Chemotherapy

nokia

Dear CM folks,

I have a relative who needs regular chemotherapy for cancer, and is considering coming to Chiang Mai for chemotherapy if the costs are reasonable.

Anybody knows the approximate cost of a session of chemotherapy or is the cost based on a case-by-case situation?

Thanks anyway!

Khun Nokia wrote :

I have a relative who needs regular chemotherapy for cancer, and is considering coming to Chiang Mai for chemotherapy if the costs are reasonable. Anybody knows the approximate cost of a session of chemotherapy or is the cost based on a case-by-case situation?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Nokia,

There are so many different forms of cancer, and so many different variations of chemotherapeutic regimens used in their treatment in varying combination with surgery, radiation therapy, bone marrow transplant etc.; you really need to talk to a medically expert person, and give them the details of your relative's cancer.

We got very good treatment at the Sriphat Medical Center here in Chiang Mai's Maharaj Medical Center complex, on Thanon Suthep, near Wat Suan Dok, from Thailand's leading oncologist, Dr. Loavicharn, for my human's tongue cancer that included chemo and radiation.

There are newer "monoclonal antibody" treatments for some cancers that are astronomically expensive; there are chemo regimens, like the one we had, that involve ingredients like Taxotere, Cisplatin, and 5-<deleted>, that cost in the range of a few thousand US $ per session.

Suggest you get as much technical detail in writing as you can about your relative's condition, and go out to Sriphat, and try and get to see Dr. Loavicharn, and get a consultation. The "number two" doctor in the Oncology Center there is a brilliant Thai woman (Dr. Pimkwan ... unsure of spelling) who did undergrad work at Stanford, medical training at Harvard, and post-doc Oncology certification at Johns Hopkins.

Please feel free to PM us if we can be of further help.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

It depends on what cancer you relative has and what type of chemo he/she is on.

The price at Sripat would be cheaper than Bumrungrad and RAM definitely.

However you can order chemo tablets directly from the menufacturer/suppliers and save 30-40%

Please PM if need more details.

My relative(aunt) has advanced stage breast cancer and the monthly cost for the chemotherapy (radiation not needed) is slightly more than US$2k.

i'm not really sure whether she's currently receiving the new "monoclonal antibody" treatments but we will find out the technical details from the doctor at her next visit. Her funds has run out, and for the rest of the family members, it's a tough decision on what to do next. :)

Even if it is cheaper in Thailand, we are not sure if she is willing to move & spend her final days (she's in her 70's) in a foreign country with us.

My relative(aunt) has advanced stage breast cancer and the monthly cost for the chemotherapy (radiation not needed) is slightly more than US$2k.

i'm not really sure whether she's currently receiving the new "monoclonal antibody" treatments but we will find out the technical details from the doctor at her next visit. Her funds has run out, and for the rest of the family members, it's a tough decision on what to do next. :)

Even if it is cheaper in Thailand, we are not sure if she is willing to move & spend her final days (she's in her 70's) in a foreign country with us.

Please accept my sympathies for your Aunt's condition, and for the stress you and your family must be experiencing dealing with her situation.

This may, or may not be relevant, but : assuming your Aunt is a U.S. citizen, you do realize that the US MedicAid program is not going to cover any expense outside of the U.S. ?

There are some other issues to think of also :

1. the possible extra cost of imported medications in Thailand which your Aunt may require ?

2. the possible variation in treatment that the oncologist here might prescribe compared to the oncologist or clinic back in the U.S. ? would an oncologist here be willing to follow another doctor, or clinic's recommendations ?

There are so many unknowns here : I think going out to Sriphat with as much detail as possible on your Aunt's cancer's TNM Cancer Stage Classification , treatment plan, medications, etc., is the best thing you can do to plan further.

In terms of your Aunt's choice and future, may I suggest your family in the U.S. be in contact with the American Cancer Society's local chapter; they often are expert at helping people connect with resources.

Edited by orang37

Please accept my sympathies for your Aunt's condition, and for the stress you and your family must be experiencing dealing with her situation.

This may, or may not be relevant, but : assuming your Aunt is a U.S. citizen, you do realize that the US MedicAid program is not going to cover any expense outside of the U.S. ?

There are some other issues to think of also :

1. the possible extra cost of imported medications in Thailand which your Aunt may require ?

2. the possible variation in treatment that the oncologist here might prescribe compared to the oncologist or clinic back in the U.S. ? would an oncologist here be willing to follow another doctor, or clinic's recommendations ?

There are so many unknowns here : I think going out to Sriphat with as much detail as possible on your Aunt's cancer's TNM Cancer Stage Classification , treatment plan, medications, etc., is the best thing you can do to plan further.

In terms of your Aunt's choice and future, may I suggest your family in the U.S. be in contact with the American Cancer Society's local chapter; they often are expert at helping people connect with resources.

SawadeeKrap Khun Orang37,

Thank you for your sympathy & for bringing out very relevant issues. Although we are Asians, not Americans, but the points 1 & 2 that you mentioned are very true. We are not sure whether any imported medications are needed & whether the Thai oncologist will follow the doctor back home's recommendation. We will keep these in consideration . Thank you for your advice.

best regards,