year olds!

I once hired a car from AVIS, in a real country, after driving 500 miles, (luckily without a problem) I noticed a blip on a front tyre the size of an orange! Avis, drove out to where I was staying, took the car away, replaced it, with a much better model, refunded my hire costs (4 days) and gave me a free weekend hire valid for 6 months - that is the difference RESPONSIBILITY and ACCOUNTABILITY, not EXCUSES and DEFLECTING BLAME!

This is what is entirely at the root of most of this country's problems!!

Edited by billyliar

Depend what was the problem. If the car was overheated and the engine knocked, than it's the customers fault, as the driver has to watch the temeperature gauge always. Therefore it is in the dashboard. But most of peaple DON'T wathc the temperature gauge. So when the engine get hot, have to stop the engine immidently and see if water is missing or if electric fans still working, not wait until the headgasked is gone. A waterhose or a fanbelt can blow anytime, even new ones (chinese rubber). Personaly i wouldn't rent out a car for 30 Dollar for a 9 hour trip. To manything can go wrong (to much risk) for that small amount of money. Therefore many car rental agencies have minimal rental time of one week.

A proper serviced car does not overheat.

Most of the older cars I know just stop working when the engine overheats.

if the head gasket is gone in an old car it costs less than the 5000 Baht. I think we paid 3000 on our Volvo a couple of years ago in a backyard shop.

So, because the Thai owner refuses to fit the correct parts - i.e. made in Japan as opposed to made in China, then because they use cheap substitutes, it is the drivers fault that the hoses and belts crack? What rubbish!

As for overheating -That is not always the case!

If you have ever had a radiator hose go here, it can be different from in cooler climes, if you lose all the water, the temperature gauge does not "Go into the red" at all, that only happens when the thermostat fails or the water overheats.

In most cases of a blown hose, the temperature gauge will actually drop, not rise, as there is no water in the system to measure!

The problem here is IN ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING THAT THAIS do - THERE IS NO RESPONSIBILITY -They are like 5 year olds!

I once hired a car from AVIS, in a real country, after driving 500 miles, (luckily without a problem) I noticed a blip on a front tyre the size of an orange! Avis, drove out to where I was staying, took the car away, replaced it, with a much better model, refunded my hire costs (4 days) and gave me a free weekend hire valid for 6 months - that is the difference RESPONSIBILITY and ACCOUNTABILITY, not EXCUSES and DEFLECTING BLAME!

This is what is entirely at the root of most of this country's problems!!

And therefor where ever you need a car you'll take AVIS or if anyone ask you, you'll recommend AVIS.

So actually they turned the problem into opportunity......

My recommendation would be to just forget the case...suing is not worth the time.

Of course don't pay them anything more.

That's the spirit! get walked all over again! Until these people realise that they are not going to get away with it scot free and have a good laugh at our expense, then they will never ever appreciate the two words...RESPONSIBILITY and ACCOUNTABILITY...no it is not "Karma" it is not an act of Bhudda...it is the lack of accountability and responsibility!

I am currently trying to find out WHO is ACCOUNTABLE and WHO is RESPONSIBLE for my local 7/11 stopping the supply of butter?

They still supply the bread...but where is the butter...it has just disappeared!

Edited by billyliar

Totally agree with the above. Have used North Wheels and never any hassle. Always make sure that you rent a car with a good agency and using a 2000 year car is asking for trouble. Most reputable dealers in Chiang Mai us cars from new to about 2 years old depending on model.

Sorry for the troubles you have had, but am surprised that the Tourist Police were not so helpful. Have found them invaluable is resolving numerous problems that friends of mine have encountered with dubious tourist operators from various professions.

dan

I agree with the theme of the other comments, use the real thing.

A decade ago I used two different 'hole in the wall' rentals in CM, both times the car that turned up was very old, brakes didn't work etc., and on both occasions on return they accused us of damaging the cars and were very unpleasant.

Never again, I now regularly use Budget: easy to book, reliable, pleasant, no games, proper full insurance and on average maybe 200 - 250 Baht a day more, but well worth it for the peace of mind and more reliable vehicle.

dan

I agree with the theme of the other comments, use the real thing.

A decade ago I used two different 'hole in the wall' rentals in CM, both times the car that turned up was very old, brakes didn't work etc., and on both occasions on return they accused us of damaging the cars and were very unpleasant.

Never again, I now regularly use Budget: easy to book, reliable, pleasant, no games, proper full insurance and on average maybe 200 - 250 Baht a day more, but well worth it for the peace of mind and more reliable vehicle.

I used north Wheels a few years back, they are quite good, however after booking a Toyota Tiger 4 x 4 Automatic (3 months in advance) I was presented at the airport with one of those SHIT Mitsubishi Station wagon things, it was so flat and out of power, I had to slip the clutch in first gear to get up Doi Internon.

I parked it in Chiang Mai Tesco's and some <deleted> ran a trolley into the front end and put a very very small dent in it, being an honest person, I could not lie, and pointed it out to the guy collecting it from me from chiang Mai airport, totally expecting to lose my 5000 Baht deposit.

(sorry, I couldn't shit on anyone if it is my mistake)

anyway, he calls the real owner and the guy turns up in about ten minutes, takes a look at the dent and mentions the 5K.

I shrug my shoulders explain what happened, and he hands me 4K back! He said 1K can get this fixed!...so there are some honest people here!

Edited by billyliar

That's the trouble with unregulated 'cottage' industries here, anyone who can manage to beg, borrow or steal a car or bike can open a hire company or taxi service.

Make a few bucks until the vehicle shits itself and then move on to the next 'business plan'.

That's the trouble with unregulated 'cottage' industries here, anyone who can manage to beg, borrow or steal a car or bike can open a hire company or taxi service.

Make a few bucks until the vehicle shits itself and then move on to the next 'business plan'.

Exactly...50 baht in the hand is worth more than 1000 in the bush! Bugger return business, GET IT NOW!!!! They have probably being watching "2012".