As Farang, How To Prepare For Accindent/ Trouble

THAIPHUKET

My Thai long time partner after a bad but lucky fall rightfully asked=

What do I need to do if something real bad happens?

Whom to inform, police , embassy. Who decides what happens to your body in case of death.

What happens when you are in comma, who decides what ?

Who gives reliable counsel?

How to get cash, if needed.

How did you prepare for such undesirable but not unlikely event?

Relatives in your home country don't know what to do in Thailand either.

That's a good question.

No one want's to think about anything bad happening, but anything could happen at any time. I know the first person my wife would call is my mother who has been here twice. My mother would follow up with the embassy (in case of death) or if i was hospitalized in serious condition she would be on the next flight out here.

Most people have at least someone who they can notify in case of an emergency (at least i hope so) or some kind of support, so i guess everyone should have a contingency plan.

BTW: Good Post!

That's a good question.

No one want's to think about anything bad happening, but anything could happen at any time. I know the first person my wife would call is my mother who has been here twice. My mother would follow up with the embassy (in case of death) or if i was hospitalized in serious condition she would be on the next flight out here.

Most people have at least someone who they can notify in case of an emergency (at least i hope so) or some kind of support, so i guess everyone should have a contingency plan.

BTW: Good Post!

You or your friend if you can’t should Notify Embassy right away

If you should die make sure your wife has access to your Thai bank account.

The process here to get a dead persons money is not as simple as in Farangland. Marriage and death certificates are not enough proof for the bank to release monies. The process is long and complicated and unless the amount involved is in the 10ks it's sometimes just not worth the effort. (nice little earner for the banks) :D

This would be a difficult time for the wife and the last thing she should have to worry about is not having cash at hand.

What ever your particular situation concerning your money in a Thai bank if you don't want the bank to keep it do make arrangements for someone to be able to withdraw the money without having to go through a long and complicated process.

A simple way would be to put your PIN number in a sealed envelope to be opened in event of your death though I'm sure there are other more sophisticated ways. :)

:D

The British consulate also have a site where you can register you details with so in the event of an accident they have the details of the relevant people both here and back home to inform. It takes 2 minutes to fill and then you are covered. I believe here was a posting on TV somewhere or just try the consulate website ?

Just found it here

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...stering-with-us

:)

Edited by H2oDunc

Registering at your embassy is a first step. In case of a serious accident or death the police will also notify your embassy.

Notrmally the family decides what will hapen with the body, leave it hear or repatriate it. But that are things you should take care of in advance.

well timed post.

1. Register with embassy.

2. Have regular checkins with family or friends outside of Thailand. (Nothing makes my day like calling my dad and having him remind me I'm a bonehead. :) )

3. Draw up a sheet with key outside contacts (family, friends, work) and make sure it is accessible to a close trustworthy friend or partner. the sheet should have insurance policy info and emergency contact details. make sure that the medical insurance policy info is easily found.

4. Carry an emergency contact card with you in your wallet or pocket. (Especially important for single guys like me.)

5. Make sure you have a living will or other instructions and do not hesitate to make sure friends and family know how you would want to be treated in the event of serious injury or illness.

6. Have financial institution contact and info available for legal counsel, or close trusted family member. If I ever get jammed up, I can get help, although it might take a few days for the wire transfers to pass.

7. Always have enough food, water and money on hand to go 72 hours.

If I was in a coma or dead do you think I would give a rats @rse what was happening.

She knows my pin number. I've told her not to tell anyone about it until she's cleared out the account.

If she screws me over I'll come back as a jingjok and crap in her som tum.

The process here to get a dead persons money is not as simple as in Farangland. Marriage and death certificates are not enough proof for the bank to release monies. The process is long and complicated and unless the amount involved is in the 10ks it's sometimes just not worth the effort. (nice little earner for the banks) :D

This would be a difficult time for the wife and the last thing she should have to worry about is not having cash at hand.

What ever your particular situation concerning your money in a Thai bank if you don't want the bank to keep it do make arrangements for someone to be able to withdraw the money without having to go through a long and complicated process.

A simple way would be to put your PIN number in a sealed envelope to be opened in event of your death though I'm sure there are other more sophisticated ways. :)

Interesting point here. Any advice on what to do with a deposit account (with pass book), so my wife can get it after my demise (hopefully not too soon) :D .

I keep mine in my name only for retirement visa purposes, currently has over 1m Baht in it.

edited for a spellink missteak.

Edited by WeeGB

Points are well taken, tks.

The savings book accessiblity is one isue, because Siam Commercial Bank , e.g., does not allow disposal for another party except the owner. Is that different at other banks?

I dont care much, what happens to my body but family may want to repatriate the remains back to Europe.

Does anyone have an idea of the cost and formalities involved?

Interesting point here. Any advice on what to do with a deposit account (with pass book), so my wife can get it after my demise (hopefully not too soon) :D .

I keep mine in my name only for retirement visa purposes, currently has over 1m Baht in it.

WeeGB

I'm no authority on the subject just recalling what happened when the wifes father died couple of years ago. His wife (widow) tried to get the money from his account but as I said it was not that simple so as it was only a few thousand baht it really was not worth the hassle and we left it.

In your case I would definitely make a will clearly stating who your beneficiary is so there will be no exuse of a delay waiting for possible claimants to show up. I would keep a copy of the will with the solicitor ( I presume you can do that here) so it does not get lost in a house fire or eaten by termites. :)

As long as the wife has access to monies for daily needs and to meet the immediate expenses, she then has time to go through the procedure of claiming the money in your deposit account.

Since moving to Thailand, I have taken up 5 different religions and pray to each God twice a day.

So far I have survived here with no major problems.

So, does that mean with 5 different gods, praying twice to each of them that you pray 10 times a day? :)

My partner knows my PINs and my parents. They all know to send the body to Wat Hualomphong in BKK if I am there. I haven't prepaid for a cremation for myself up here in ChiangMai yet but I will as soon as I get to know the abbot at a temple nearby.

My family knows what to do with the property in the US and my partner knows what to do with everything in Thailand. Life (and death) are simple. It's the 'comma' part that scares me .... but the partner knows he should just trip over the life support cords when leaving the room :D

Not something that many people like to think about,and understandably many do not care about death thinking that after they have gone they have no worries,the scary bit is what will happen if you do end up in a coma or a not being able to take care of yourself through a stroke or terminal illness.

JD i am interested in the cost for a cremation here,i had a friend die in Pattaya some years ago and i think they just asked for a donation at the temple...they recieved 10.000 bt.

Funny how the old saying goes...you come in to this world with nothing,and you leave with nothing...spiritually i suppose this is true! but these days too many people die abroad, leaving a bureaucratic mess for there family to deal with.

A very good topic.

It's "funny" how things work, I was thinking about starting this very topic last week after the sudden death of an expat who I knew...

Poor bugger died of a heart attack, only discovered some days later in his house due to his absence on the golf course. He had no wife in LOS and had only moved to our town a months back, kept himself to himself.

His daughter was luckily contacted via an email sent from one of his few friends here, and she came over. The poor girl was in a terrible state for the 3 or 4 days she was here - the cremation/ceremony was OK (although typical Thai amateur style at the temple), but trying to sort out her dad's things was a nightmare for her.... it wasn't helped that several articles went missing from her dad's house, including his wallet and laptop...

The US consulate have promised to help get his bank account closed and monies repatriated and to they shall try and get his safety deposit box opened too. But getting her dad's things in order was a big headache.

What I have learned from this tragic situation - let those nearest and dearest to you know how to get their hands on your belongings/assets, and let some local Thais know know how you want your cremation/burial/body repatriation to be handled... oh, and if at all possible, get the cops involved as little as possible!

Know one really likes to think about it, but you never know when you time is up, and it's your loved ones that will suffer hugely for any lack of foresight you might have had.

Regards

Jim

WeeGB

I'm no authority on the subject just recalling what happened when the wifes father died couple of years ago. His wife (widow) tried to get the money from his account but as I said it was not that simple so as it was only a few thousand baht it really was not worth the hassle and we left it.

In your case I would definitely make a will clearly stating who your beneficiary is so there will be no exuse of a delay waiting for possible claimants to show up. I would keep a copy of the will with the solicitor ( I presume you can do that here) so it does not get lost in a house fire or eaten by termites. :)

As long as the wife has access to monies for daily needs and to meet the immediate expenses, she then has time to go through the procedure of claiming the money in your deposit account.

Daffy d - thanks for the good advice, will get on to it next week, after the bank holiday. Though I'm not planning to pop my clogs just yet. :D

Not something that many people like to think about,and understandably many do not care about death thinking that after they have gone they have no worries,the scary bit is what will happen if you do end up in a coma or a not being able to take care of yourself through a stroke or terminal illness.

JD i am interested in the cost for a cremation here,i had a friend die in Pattaya some years ago and i think they just asked for a donation at the temple...they recieved 10.000 bt.

Funny how the old saying goes...you come in to this world with nothing,and you leave with nothing...spiritually i suppose this is true! but these days too many people die abroad, leaving a bureaucratic mess for there family to deal with.

A very good topic.

The donation for a stranger (Wat Hualomphong handles the corpses unclaimed after traffic accidents) is 500 baht. I am pretty sure that while being treated "respectfully" that it is likely more on the order of mass cremations. I paid for 6 strangers and at the wat hualomphong foundation then visited the abbot to deal with pre-paying for myself. He thought it was very odd :D All-in I paid a bit under 8k I think .. was a couple of years ago. In fact I should ask the partner where that receipt is :)

I'd be very careful about this, set her up with her own account with some reserves in it, but be careful about giving away the keys to the kingdom, things may change over time,

and never be worth more dead than alive.

If I was in a coma or dead do you think I would give a rats @rse what was happening.

She knows my pin number. I've told her not to tell anyone about it until she's cleared out the account.

If she screws me over I'll come back as a jingjok and crap in her som tum.

• 4 months later...

As ex-pats here, I think we try to balance on a difficult line:

1. Trying to make sure that our wife or SO, once we have died, can get the proceeds of our estate without a lot of undue delay or complication.

vs

2. Following the oft-stated (and in my opinion) wise adage mentioned here on TV:

You never want to be worth more dead than alive in Thailand.

I'm a bit wary about handing over all the details of PINs and account numbers and such while I'm alive. Since I'm the one ultimately responsible for ensuring our (and her) financial well-being now and in the future.

But if I were to die today, my fiance/wife wouldn't have a clue about how to begin to access all of my finances and multiple accounts, most of which remain in U.S. accounts.

I need to find a solution to this issue. I'm just not sure what that solution is.

As ex-pats here, I think we try to balance on a difficult line:

1. Trying to make sure that our wife or SO, once we have died, can get the proceeds of our estate without a lot of undue delay or complication.

vs

2. Following the oft-stated (and in my opinion) wise adage mentioned here on TV:

You never want to be worth more dead than alive in Thailand.

I'm a bit wary about handing over all the details of PINs and account numbers and such while I'm alive. Since I'm the one ultimately responsible for ensuring our (and her) financial well-being now and in the future.

But if I were to die today, my fiance/wife wouldn't have a clue about how to begin to access all of my finances and multiple accounts, most of which remain in U.S. accounts.

I need to find a solution to this issue. I'm just not sure what that solution is.

For your US accounts, get a will and keep it with a lawyer.  You don't have to tell your wife much now, only that she should contact that lawyer should you die.  In that will, you can leave instructions as to your accounts and how to access them.

Agreed... I do think that is a smarter approach than simply handing the wife (now, and hopefully some decades ahead of my eventual death) a list of all the account numbers and access codes and such.

I've seen and heard too many stories since moving here of things going wrong in those kinds of situations. And I don't mean only thru criminal conduct, though that certainly has occurred between spouses and been recounted here on TV. But even thru well-intentioned situations of the wife wanting to help Thai family members, or getting into personal financial trouble, etc etc...