Two Judges In Thaksin’s Frozen Assets Case Seek 'Safe House'

webfact

Two judges in Thaksin’s frozen assets case seek 'safe house'

BANGKOK: -- (TNA) - Two judges have sought a 'safe house' to concentrate on their work in the lead-up to their court ruling on Friday whether or not to confiscate the frozen assets of convicted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the Court’s Secretary-General said on Wednesday.

Wirach Shinvinitkul, secretary-general of the Courts of Justice, said all nine judges are free and not confined. However, they can request a place to work besides their own offices. Two judges have made the request so far.

There will be no live broadcast on television on the date that verdict will be issued but only the voice of the judge reading the verdict will be broadcast. If Mr Thaksin has more evidence, he can submit it to the court for a review, he said.

However, the delivery of the verdict will not be postponed, Mr Wirach said.

Pongthep Siripongtiganond, one of nine judges responsible for the case, said he and his colleagues have not lost concentration and do not fear despite rumours about a bribery attempt.

It’s normal that such rumours spread before a verdict is due to be delivered, he said. All of the judges remain focused on their work, Justice Pongthep said.

The telecom tycoon-turned-prime minister was ousted in a bloodless coup in 2006 after months of protests against his family's sale of shares in a telecommunications firm to Singapore's Temasek without paying tax.

Prosecutors accused Mr Thaksin accumulated wealth by abusing his power as prime minister. The 76.6 billion baht in assets belonging to Mr Thaksin and his family members represent cash deposits now frozen at local banks.

Mr Thaksin is now living in self-imposed exile, mostly in Dubai. He jumped bail to avoid a two-year jail term for violating a conflict of interest law for helping his then wife secured a plot of land in Bangkok at a below the market price while he served as prime minister. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-02-24

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I wonder why the term 'safe house' has been used. There's nothing in the article to suggest any threats against the judges safety.

Voice of Thaksin magazine recently published articles about political assassinations, followed up by an article with names and addresses of judges.

I wonder why the term 'safe house' has been used. There's nothing in the article to suggest any threats against the judges safety.

Casting the reds in an evil light as usual

The Red have proven themselves to be violant and evil. They are the one created so much violence and problem last April. And they are the one continue to advocate violence if nothing goes their way.

If shoe fits….. You know what I mean

There will be no live broadcast on television on the date that verdict will be issued but only the voice of the judge reading the verdict will be broadcast. If Mr Thaksin has more evidence, he can submit it to the court for a review, he said.

However, the delivery of the verdict will not be postponed, Mr Wirach said.

How do we really know that the judge isn't being told at gunpoint what to say? What's the reason for no live broadcast and no television?

Voice of Thaksin magazine recently published articles about political assassinations, followed up by an article with names and addresses of judges.

An article in a newspaper doesn't mean much. A lot of people would know where the up and ups live. And I am pretty sure that hired assassins would be told where and when they are to do their dirty deeds without them having to read a paper!

It was inappropriate to report that 2 judges have relocated. It was wrong because it is a breach of security and it was wrong because it violates the judges supposed impartiality. Throughout the world, many judges are given additional security. It is not broadcast for security reasons. Inapropriate reporting.

^I'm sure judges also fear attacks from the YELLOWS if it doesnt go their way. (already suggestions from yellows bribes have been taken)

I wonder, have there been any threats of attacks from the PAD/NPP, as there have been from some of the Red-Shirt leaders ?

^I'm sure judges also fear attacks from the YELLOWS if it doesnt go their way. (already suggestions from yellows bribes have been taken)

I wonder, have there been any threats of attacks from the PAD/NPP, as there have been from some of the Red-Shirt leaders ?

Of course not, they only said that they will accept any ruling.....

need safety from their wives maybe... got to take the mia noi somewhere.... 555

I don't understand what the work that these judges are meant to have is after all they have allready been told what to decide haven't they?

Why don't you offer some proof for your libelous claims?

Edited by way2muchcoffee

need safety from their wives maybe... got to take the mia noi somewhere.... 555

I don't understand what the work that these judges are meant to have is after all they have allready been told what to decide haven't they?

It seems they did not take Thaksins money

^As you must offer proof that what the lad says isnt true??? :)

Sorry. It's impossible to prove a negative in most cases, this being one of them. Moreover, I didn't make any libelous claims. The burden of proof lies with the accuser.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

It was inappropriate to report that 2 judges have relocated. It was wrong because it is a breach of security and it was wrong because it violates the judges supposed impartiality. Throughout the world, many judges are given additional security. It is not broadcast for security reasons. Inapropriate reporting.

This is not the first call to censor news that may be seen as detrimental to the red shirts made by their supporters here. (Another poster on a different thread accused the Nation of publishing inflamatory comments made by the red leadership and said they should have been edited out). Unfortunately guys, that sort of censorship went out the door the same time your leader did. If the reds don't want unsavoury comments or news printed then they should refrain from making them. (In this case, the story is a direct result of the veiled threats made by Sae Daeng).

Edited by ballpoint

The Red have proven themselves to be violant and evil. They are the one created so much violence and problem last April.

LOL!

How do we really know that the judge isn't being told at gunpoint what to say? What's the reason for no live broadcast and no television?

I honestly don't think it takes that much; they're very much part and parcel of the establishment; I think they readily take 'guidance', and I strongly suspect they consider that the right thing to do. Judges should be focussing on reconciling facts with the law. This, however, is Thailand.

Why don't you offer some proof for your libelous claims?

And while we're at it, let's ask the same from the Yellows:

"Samran Rodphet, spokesman for the New Politics Party, the political arm of the yellow-shirt People's Alliance for Democracy, claimed four judges in the nine-judge panel had accepted bribes."

Be very interested to hear why the above isn't a libelous claim. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

^As you must offer proof that what the lad says isnt true??? :)

Sorry. It's impossible to prove a negative in most cases, this being one of them. Moreover, I didn't make any libelous claims. The burden of proof lies with the accuser.

not in thailand

And while we're at it, let's ask the same from the Yellows:

"Samran Rodphet, spokesman for the New Politics Party, the political arm of the yellow-shirt People's Alliance for Democracy, claimed four judges in the nine-judge panel had accepted bribes."

Be very interested to hear why the above isn't a libelous claim. :)

Good point, if the NPP is going to make accusations like this, they should present their evidence for them.