Unessisary Alarmist Heads Up Warning From Thai Visa Admins

Afronaught

Firstly, back up your stament with a list of embassys issuing a travel werning, so that we may see fo ourselves.

secondly from reading this PM it only seems that you are trying to scare members into subscribing to an SMS service. I understand that you need to generate income and making money from the SMS service is good, but the way you are trying to accomlish this is unethical.

Your actions are irresposible and unessisary, and not helping the much needed tourist industry in the region.

Afronaught.

What is wrong with issuing warnings and trying to generate revenue?

People just like to complain I guess and use sites for free

no revenue = no thaivisa.com

Nothing wrong with earning money, just donot use this kind of doom scenario type of thing to promote it.

No need to make the horses wild and lets see what the Friday, 26th March 2010, will really bring for us. I actually believe that none of us farangs will be effected and if, it might be a minority, which most likely has not even signed up for Thaivisa at all (like Tourists getting stuck in Traffic due to Police Check points etc.). If you happen to have a Blackberry then you do not need the sms service anyway, because the Thaivisa "Breaking News" email will be sent straight to your email. At least this is the way I set it up.

I just deleted the thing straight away.

Regarding your point above - no members means no advertisers means no revenue.

I have to say I was dismayed to see that message in my inbox this morning too.

Alarmist? Yes. Needed? I doubt it.

Most of us have ways of hearing and seeing what is going on around us and to evaluate that information without having to subscribe to an SMS service that might be as bad as the 'tickertape' constantly flashing doom and gloom at the top of my screen every time I go to Thaivisa.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Ummm it IS true that multiple embassies have issued warnings leading up to the 26th and beyond.

I did just read the PM as thinly veiled advertising, but since I almost ALWAYS am connected to the internet (work, office, smart-phone) an sms service just doesn't make any sense.

There will always be someone to step into the breach.....probably. time for competition anyways...getting to be a bit of a yawn,,,,,,,,SORRY GEORGE C'EST LA VIE......

Thought we weren't allowed to link to the Bangkok Post?

Anyway, that still doesn't justify using these warnings to try and scare people into signing up for a paid SMS service.

I think you are implying about this post

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Post...te-t303104.html

Thought we weren't allowed to link to the Bangkok Post?

Anyway, that still doesn't justify using these warnings to try and scare people into signing up for a paid SMS service.

I asked the same questioned about the Bangkok Post a few days ago to George have not received an answer. My guess is TV is more interested in generating revenue than answering questions.

Edited by gotlost

27 Countries Issues Travel Advisories And Warnings For Thailand

Alert to be careful in Thailand over the coming weekend

I, in fact,use this sms service and find it quite useful. I like to know when the sh!t hits the fan. You don't, so no worries, you don't have to sign up. I would like to add, however, that everyone I know, thai and farang alike is talking about this upcoming friday with dread.

I, in fact,use this sms service and find it quite useful. I like to know when the sh!t hits the fan. You don't, so no worries, you don't have to sign up. I would like to add, however, that everyone I know, thai and farang alike is talking about this upcoming friday with dread.

Sorry but I have not heard much from my Thai friends and family or my expat mates about Friday, most are not really bothered.

No-one at work (50+ Thais & a few expats) or at home has even mentioned this Friday at all, let alone expressed any concern or worry about it. Same with all of my Thai or expat friends outside of work. Just business as usual all round.

Edited by dantilley

maybe its just the one's down Ko Phang (however its pronounced) SBK. Up here, all we care about is Pay Day and the long weekend - as do the majority of the local population I guess. :)

ah well, southerners tend to think the worst of Mr Thaksin and his crowd. And lets all be honest here shall we? Events in the past have proven to be rather alarm worthy. Burning buses, gas trucks parked in front of apt buildings, bombs in front of the courts. etc etc. Have to say, in my 20 years in Thailand, I've never seen this kind of thing going on outside of the deep south. But hey, what do I know? Clearly eff all :)

Terror advertising campaign for a stupid sms service.

George, please....

Indeed

I agree that it is scaremongering, just like the banner ad a while back that attempted to shock us into buying insurance "Because Your Laptop Will Be Stolen".

Absolutely

Yes George, in the public sector its called, "Covering ones backside".

Yep

Indeed

Pathetic bunch of complaints.....

I'd guess that the same people who are complaining about the 'warning' would also be the same people to complain if something happened and there were no such warnings...

From the British Embassy: "The political situation in Thailand is tense and uncertain. British citizens should exercise great caution throughout Thailand and avoid demonstrations or large gatherings of people that might turn violent. It is likely that there will be mass protests by anti-government demonstrators in and around Bangkok. A court decision due on 26 February 2010 is a potential flashpoint. If, as is quite possible, anti-government protests turn violent, British citizens should stay indoors and monitor the media and this website. "

I'll reserve judgement until after the weekend and then use my 20/20 hindsight and decide whether or not that this warning was necessary.

Regardless, it can never hurt to use your own intelligence, gather your own information and heed the warnings of our Embassies and Thai Visa and 'Be extra careful' around this time.

Do you 'Complainers' also moan about other warnings regarding your safety ?