Am I Being Ripped Off Or Not ?

johnoko

Am I being ripped off or not ?????????????????

I'm expat working and living here in Thailand for the last 4 years. And I have a container with my personal belongings coming in from home. Now I just received a call from my shipping company telling me that because the visa in my passport dates back to 2007 and has been extended the last 3 years but my work permit dates back to 2006 and because those two dates are not the same, they say I suddenly have to pay import tax on the incoming container.

Does anyone have any experience relating with this matter ?????

Have a look at the Thai customs page http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...old#requirement

It is important that the used/secondhand household effects must be imported not earlier than one month before or not later than six months after the arrival of the importers. Under exceptional circumstances, Customs may extend the time limits for the importers.

It would appear on the information you gave that you have exceeded the six month deadline therefore duty must be paid, how much is up to the customs etc.

I have no experience of shipping in Thailand but I do have some in other countries. My experience has been that shippers will often try to take advantage and add costs at the last minute. I had household goods shipped from the US to the UK many years ago using a reputable US shipper - unfortunately, their UK handler was less than professional and tried to stick me for a demerage charge (delaying a ships departure) because I had not completed a form that the agent never sent or told me about. The solution on that occasion was to agree to the charge, have my goods delivered, pay the requested sum by cheque and then put a stop on the cheque and invite the shipper to sue me (which they never did)

I wouldn't suggest similar tactics for your situation but from what you have written it does sound as though you are being had - is the agent that you contracted with a Thai agent or is the request for additional money coming from an overseas agent?

I have no experience of shipping in Thailand but I do have some in other countries. My experience has been that shippers will often try to take advantage and add costs at the last minute. I had household goods shipped from the US to the UK many years ago using a reputable US shipper - unfortunately, their UK handler was less than professional and tried to stick me for a demerage charge (delaying a ships departure) because I had not completed a form that the agent never sent or told me about. The solution on that occasion was to agree to the charge, have my goods delivered, pay the requested sum by cheque and then put a stop on the cheque and invite the shipper to sue me (which they never did)

I wouldn't suggest similar tactics for your situation but from what you have written it does sound as though you are being had - is the agent that you contracted with a Thai agent or is the request for additional money coming from an overseas agent?

Sounds like he is being had? Based on what since you don't even know the regulations? Based on you being pissed of for something that happened to you many years ago is in fact the truth yes?

The agent is correct. If you have a work permit, you must import your goods with 6 months of issue, or tax and duties will apply.

There is a way of paying less tax and duties but that info will cost ya.

Sounds like he is being had? Based on what since you don't even know the regulations? Based on you being pissed of for something that happened to you many years ago is in fact the truth yes?

The agent is correct. If you have a work permit, you must import your goods with 6 months of issue, or tax and duties will apply.

There is a way of paying less tax and duties but that info will cost ya.

There's a significant caveat at the start of the above post which you may not have understood, despite it being written in simple English!

Requirements for Duty Free Allowance

Both Thai and non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties. It is also required that the imported used/ secondhand household effects have been owned, possessed, and used in the country where the importers resided before returning to Thailand to resume residence.

In case where the household effects are electrical appliances e.g. radios, televisions, refrigerators, microwaves, ovens, air conditioners, etc., only ONE unit each of such items is eligible for tax and duty free allowance. However, if it is the family change of residence, TWO units each of the items will be allowed to bring in tax and duty free. Any excess unit shall be subject to regular taxes and duties, and Customs will place the items that have the lowest rate of duty under tax and duty exemption.

It is important that the used/secondhand household effects must be imported not earlier than one month before or not later than six months after the arrival of the importers. Under exceptional circumstances, Customs may extend the time limits for the importers.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

Maybe this helps....

:)

I would definitely get another quote because Perkin Logistics just tried to screw me big time on my shipment to Thailand. Everyday they would call me back with more bogus reasons as to why I had to pay more money.I transferred the money to their account and then the next day they would call saying it was going to cost more. When it got to 84000B I told them to cancel it and I would do it myself. After a week they reluctantly agreed to return the money I had paid so far minus their ridiculously high fees that that they claim they had already paid out. They originally quoted 22000B to clear it through customs which I paid in advance only to have phone calls each day for more money. They too said I needed to pay duty etc etc which was not true. It cost me only 7000B to do it myself and I paid no duty.. Do not trust any shipping companies they are crooks and liars and it is really quite easy to do it yourself.

I would definitely get another quote because Perkin Logistics just tried to screw me big time on my shipment to Thailand. Everyday they would call me back with more bogus reasons as to why I had to pay more money.I transferred the money to their account and then the next day they would call saying it was going to cost more. When it got to 84000B I told them to cancel it and I would do it myself. After a week they reluctantly agreed to return the money I had paid so far minus their ridiculously high fees that that they claim they had already paid out. They originally quoted 22000B to clear it through customs which I paid in advance only to have phone calls each day for more money. They too said I needed to pay duty etc etc which was not true. It cost me only 7000B to do it myself and I paid no duty.. Do not trust any shipping companies they are crooks and liars and it is really quite easy to do it yourself.

Sorry, let me get this straight, what did you Import into Thailand where you didn't have to pay 1 THB Import Duty & you " done it " ( Cleared Customs ?? ) yourself ??

Contact another moving company to verify the actual rule. i recommend Santa Fe. They are well establish and i would trust them. Good luck

excellent company! they brought in a 40' high cube container loaded with 60 cubic metres or our belongings for peanuts (compared to the value). when the container arrived in Pattaya the padlock a friend, who supervised the loading, attached was intact.