Whats Up With The Guys Selling Gas In Bottles On The Corners?

how241

Same reason the Thais go to the local mom and pop shop rather than Tesco's. Convenience. That plus the gas is sold in a not full 70cbottle so you do not get a litre so they make a little bit on each bottle. Same quality just less. Its called capitalism :)

They usually sell to motorcycles, not cars.

Convenient for motorcycles who don't need to make a special journey to a petrol station. Doesn't meet any sort of safety standards either, what safety standards?

I have seen bottles of petrol for sale next to a candle lit lamp used for lighting, booom! I haven't checked to see if they are still there!

Most service stations have a minimum fill (my service station 50B at current prices) because it is simply not worth the effort to turn the pump on to sell one litre (32 B ) for 45 satang profit.

Much easier to sell 200 litres to the guy who goes and divides it up into the whisky bottles, which BTW is illegal (selling fuels without license, storage facilities not up to code, numerous safety standard breaches etc). :)

Obviously you have never run out of petrol/gas on a motorbike on a long trip. These resellers are a god sent, long may they prosper. Same In Indo every small village has one or more. How else would rural people get fuel?

In BKK they have vending machines but up country?

Here in the south of Phuket a many gas stations close at sundown for some reason, and after 10pm....forget it. If you are in a car, planning to do much driving at night, and getting low, you have to really plan ahead. I had to use the roadside sellers with my car once becaue I didn't realize I was almost out. These roadside sellers and the newer small self serve pumps are the only way to get gas at night. I always wondered if the reason the big stations closed so early was to support the local economy that resells the gas at the roadside stalls. Crazier things have happened!

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Most sll bikes have a small radius. Driving around in Sa Kaeo, there is often no way I can go to a regular gas station, there are none. In every small village a few shops have a few bottles, usually 91 daeng. They up the price to 40 THB.

Most sll bikes have a small radius. Driving around in Sa Kaeo, there is often no way I can go to a regular gas station, there are none. In every small village a few shops have a few bottles, usually 91 daeng. They up the price to 40 THB.

Must be pretty old stock.

91 "daeng" hasn't been sold in over a month. It is now 91 "leu-ung".

Many of these little motorcycles have incredibly small fuel tanks, 4 to 5 litres. I've been caught out a number of times nearly running out of fuel and these places that sell the bottled fuel are a great saviour. Its a little more expensive, but who cares.

There are also those atm style fuel bowsers around the place, another good idea.

Here in the south of Phuket a many gas stations close at sundown for some reason, and after 10pm....forget it. If you are in a car, planning to do much driving at night, and getting low, you have to really plan ahead. I had to use the roadside sellers with my car once becaue I didn't realize I was almost out. These roadside sellers and the newer small self serve pumps are the only way to get gas at night. I always wondered if the reason the big stations closed so early was to support the local economy that resells the gas at the roadside stalls. Crazier things have happened!
=scubabudda date= 2010-02-15 :) as i understand it the goverment say's petrol staions must close at 9pm/? to save fuel.?? :D:D but every one and his dog sells petrol in bottles and of course the vending m/c's so we dont have to worry, if we have a petrol fuel'd vehicle.never mind the laws, and if the red shirts want to play the country is full of molotov's, always has been. it adds to the qaintness of the country. could never understand it. But here is my complaint I have a diesel I cant get fuel on the road side, they used to sell coconut oil but?. I get called out to help people , and woe betide me if i dont have half a tank , could use cooking oil i suppose,I made some bio diesel once,from used cooking oil, still have the mixer, but the chemicals one has to use make it are highly worrying :D but it was about 12baht a litre to make

back to the bottles i think its a 10baht profit on a bottle min, so it buys some rice random :D